Yay!

Did you see my ETA?

ETA: Have to go out.

Last edited:

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes i got the ETA... still dont understand the pupose of them. But i'm not a very organized person myself.

have fun while your out!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty good. Torn between looking at self-publishing stuff regarding my non-fiction book, revising the beginning of Weeping, and writing a blog post. Thus I have all three things open and running right now. Yay for multi-tasking.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I'm currently writing but i also have my Biochem book open becuase I'm "Studying" and one of my beta reading works open which i'm "reading"

I fail at multi-tasking right now, but good news is i'm actually writing and i just wrote 1K in half an hour!!!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually quite excellent at multi-tasking. Always have been. It comes in handy. But yay for progress!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
YAY! i havent worked on the House in a month! Now i cant stop! But now my damn new idea is bugging me and driving me insane at the moment.

Odd question. And i know when i ask it someone is going to say something along the lines of "well it depends on how you depict hima and blah blah blah" but i'm asking for a personal impression. Your first impression.

Child named Sullivan, what kind of kid do you picture? Description wise?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I picture a blonde kid with crappy shorts and scraped up knees. Trouble-maker, but really good at not getting in trouble because he's also adorable.

Okay, apparently I get to walk back to my house now. My dad just called to tell me he can't find my cat, meaning I get to go look for her. Be back in a bit.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
heheheheeheh! I like that description!

After this weekend i started changing the names of my Second Generation characters. Why? Becasue Pip and Laura's first son was going to be named Oliver. But i really love the name Oliver and after me and my bf were talking i realized I'd rather have that name open as an option for my own kid one day. See i have a rule that i could never name a kid of mine the same name as one of my characters... long story as to why, but point being if i name the Charater Oliver the name is off the table.

But i'd been calling this kid Oliver for years now... and always associate the name with his description. Tall and lanky thin with shaggy red hair, freckles and dark blue eyes = Oliver to me.

But since i'm looking to change his name i had to pick a name that was uncommon, somewhat gaelic and still gave me that over all same description in my mind when i thought of the name. I came up with a whole list but the one i like the most was Sullivan because his nickname could be Sully which is freaking adorable and awesome IMO. But i'm not really getting the same descriptional picture in my head as Oliver.

Then after reading a thread posted somewhere else on here i realized that nameing two main characters with the same first initial was a big huge no no. Well my orginial second generation characters were Addison (Addy), Zackary (Zack), Oliver (Oli), Andrew (Andy), and Zoey. See my problem Two A's and two Z's... So i started shifting the names around... but now all the discriptions are off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Now my head is all tangled up on this issue again. What do you guys think is it that big of a deal that two characters have a name that start with the same letter?

If so the two main people i'm thinking about changing the sames of are the original Oliver and Zackary. I thought i had made up my mind with Sullivan (Sully) and Nathan (Nate) but i realized that another more minor character in the series will be named Nick... This is all causing my head to spin...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
That's what i figured which is why i was going to sort of change Andews name... His full name is Andrew Daniel Finnigan so everyone ends up calling him Finn because he doesnt really like his first name.

There is also the problem of my MC's siblings. Well just Addy's her little brothers name is Arden. Or Ardy. On top of all that there mother who is the MC in this series name is Named Allison (Ally)... Yeah i have a thing with A names...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Having characters that start with the same letter isn't too huge of a deal if they don't sound to similar. As Para said, Addy and Andy are waaay too similar. But you could have a Moira and a Mark (random example), but while they start with the same letter, they're otherwise completely different.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Currently adding ridicoulously overpriced things to my Amazon wish list.

Ari -- I have decided to take another leaf out of your book and am going ro order the stuff I want from Myndology when I hit 50K, ie. near the end of Underdogs. I hope.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So do you guys think either Zack and Zoey are too similar or Nick and Nate, or Addy and Ardy? I think the late one is but i'm all out of names...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Okay Lisa.

Zack and Zoey you can probably get away with. Nick and Nate MAYBE, and the last one...no.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Addy and Ardy sound almost identical to my ear. There's very little difference in pronunciation.

Nick and Nate are both one-syllable contractions of classical names ending in a hard consonant.

Zack and Zoey aren't quite so similar to the ear, since they have different numbers of syllables, but they have the same number of letters, so they look quite similar to the eyes.

I'd be switching all of them.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
That's what i'm looking to do... but between the the names i have set aside for my kids its limiting down the potential pool.

And Nate and Zack are th same person, so i'm trying to figure out which one to use that will cause less problems with the other characters Zoey and Nick... who happen to be siblings Ironically. Both those name I CANT CHANGE!!! because they have actual signifigance in the series... Nick most of all because he's named after his dad's (Rob) best friend who was killed in my 4th book.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
How can you be running out of names? There are about a million and a half names out there, most of which you'd probably never even think of, but they're still awesome.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You could change both Nicks. Or the second Nick could be known by a different and completely unrelated nickname.

Status
Not open for further replies.