Typos

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a manuscript to a publication and afterwards found two major typos in it. The typos are such that they would cause someone to scratch their head when reading them. I would like to call the editor (who is approachable via phone) and ask if I could resubmit my manuscript. Would this be bad form or ruin my chances of acceptance?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If the editor likes the work overall, he/she will contact you and you can discuss fixing it. In general, calling is frowned upon. Fix them in your original so they don't go out again.

Vaulted

Must try harder.
Registered
Reaction score
If it was an e-sub, could you just email the corrected copy with an apology?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Trust the editor. Do not call, do not send a corrected manuscript.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... I might write them about the typos. Probably not, for the reason James states. Eds know their business. Then again, oversights can still occur. So what you might do is write them a brief note about the typos if and only if you get an acceptance from them and then just state what they typos are. Don't resubmit a new ms. Again, though. It really isn't called for. Next time just be more careful. These things happen to everyone. G'luck.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a manuscript to a publication and afterwards found two major typos in it...
One way to avoid this in the future is to simply not read your work again when it's out on submission. It should be finished and gleaming by then, so there's no reason for you to reread it unless you're preparing for another round of submissions.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with you're e-mailing the corrected copy and asking the editor to discard the original. I've done that many, many times and have never had an editor react negatively.

While I think it's important to nurture writer/editor relationships, they're not gods, and they make mistakes, too. If you're hesitant about approaching them with something like this because it might "rock the boat," you need to have more confidence in your abilities as a writer and what you can bring to their table.

In the future, I'd take the advice from Silver King. Your stuff should be polished and ready for submission when you submit it.