MS Office for iPad now available

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"Anyone with an iPad will be able to download the new Office apps for free from Apple’s iTunes app store starting today, White explained. The free versions allow users to read or present Office files. But only users who have paid for an Office 365 subscription, $99 a year for a typical consumer, will be able to edit and create documents."

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/new-microsoft-ceo-nadella-breaks-from-the-past-with-office-for-ipads-182641287.html

$99 a year sounds expensive to me. I won't buy it, unless I can get a cheap version from my job. Last year (or 2012?) the company had some deal with MS that let us buy full versions of Office for $40. I snatched that up for my Macbook.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone try this yet?

I'm sick of waiting for Scrivener for iPad, so I'm trying to evaluate whether Apple iWork+iCloud or MS Office+OneDrive will be a better bet going forward.

I've been using iWork, and it seems like a more mature solution for Mac users at the moment. However, Office's prevalence in enterprise will guarantee the dominance of the file format.

There's also Google Docs+Drive, but while cloud integration is important to me, I don't want a cloud-only solution.

$99 a year sounds expensive to me. I won't buy it, unless I can get a cheap version from my job. Last year (or 2012?) the company had some deal with MS that let us buy full versions of Office for $40. I snatched that up for my Macbook.

It's a bit less expensive when you consider it also includes the Windows versions for up to 5 computers and devices.

I expect Office 2014 for the Mac will also be sold through Office 365 subscriptions.

I'm hoping the work on Office for iPad means the next Mac version will be better than what we've gotten in the past.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting side note: I was updating apps on my iPad yesterday and noticed that MS has put out free read-only apps for PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, for the iPad.

So I can look at PowerPoints and lectures notes etc, just not create any. Interesting.

I downloaded the apps but haven't actually played with them yet so don't know how well they work.