Status
Not open for further replies.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Ok, so I was driving today -- and when I'm driving and not picking my nose, I'm thinking. I got to thinking about China this past summer, how it would be cool to go again this coming summer, and thunked to myself: But you don't have any money, Zach. None a-'tall.

But I could! Maybe. And this is where some of your expertise may help me.

I was thinking of writing a travelly-type book about Beijing. I want to make it directed toward college students, focusing a lot on the nightlife, the restaurants, cool places to go. And I'd include direction cards, both with maps and directions written in Chinese that one could hand to one's cabby.

I'd also include a lot about the history: name out some of the cooler, more historically thick sites to visit in Beijing, give directions to them, say why they are what they are, why they're where they are and in the condition that they are, etc.

It'll be an intimate portrait, delving deep into the culture and how one should comport oneself -- as well as haggle, which is of dire importance.

Anywho. I wanted if there was any way that some publisher or somesuch would actually pay for me to go, under a contract of course, to research this stuff better, get really detailed and accurate with it. I know publishing houses used to do things like that, but for some reason I doubt whether they do anymore.

Anyone got any insight?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
Ok, so I was driving today -- and when I'm driving and not picking my nose, I'm thinking. I got to thinking about China this past summer, how it would be cool to go again this coming summer, and thunked to myself: But you don't have any money, Zach. None a-'tall.

But I could! Maybe. And this is where some of your expertise may help me.

I was thinking of writing a travelly-type book about Beijing. I want to make it directed toward college students, focusing a lot on the nightlife, the restaurants, cool places to go. And I'd include direction cards, both with maps and directions written in Chinese that one could hand to one's cabby.

I'd also include a lot about the history: name out some of the cooler, more historically thick sites to visit in Beijing, give directions to them, say why they are what they are, why they're where they are and in the condition that they are, etc.

It'll be an intimate portrait, delving deep into the culture and how one should comport oneself -- as well as haggle, which is of dire importance.

Anywho. I wanted if there was any way that some publisher or somesuch would actually pay for me to go, under a contract of course, to research this stuff better, get really detailed and accurate with it. I know publishing houses used to do things like that, but for some reason I doubt whether they do anymore.

Anyone got any insight?
Hi Truman,
Have you written travel books before? You may get an assignment if you have, but it's really unlikely you'd be commissioned by someone (like Lonely Planet, for example) without published travel-writing experience. Check out what guides are out there--you may be able to get an assignment updating an existing guide; I almost took a position right out of college as an updater (although it was many years ago, I bet they still hire people to do that). The travel guide market is dominated by a few major players, so it should be pretty easy to see what is out there and how you might be able to break in.
Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Book

Publishing houses still do things like this on a regular basis, but as Nomad says, you probably have to have some serious writing credits to get paid before you actually write the book.

AdamMac

Back for more
Registered
Reaction score
And the money for that kind of updating work is notoriously poor.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Going to add my damp blanket to the pile (sorry truman). Your target demographic of college students is also too small to interest any pub with pockets deep enough to finance such a venture.

On the other hand, I'll bet you could sell a magazine piece or four based on your experiences of last summer. Travel, college, and general interest mags (depending on your slant) are all potential markets. With a few of those credits under your belt, who knows...?

Status
Not open for further replies.