Status
Not open for further replies.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The issue isn't the dragon. It's having a set idea about the construction of buildings. Take Dinotopia (James Gurney) for example, where humans live with dinosaurs. Everything is built to accomodate dinosaurs, so doors are large, dining tables have room for a dinosaur to stand, writing is on scrolls which are easier for the dinosaurs to read... etc.

It makes sense that where there are dragons, there are dragon-sized buildings.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
The issue isn't the dragon. It's having a set idea about the construction of buildings. Take Dinotopia (James Gurney) for example, where humans live with dinosaurs. Everything is built to accomodate dinosaurs, so doors are large, dining tables have room for a dinosaur to stand, writing is on scrolls which are easier for the dinosaurs to read... etc.

It makes sense that where there are dragons, there are dragon-sized buildings.

i will take that into consideration.

are Castles thought of as dragon-sized, typically?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Castles are human size, but with some grand areas. See my blog. Even Hukvaldy's courtyard wouldn't hold too many mega-sized dragons, and iirc that's the third largest castle in the world. Helfstyn, a little smaller, also wouldn't hold too many mega-dragons in the courtyard.

This is why I make all my dragons roughly horse-sized now :D

Your castles could have dragon sized wings and human sized wings, but you won't be getting many dragons in that last hold out area or tower. Sorry dragons, you're doomed when the invaders overcome the first wall. Maybe they have a grudge about this. A few dragons could take over an area and build their own dragon sized defenses... declare a king... raid the local trade routes... good times...

Your world is what you make of it. Let your imagination wander.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Castles are human size, but with some grand areas. See my blog. Even Hukvaldy's courtyard wouldn't hold too many mega-sized dragons, and iirc that's the third largest castle in the world. Helfstyn, a little smaller, also wouldn't hold too many mega-dragons in the courtyard.

This is why I make all my dragons roughly horse-sized now :D

Your castles could have dragon sized wings and human sized wings, but you won't be getting many dragons in that last hold out area or tower. Sorry dragons, you're doomed when the invaders overcome the first wall. Maybe they have a grudge about this. A few dragons could take over an area and build their own dragon sized defenses... declare a king... raid the local trade routes... good times...

Your world is what you make of it. Let your imagination wander.

what books have you read about dragons that you liked the best?

thank you for the blog link. are you from/living in Eastern Europe?

my husband is from Romania. :)

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My family is from from Poland. I was born in Delaware.

I don't know what dragon books I like best. I like dragons, but not always in books. I write mine different from most...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right. Those are the dragon books I like best. I havent picked up the fourth yet though...

:)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. They smell bad, poop a lot, can't be litter-trained, and are general indoor nuisances, knocking holes in roofs, setting fire to the couch, those kinds of things.

caw

Nimram

sometimes woefully inaccurate
Registered
Reaction score
my husband is from Romania. :)

We have the "balaur" in Romania. Basically the evil dragon with more than one head. You can find them in most romanian fairy tales.
Sometimes they live in a castle of their own.

Last edited:

darkelf

Lurking in darkness
Registered
Reaction score
I think if I were the dragon and I was being sent to fly aimlessly around while everyone else was doing important stuff, just because they couldn't be bothered to talk about this stuff where I could be included, I wouldn't be too happy. From lifting the roof off so I could see too, to making mischief/trouble elsewhere, to changing sides to people that genuinely appreciated me... I wouldn't put up with that kind of lack of respect. I'm assuming this is a talking dragon, and I don't see any dragon being relegated to a peon role willingly. I'd expect a dragon to be defiant, inclined to take charge and give orders, take over the army, and to hell with the people that couldn't be bothered to talk to me.

Just my 2 cents. Instead of a flaw, you could turn this into plot.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Er, Darkelf, it is a plot. May I refer you to the aforementioned Naomi Novik?
Her main dragon character Temeraire is a rebel at heart, though constrained by the Regency sensibilities of his human captain. Another dragon, Iskierka, is the very definition of gleeful disobedience.

darkelf

Lurking in darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, you've missed my point.

The OP was complaining that her dragon was always away, while everyone else was inside talking and planning. I suggested rather than just bringing the dragon inside, like many posters suggested, to make the circumstance an opportunity for more plot rather than just modifying previous scenes to include the dragon.

I've read Naomi Novik and am very familiar with that story as well as the Pern dragons mentioned earlier. I wasn't discussing any of those, but specifically addressing the problem (I was thinking of it as a scene flaw) of her dragon always 'outside' while everyone else was 'inside'.

darkelf

Lurking in darkness
Registered
Reaction score
No harm done :D I just wanted to clarify because if you misunderstood, you were not likely to be the only one; I wasn't clear in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.