Future for Historicals

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading this forum and finally registered to be an active participant because of this thread. I've learned alot from reading this thread and many others. I've skidded to a stop sending out queries because of the economic downturn, plus I kept having these images of agents yanking out their eyelashes over the changes in publishing due to the recent economy. I've wondered what advice the "collective mind" might offer, particularly for historicals. Thanks

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I second donroc. What's your historic period - any tidbits of info about your book you can pass on?

Also, have you found the Share Your Work forums (considerably up the page). There's a specific forum for historicals and a lot of interesting posts (plus challenges going on right now). If you haven't, check it out - and welcome to AW. Puma

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should continue to query (but honestly, at this point, I'd wait until mid-January until the agents are back from hols and have cleared their post-holiday mess away a bit).

There will always be room for historical fiction. You may not sell a novel right away, but it is never too soon to begin working with an agent.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks DonRoc and Puma for the advice. I will resume after NYD.

Puma, it's based upon the ordeals of a German-American father and daughter during WWII. The daughter is a civilian nurse in the Phillipines, trying to avoid internment and running into trouble while back home in New York her parents (who never naturalized) are interned and fight repatriation to Germany. This is the log line-In THE ISLE OF EDEN, a father and daughter of German-American heritage are thrown into separate perils during World War II, both seeking redemption while trying to survive.

My vision was that each MC would experience a "Heart of Darkness" style gut-wrenching journey, and I think I accomplished that. I finished revisions and pushed my WC down to 105,000 words. I sent the query out to five agents, no hits, but I stopped because of the havoc in the publishing industry. I think my query would benefit if I could find a debut historical to compare it too, but so far, nothing. Any ideas?

Just registered and wanted to introduce myself, i will check out the SYW. Thanks

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
A bad economy combined with the fact that people are reading less, and bookreading competes with a host of other entertainment options, publishing is suffering. Borders is going under, imprints are disappearing, editors are losing their jobs, and agents are competing for fewer spots on lists.

Although I think the recent downturn maybe makes it harder to sell a book, publishers still need to produce a product - and agents need books to sell to editors, and the world keeps spinning round and round.

As far as historicals go, my editor recently bought a book set in ancient Rome. My agent recently sold a Western trilogy, and this week she negotiated a deal for me with Berkley for another two-book contract, a pair of sequels for THE TORY WIDOW (my most recent which will be published in April of 2009) which is a series on the American Revolution.

Historicals are selling. Agents are looking, and editors are buying, and so you should be querying - and querying widely.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up. Agents are looking for something they can sell - who knows what the economy will be like when you finish making the revisions the agents wants? Spiff up your query and go for it!

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ikp, fundidream and palmfrond.

Congrats fundidream! Your success is good news for all of us.

It's so hard to break in and with the economy spinning the outlook seemed bleak. I'm feeling better about the query process now, and once I start back I will follow it to the end of the trail, even if that means going to a conference to pitch it. (That would be a new experience). I made a promise I would spend as much time on getting it published as I did writing it.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A bad economy combined with the fact that people are reading less, and bookreading competes with a host of other entertainment options, publishing is suffering. Borders is going under, imprints are disappearing, editors are losing their jobs, and agents are competing for fewer spots on lists.

Although I think the recent downturn maybe makes it harder to sell a book, publishers still need to produce a product - and agents need books to sell to editors, and the world keeps spinning round and round.

I heard from a bestselling author, who researched this very question, that the reports of readerships dropping and publishing suffering is a load of crap. He was saying the during every election year (and month) sales drop, but they pick up for Christmas. And, since it costs less for a novel than say dinner and a movie, in a depression, writers profit. This year, while on tour, he and Brandon Sanderson doubled their sales and signings. They will maybe sell less in airports or truckstops, but that it related to traveling not sales as a whole. Furthermore, Barnes and Noble and Borders aren't really going under, they're consolidating and downsizing staff. But, if they do fall a few notches, it's because the internet sales from Amazon and other resources are eating into the in-store sales. Anyone who'd like to see the article, I have it in pieces, request it, and I'll pm the parts to you.

Basically, it says, genre fiction never faces a recession.

Last edited:

jeany

Registered
Reaction score
During the Great Depression in the 1930's, wasn't there an increase in popularity of historical adventure and/or romance on the big screen? At least that's the impression I have. People appreciate an occasional good escape even more in hard times. It was the same for books..."Gone With the Wind", etc. Maybe an increase in readers' interest in historicals could offset the publishers' downturns?

I work part-time at a chain bookstore in a rural area where there's never been a huge base of readers, but there's always been some faithful customers. We used to sell only new books, then a few years ago the big corporate office started experimenting with selling a few used books. Now used books are a big part of the store. Since we have inexpensive used books along with new ones, there are as many customers as before now, if not more. People like to trade in their old books and get store credit to buy new books. I myself like having used books at the store, because I think it brings in people who weren't into buying books before, and they get hooked and start looking for new books coming out by their favorite authors. A new book usually costs less than dinner and a movie, like Inarticulate Babbler says. So I think even with all these used books and markdowns, people will still be wanting to read good historicals if they are good enough.