The Bouncy Castle in Space

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - forgot the main reason I checked in here. Reading everyone's posts and catching up got me sidetracked.

I mentioned a while back that a small publisher really liked my PB I submitted, but wasn't sure. She said she'd put it in her maybe pile.

Today, three months later, I received an email from her saying that she was still considering it and that I'd hear from her soon.

I wonder if that means she just loved it so much that she can't get him out of her mind? Or if she's just trying to keep me on the fence?

anyway, I don't know if I should bounce or just ignore it. I had been considering sending her something else, but maybe I should wait a little longer?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today there was an extraordinary occurrence in 4th grade. Rich Junior, class turtle extraordinaire, climbed halfway out of his tank to perch on the edge, which he has never done before. And THEN, he turned his head up and to the left and started reading an essay about a short story about a special education student who adopts an injured...wait for it...turtle!

Well, we were all terribly impressed. Now I know what I'm going to write for that class as an end of the year present...the life and times of Rich Junior Turtle, secret scholar! Who knew, all these years at school, he's been learning like crazy...

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Today there was an extraordinary occurrence in 4th grade. Rich Junior, class turtle extraordinaire, climbed halfway out of his tank to perch on the edge, which he has never done before. And THEN, he turned his head up and to the left and started reading an essay about a short story about a special education student who adopts an injured...wait for it...turtle!

Well, we were all terribly impressed. Now I know what I'm going to write for that class as an end of the year present...the life and times of Rich Junior Turtle, secret scholar! Who knew, all these years at school, he's been learning like crazy...

Love it! And then you can expand it into an early middle grade novel. With a great character like Rich Junior Turtle, Secret Scholar, it'll be a surefire success!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay - forgot the main reason I checked in here. Reading everyone's posts and catching up got me sidetracked.

I mentioned a while back that a small publisher really liked my PB I submitted, but wasn't sure. She said she'd put it in her maybe pile.

Today, three months later, I received an email from her saying that she was still considering it and that I'd hear from her soon.

I wonder if that means she just loved it so much that she can't get him out of her mind? Or if she's just trying to keep me on the fence?

anyway, I don't know if I should bounce or just ignore it. I had been considering sending her something else, but maybe I should wait a little longer?

Sounds good, sissy! Stay positive. And definitely bounce! :TheWave:

Is there any reason you can't go ahead and submit it elsewhere? Did you promise exclusivity?

:roll:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Kitty. I just love your stories. You should start a newspaper column. Kitty's Korner, or something. I'm totally serious.

Smish - no, I haven't promised anything. I just haven't been doing a lot with it after two agents from two different agencies loved it, but didn't love me, I guess. I'm not finding a lot of publishers to send it to.

I wondered, since she thought it sounded British (?) if I should try to send it to British agents, but I don't know if that's done. Actually, I had thought about sending her something else, but then she just showed up again, and I think I'll wait for now.

Thanks for the feedback, BTW.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score

Trouble is, you never know. I had a PB submission sit with a publisher for, umm, well, years. I prodded a couple of times, but I never took it elsewhere. Suddenly, it came to the top of a pile, and will be out early 2013.

I've given up guessing these things. Who knows? I had a feeling that one day, my PBs would come to see light of day, and eventually, it happened.

Personally, I'd give it a little more time and focus on something else for a bit. Not advising you do what I did and leave it years, but personally, I'd give it at least another couple of months.

But it depends how important this one project is to you right now. If you have other things to get on with, that's what I did. Things move slowly in the publishing world, so I find it's best to move onto the next project and leave things a while. But that's just me. :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
My friend got to bring the baby home yesterday! Talk about amazing... They've been trying to have a kid for years, did all the infertility stuff and found out she had a problem that probably couldn't be fixed with surgery. So they decided to foster with the hopes of adopting, and the agencies have caused every delay known to humanity, including losing the medical clearance forms THREE times. They still aren't officially approved as foster parents--the first of 3 Home Studies was scheduled for this week.

Then lo and behold, the baby needed a home. NOW. To top it off, he was born on their wedding anniversary. How cool is that.

My friend is absolutely radiant right now. I've never seen her so calm and happy. I haven't met the little guy yet, but his sweater is almost finished! One more sleeve and the ties still to go...

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Judy! How exciting. Somehow I missed that the little fellow was being adopted. I know they are walking on clouds. How wonderful.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I give you, Rich Junior Turtle! Note that there are three essays but he's reading the one about the turtle (the other two are about a kitten).

richjuniorturtle.jpg

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for your friend, Judy! :snoopy:

Rich Junior Turtle is so smart! :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Judy!

Kitty - what a hilarious picture. It really looks like the turtle climbed up to read the essays. So funny!

Are we flying the Bouncy Castle flag at half mast today? So sad to hear about Maurice Sendak passing away.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:everyone. It's good to see that everyone is doing well, and life is generally bouncy :) I finally have a computer again! And, even more exciting, we have kitties!! We adopted them from the humane society on Friday, and they are As soon as I figure out how to transfer my pictures from the new camera, I will post pictures of them in all of their epic cuteness. The kids seem to be very happy to have extended the family again, and yeah, I'll admit they are doing the trick for me too.

Anyway, I'm excited to be back and to be able to talk to you all again!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're back, too, Spiral. And I'm glad you have fur folk at your house again, too. They are great stress reducers.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
aww... I want kitties! But with two terriers, I don't dare. So my son and I watch Too Cute on Animal Planet and feel sorry for ourselves.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spiral's in the Bouncy Castle! :e2woo:

Glad things are improving for you guys. Kitties! Definitely post pics when you can. :e2cat:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
*whew*

My terrier went head-to-head with a very large rattlesnake today... Barking and barking right in its face. Fortunately the big ones (and this one was BIG) give you a long warning before they strike, so I was able to get her away before she got munched.

Ah, the joys of outdoor living...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad the dog wasn't bitten! Rattlesnakes freak me out. I know we should be greatful for the warning, but snakes are not babies. They should not have rattles. It's weird, right? No? The cheese stands alone. :e2cry:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DUDE. Rattlesnakes are scary. Kudos to your dog for surviving her encounter.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be offline for a few days. I expect you guys to be on your best behavior. My spies will be watching. If I get a negative report, you'll be in big trouble. The bouncy castle will be deflated, the party dirigible will be grounded, and no brownies or milkshakes for a month.

I mean it. :D

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
DUDE. Rattlesnakes are scary. Kudos to your dog for surviving her encounter.

It must be a good day for rattlesnakes today. I took my kids on a science hike. Luckily I didn't hear the guide tell the kids at the start that they were taking a longer route around the creek as she'd seen a rattlesnake there earlier in the day. The kids told me on the way back, all matter-of-fact. I was glad I didn't know until we were almost back, or I'd have been freaking out the whole way.

As it was, it was a gorgeous day for a hike. A rattlesnake would have spoiled my enjoyment for sure.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
The bouncy castle will be deflated, the party dirigible will be grounded, and no brownies or milkshakes for a month.

I mean it. :D

Dude, Smish is hardcore. But I'm wondering ... is it all chocolate, or just brownies? ;)

Omigosh, Judy, for as much as I love my dog (also a terrier), I would not have had the presence of mind to get him away from a huge rattlesnake! Soooo glad to live in a snake-free region!

Love the scholarly turtle! And the T-rex further up.

I got a new full request today, and a partial upgraded to full yesterday, so I'm bouncing about that - AND I've written just over 10,000 words on my WIP. :hooray:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for Joy! fingers crossed like pretzels.

I was out at a training for most of the day today. When I came back in at 1:00, all 27 kids swarmed me! A truly dangerous group hug. You'd think I'd been gone for weeks! It is nice to feel appreciated.