Getting a screenplay to a producer

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I am a screenwriter without an agent. I want to present a screenplay I wrote to a certain director/producer who has an agent at William Morris Endeavor. How do I go about doing this without an agent? May I send the director/producer's agent a query/pitch letter and ask him to pass my idea along to his client? Can I send a query/pitch to the director/producer's production company? Or am I better off finding an agent and letting them do all the dirty work? My immediate goal is to just make the director/producer aware of my idea. Could I gain the interest of the director/producer first, and if there is interest, THEN could I get an agent, possible the same agent the director/producer has?

Sorry if this is confusing...Thank you.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
This is the magic question you and 10,000 other screen guild writers keep asking.

Seriously though, I once wanted to contact a certain author I had lost touch with many years earlier. I did not have her address so I wrote to hear care of her publisher. They forwarded it to her. I suppose you could do the same thing with this producer, write to him/her care of the agency representing them, or their production company.

Still, I suspect the other 10,000 guild members also have the same idea...

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Have you queried William Morris? They do represent screenwriters, last I looked.

It can't hurt to do as thothguard51 suggested. As for sending to the production company itself, check their website for submissions first. Some will send back anything that is NOT from an agent unopened.

However if the director/producer is with WM, I suspect they get a lot of pitches lobbed at them already. Not sure where you are, but from what I know of LA, etc. best to go through people who know any given director/producer on a personal level. If you have any contacts in the industry you might be best off just asking them 'who they know'.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Most books / insiders will warn that producers won't even look at something sent unsolioited / not via an agent.

They're all rightfully afraid of lawsuits claiming something like "I sent X my script and six months later s/he did something exactly like mine!"

Even if it's groundless, it costs them $$$ to defend themselves.

Ha! Years past, I used to live in Venice, and I'd dumpster dive in alleys behind a few movie folks' offices. Cool fun stuff (whole folders of production stills dumped out, actors' headshots, a ton of scripts too -- many opened, others still sealed in envelopes etc that never made it even to the opening stage)

I'd say "Find an agent" ... There are a lot of them out there. Maybe just for the one project (if it's that marketable, and they're confident it's worth their time and effort) ? But everyone's hungry for a quality project. New guy with a hot product is better than an established hack peddling the same tired dreck, often.

But you always hear stories of how someone gets through the defenses and gets someone's attention. Get a script to a marketable Actor, let them show it to THEIR agent and express interest, and that'll carry over maybe? Just thinking aloud.

Last edited:

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses. I think I am going to try and get an agent first. I do have a friend who is an established writer who will hopefully introduce me to some folks in the biz who may be connected with the man I want to send my screenplay. I'll keep you updated.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Trying to get an agent can be like trying to get into the NBA. If you wait to get an agent, no one may ever read your script.

Making anyone in the business aware of your "idea" isn't what you want to do. You want them to read the screenplay.

If the director has a production company, your best bet is to contact him that way.

You might want to avoid the "unsolicited" issue by hiring an entertainment attorney to submit the script for you. Although you'll pay an attorney, it might be quicker to secure his services than an agent.

Furthermore, as I often suggest, new writers are better off getting a manager rather than an agent (when first starting out).

Good luck!

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to get an agent can be like trying to get into the NBA. If you wait to get an agent, no one may ever read your script.

Making anyone in the business aware of your "idea" isn't what you want to do. You want them to read the screenplay.

If the director has a production company, your best bet is to contact him that way.

You might want to avoid the "unsolicited" issue by hiring an entertainment attorney to submit the script for you. Although you'll pay an attorney, it might be quicker to secure his services than an agent.

Furthermore, as I often suggest, new writers are better off getting a manager rather than an agent (when first starting out).

Good luck!

Great advice. Thank you. I definitely want him to read the screenplay! After I did all that work, he'd better read it!

I may look into getting a manager or attorney. I'll see if any agencies reply to me first.

WMcQuaig

insert something original or whitty
Registered
Reaction score
I am a screenwriter without an agent. I want to present a screenplay I wrote to a certain director/producer who has an agent at William Morris Endeavor. How do I go about doing this without an agent? May I send the director/producer's agent a query/pitch letter and ask him to pass my idea along to his client? Can I send a query/pitch to the director/producer's production company? Or am I better off finding an agent and letting them do all the dirty work? My immediate goal is to just make the director/producer aware of my idea. Could I gain the interest of the director/producer first, and if there is interest, THEN could I get an agent, possible the same agent the director/producer has?

Sorry if this is confusing...Thank you.

First of all, I want to say that what I'm about to tell you is simply my experience and I can't guarantee you the results I received, so take it for what you will.

I've been writing for pretty much my entire life and I've only recently started to find any sort of success for ANY of my endeavors into the film industry.

I have found myself in the situation your in many times. Getting a project to an established producer/director is difficult. Granted, it's a whole heck of a lot easier it you've sold something already but I'm inferring from your post that you have not. I mean no disrespect, I'm simply pointing out that you have a long, hard road ahead of you.

Don't let this discourage you though. You are on the right track by going straight to producer's but getting them to take you seriously is the hard part. What you need to do is show them you know what you're talking about. Not just about screenwriting, about the industry. A few years back I received this same advice from an established screenwriter. he said "Don't bother going to an agent. Go to producer's because their the one who is likely to end up buying your work anyway." He also said "Call them. It takes less time to say no over the phone then it does by mail. In addition, you'll get your answer immediately."

With this in mind, myself and my business partner wanted to do something that would stand out without being overbearing. The first few places we called all asked the same thing. The first question was "May I ask who's calling?". The second question was "Do you have an agent?". This was typically followed with a quick hanging up of the phone.

So we regrouped and decided to try the query letter route. Many writers will send out hundreds if not thousands of letters with no reply. Instead of doing the standard letter though, we themed our query letters around our concept. Our concept was along the lines of a war story, so what we did was made our query letters look like they had been through hell and back just to get to them. We didn't even put a return address on them because simply put we DIDN'T want them back.

In addition to this, instead of doing the standard letter inside we did business cards. On one side was a web address, on the other was a handwritten unique login ID. That's how we kept track of who to get in touch with. When said producer went to the website and put in the ID number, it then took them through a short series of pages. The first was about the idea of the project, the second was why them, and the last page was simply asking if they wanted to be contacted about said project.
Like I said, many writers will send out hundreds of these letters with no reply. We sent out 10 before we got our first reply. And he said yes, he wanted to be contacted.

What this did was open up a line of communication without him even knowing who was gonna be getting in touch with him. In addition, it gave us a talking point when we finally did in touch with him. This is where phase two of the pitch began. Like I mentioned before, when calling people, getting past the receptionist can be difficult. Unless you anticipate the questions.

We figured out that if when they ask "May I ask who's calling?" you simply answer with your name. It leads to that second question. That's not what you want from the receptionist. What you want to hear is "Hold on, let me see if their available." Now simply saying "They should be expecting my call" isn't always gonna be enough. We found though that if you can answer this question with "I'm so and so from such and such company". They most likely won't even ask you the second question.

I called the producer who said we could get in touch with him, once a week on the same day every week just to make sure I wasn't being overbearing. By the third week, the receptionist knew my name and who I was trying to get in touch with. In fact, he was surprised he hadn't called me back yet. The funny part of this whole story is that we never actually got in touch with him. He got in touch with us. In fact he actually called me back at the most inopportune moment possible, I was in the drive thru at Wendy's when he finally called back.

We had a short conversation, (not rude, just short) in which I told him we were the ones who sent him the letter that directed him to the website. He remembered that so he asked what the project was about. I gave him the "cross" and told him it was a TV concept and he stopped me right there. He informed me they didn't do TV. Our research was wrong. He wished me luck with the project and I thanked him for his time. We never spoke again.

You said your immediate goal was to make said producer aware of your idea. What your immediate goal should be is making him aware of your existence. Producer's are a busy lot. They constantly have something they have to do. Be mindful of that.

As far as getting an agent goes, to this day neither me nor my business partner have an agent. This isn't to say that agents aren't helpful though. If you have a connection to an established writer who has an agent, try seeing if this connect will pass your script along to their agent. This is called "being grandfathered in". It's by no means a guarantee but it's at least something.

If it's one thing I have learned up to this point is that if your respectful of a producer's time, they will be respectful of yours. Unless the producer your dealing with is a complete A-hole, but those kind of producer's aren't around for long.

Also, to a certain extent, breaking into this industry is a numbers game. The hardest part is making sure the numbers aren't against you. Meaning that if there are already a thousand other scripts going around Hollywood that are in the same genre as yours, the chances of selling this script right now are slim. Not impossible, just slim.

I wish you the best of luck, because frankly, you're gonna need it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I want to say that what I'm about to tell you is simply my experience and I can't guarantee you the results I received, so take it for what you will.

I've been writing for pretty much my entire life and I've only recently started to find any sort of success for ANY of my endeavors into the film industry.

I have found myself in the situation your in many times. Getting a project to an established producer/director is difficult. Granted, it's a whole heck of a lot easier it you've sold something already but I'm inferring from your post that you have not. I mean no disrespect, I'm simply pointing out that you have a long, hard road ahead of you.

Don't let this discourage you though. You are on the right track by going straight to producer's but getting them to take you seriously is the hard part. What you need to do is show them you know what you're talking about. Not just about screenwriting, about the industry. A few years back I received this same advice from an established screenwriter. he said "Don't bother going to an agent. Go to producer's because their the one who is likely to end up buying your work anyway." He also said "Call them. It takes less time to say no over the phone then it does by mail. In addition, you'll get your answer immediately."

With this in mind, myself and my business partner wanted to do something that would stand out without being overbearing. The first few places we called all asked the same thing. The first question was "May I ask who's calling?". The second question was "Do you have an agent?". This was typically followed with a quick hanging up of the phone.

So we regrouped and decided to try the query letter route. Many writers will send out hundreds if not thousands of letters with no reply. Instead of doing the standard letter though, we themed our query letters around our concept. Our concept was along the lines of a war story, so what we did was made our query letters look like they had been through hell and back just to get to them. We didn't even put a return address on them because simply put we DIDN'T want them back.

In addition to this, instead of doing the standard letter inside we did business cards. On one side was a web address, on the other was a handwritten unique login ID. That's how we kept track of who to get in touch with. When said producer went to the website and put in the ID number, it then took them through a short series of pages. The first was about the idea of the project, the second was why them, and the last page was simply asking if they wanted to be contacted about said project.
Like I said, many writers will send out hundreds of these letters with no reply. We sent out 10 before we got our first reply. And he said yes, he wanted to be contacted.

What this did was open up a line of communication without him even knowing who was gonna be getting in touch with him. In addition, it gave us a talking point when we finally did in touch with him. This is where phase two of the pitch began. Like I mentioned before, when calling people, getting past the receptionist can be difficult. Unless you anticipate the questions.

We figured out that if when they ask "May I ask who's calling?" you simply answer with your name. It leads to that second question. That's not what you want from the receptionist. What you want to hear is "Hold on, let me see if their available." Now simply saying "They should be expecting my call" isn't always gonna be enough. We found though that if you can answer this question with "I'm so and so from such and such company". They most likely won't even ask you the second question.

I called the producer who said we could get in touch with him, once a week on the same day every week just to make sure I wasn't being overbearing. By the third week, the receptionist knew my name and who I was trying to get in touch with. In fact, he was surprised he hadn't called me back yet. The funny part of this whole story is that we never actually got in touch with him. He got in touch with us. In fact he actually called me back at the most inopportune moment possible, I was in the drive thru at Wendy's when he finally called back.

We had a short conversation, (not rude, just short) in which I told him we were the ones who sent him the letter that directed him to the website. He remembered that so he asked what the project was about. I gave him the "cross" and told him it was a TV concept and he stopped me right there. He informed me they didn't do TV. Our research was wrong. He wished me luck with the project and I thanked him for his time. We never spoke again.

You said your immediate goal was to make said producer aware of your idea. What your immediate goal should be is making him aware of your existence. Producer's are a busy lot. They constantly have something they have to do. Be mindful of that.

As far as getting an agent goes, to this day neither me nor my business partner have an agent. This isn't to say that agents aren't helpful though. If you have a connection to an established writer who has an agent, try seeing if this connect will pass your script along to their agent. This is called "being grandfathered in". It's by no means a guarantee but it's at least something.

If it's one thing I have learned up to this point is that if your respectful of a producer's time, they will be respectful of yours. Unless the producer your dealing with is a complete A-hole, but those kind of producer's aren't around for long.

Also, to a certain extent, breaking into this industry is a numbers game. The hardest part is making sure the numbers aren't against you. Meaning that if there are already a thousand other scripts going around Hollywood that are in the same genre as yours, the chances of selling this script right now are slim. Not impossible, just slim.

I wish you the best of luck, because frankly, you're gonna need it.

This may be the oddest thing I've read on AW, heh. It'd seem to me this would be the wrong way to go about this, for a variety of reasons, but whatever you find works for you.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Cornflake on that one.

First, WMcQuaig, your profile says you've been writing from the age of twelve and are a student. If you're anywhere near typical college age, to me that just doesn't add up to much weight as far as "I've been trying my whole life to...." Children's writing is not considered adult, professional level writing. If anyone includes that in their bio (and I've seen it plenty) I'd drop it, imo it looks unprofessional.

And, it sounds like what you got was really not an "in," but just dismissed like we'd dismiss any telephone solicitor once we realized who it was and what they were about. Kudos for trying, though.

Last edited:

Sharp teeth

Registered
Reaction score
I almost dread this. I've wrote 2 screenplays and haven't given a thought to them becoming anything. I won't send a script until I've gotten a grasp on this writing thing. Maybe in two or three years I'll be ready.

WMcQuaig

insert something original or whitty
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Cornflake on that one.

First, WMcQuaig, your profile says you've been writing from the age of twelve and are a student. If you're anywhere near typical college age, to me that just doesn't add up to much weight as far as "I've been trying my whole life to...." Children's writing is not considered adult, professional level writing. If anyone includes that in their bio (and I've seen it plenty) I'd drop it, imo it looks unprofessional.

And, it sounds like what you got was really not an "in," but just dismissed like we'd dismiss any telephone solicitor once we realized who it was and what they were about. Kudos for trying, though.

When I joined this site a while back, that was all relevant information. Profile has been updated. Sorry for the confusion.

The only thing I was trying to stress to the OP was that there is no easy "in". Which is what's she's gonna find out eventually anyways. That's all.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I was trying to stress to the OP was that there is no easy "in". Which is what's she's gonna find out eventually anyways. That's all.

Yup, that's for sure.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
When I joined this site a while back, that was all relevant information. Profile has been updated. Sorry for the confusion.

That, and once you do get your 'in', your pitch/concept better be something that really 'wows' them.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I've read it numerous times in books, heard it in interviews with insiders too: Where someone gets a chance to pitch, and they'll say something like "I really liked the script we've seen, you're very good ... But that specific thing's not right for us. What else have you got?"

Maybe X idea about a teen is too X for them (or too Y or Z) ... but they like how you've captured teen dialogue or something else. So that's an opening to do something else?

Meaning, go in with several ideas that you can offer them. It's a pitch, after all, they'll ask you / pay you to develop further anything that grabs them. You never know what THEY may be looking for.

Obviously your focus and interest is in your PRIMARY thing ... but have other ideas, one because it's another gig, and two to show you're not a one-trick pony.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously your focus and interest is in your PRIMARY thing ... but have other ideas, one because it's another gig, and two to show you're not a one-trick pony.

I'm also an actor/dancer. In my research, I have found that it helps to break into acting if you have a good screenplay.

I'm also submitting headshots/resumes to talent agencies to get representation. I don't know if I'll get a lit agent or a talent agent first, but either way, I am marketing myself as an actor/writer.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
I don't know if I'll get a lit agent or a talent agent first, but either way, I am marketing myself as an actor/writer.

You may not need a lit agent if your writing work is primarily screenplays. My lit agent handles my manuscripts and rights associated with those. When CAA inquired on the film and television rights to one of my series, I pointed them to her and forwarded their correspondence to her because 1.) I don't know anything about the biz. 2.) I don't have time to mess with it. And 3.) the percentage my agent gets for negotiating the deal is the same whether she does all the work or has to split it with a "Hollywood" agent.

I don't know how things work in L.A. but my point is a lit agent might not bring anything to the table unless they have experience with screenplays. :Shrug:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also an actor/dancer. In my research, I have found that it helps to break into acting if you have a good screenplay.

I'm also submitting headshots/resumes to talent agencies to get representation. I don't know if I'll get a lit agent or a talent agent first, but either way, I am marketing myself as an actor/writer.

I certainly didn't mean anything negative with my 'one trick pony' comment! It's cool you're multi-talented!

I just meant I'd heard the advantages of having several ideas to pitch, once someone's fortunate to have an opportunity to pitch! Not to be limited to a single project idea ... I'm probably stating the obvious there, if so I apologize. But I often hear stories of folks who are taking numerous projects to make their living WHILE working on their own favourite pet project too. The more skillz and connections the better!

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I certainly didn't mean anything negative with my 'one trick pony' comment! It's cool you're multi-talented!

I just meant I'd heard the advantages of having several ideas to pitch, once someone's fortunate to have an opportunity to pitch! Not to be limited to a single project idea ... I'm probably stating the obvious there, if so I apologize. But I often hear stories of folks who are taking numerous projects to make their living WHILE working on their own favourite pet project too. The more skillz and connections the better!

Don't worry! It's cool! I understand what you were saying. You're right, it is best to have several ideas to pitch.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Well I sent out my query letters today. While I am waiting to hear responses on those, I am going to research managers and entertainment attorneys. Should I not be able to land an agent, at least I'll have the info I need to go a different route and get someone else to rep me. If that doesn't work (and there's no reason why it shouldn't) I will have to figure something else out. There is always a way, you just have to find it.

Thank you for your responses!