What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to be reading Divergent lately. I recently finished it too!
I just finished Abandon, by Meg Cabot. I usually wouldn't phrase this so strongly - but it Wasn't Good. The premise could have been decent, but the story was literally all over the place. It jumped everywhere. I was taken aback, because her books are usually very dependable as a quick, decent read. This was just a mess.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Everneath. Absolutely stunning. Read it, everyone.

Onto Incarnate now. Not drawn in so far, but I know I'll like it.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I just finished Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine, it's a wonderfuly sweet book about two kids with real life struggles and love. I wrote a review and am running a contest on my blog for a free paperback copy :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 100 pages in to Libba Bray's BEAUTY QUEENS, and I'm loving it.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Forever, the third book in the Maggie Steifvater Shiver series. 35 pages in and so far i'm really enjoying it.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I actually liked Matched, so now I'm reading Crossed.

ha. i just bought Matched recently...FOR ITS COVER. seriously, it's like my favorite cover ever and the only book i've ever bought specifically for the cover. I haven't even read the book. yet. one day :D

Wendy Jenae

Autonomous & Nocturnal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading "Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick" by Joe Schreiber.

I am LOVING this book. It's a contemp (which I love) and a fast-paced thriller (which I haven't come across much of in YA). I had been dying to read this book since I read about it on a book blog earlier this year. It is living up to my expectations. :)

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
LOL...are you kidding? YES! You just have to get past the first 30 or so pages and then it hits the wall. :D

That must've been my problem, then. I *couldn't* get past the first 30-50 pages, and so gave up on it. :tongue

I haven't done a whole lot of reading, because school's been so busy, but I am in the middle of The Sorceress by...... I forget. The third book in the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series.

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I've finished Divergent. It was...an average read, I suppose. The story did improve but only marginally. I have to admit I am scratching my head as to why this book has garnered such rave reviews.

I found Roth's prose clunky and woefully unimaginative.

I didn't have a problem with the lack of world building (as some others have) as I believe Divergent isn't a 'world building' kind of story; it should have been a story of political intrigue but there was precious little of that.

I was able to go along with her premise easily enough - that a society somewhere has divided into 5 factions. What I found intensely frustrating was how she merely scratched the surface of some truly compelling issues based on human psychology and behaviour relating to the factions (as well as themes of violence and death) and instead spent about 300 pages telling us about Tris's training schedule.

Maybe it's just me, but I was bored by the various tests she was put through and the novel came across as shallow when it had so much more potential. I'd rather she'd cut out 90% of the training and properly developed the last 150 pages into the main story arc.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Just finished ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD and really enjoyed it. It was like a YA version of Supernatural meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I really liked the premise and Cas' voice and there were some fun twists, but overall I would have liked to see a bit more depth in plot and character development. Still looking forward to the next book. :D

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Uh, Tiny is one of the most insufferable YA characters I've come across in quite a while. Why Will ever stayed friends with him, I'll never know. And then ****SPOILER******everybody praises him at the end for being such a wonderful, likeable person? Really?******SPOILER END*****

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
About halfway through The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It was recommended to me like a year ago, and I'm just now getting around to it. (That's how deep my TBR pile is, yes.) Amazing so far. I can't wait to see how it wraps up.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Divergent, too. I liked it, but I also wanted to see more of the world. Not so much worldbuilding but descriptions, atmosphere. For example, at some point we go through the city at night and the only things that get mentioned are "a rusty Ferris wheel" and "gray buildings". I had to rely on my own imagination to paint the pictures. Though I'm not surprised to hear the book was sold to become a movie, the action sequences are begging to be filmed.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Finally started Marcus Sedgwick's Revolver, several years late. I love his writing. :)

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Incarnate. Another great read.

Onto Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Blood Ninja 2: Lord Oda's Revenge by Nick Lake, a review copy I was sent. I quite enjoyed it - and you don't have to have read Blood Ninja as there is a lot of filling-in towards the start of this sequel. On to a rather shorter YA for (hopefully) purely my own enjoyment, Kirsty Eagar's Raw Blue.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Reading My Beating Teenage Heart by CK Kelly Martin. Slow at first, but it's getting really interesting now. Plus some very HOT scenes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.