The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

WaveHopper

Registered
Reaction score
I think I liked not knowing the numbers more >>

For the "Temporally out of Order" anthology? 7 out of 100 submissions seems better than the slush pile for the major markets! However, I guess its possible for them *not* to pick 7 if they don't have enough over a certain standard.
Good luck, Tamlyn. I've got a submission too.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
From the nice people who gave us The Grinder:

In 2015, Diabolical Plots will begin publishing fiction. We will be open for fictions for the first time for the month of December 2014. We’ll only take one submission per author. Make it count.

Genres: science fiction, fantasy, horror (everything must have speculative element, even horror)

Word count: 2000 words or less. This is a firm limit. If you submit a longer story, it will be rejected unread and that will be your only chance this submission window. Do not query to ask permission either–the answer will be no, and we’ll know you didn’t heed the guidelines.

Pay rate: 6 cents per word (the professional rate as deemed by SFWA)
More here.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Update on Diabolical Plots--I just submitted and got a tracking number of 1349, so assuming they're incrementing them in order, that's how many submissions they've got now.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
New anthology requesting fantasy stories about women warriors wearing (sensible) armor. Pro rates for stories up to 5000 words. Due date is in April. Link here.

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that! It looks promising/fun, must e-mail to myself to remember.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Fireside is opening to flash fiction in March:

We pay 12.5 cents per word, with payment on completion of edits. We buy first world publication rights and six-month exclusivity, as well as the right to reprint the story once, non-exclusively, in a Fireside anthology.

Please DO NOT resubmit stories that we have previously rejected, even if you have revised them. They will be rejected unread.

We do not accept simultaneous or multiple submissions. (We are not looking for poetry, nonfiction, reviews, or anything else but fiction.)

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Unidentified Funny Objects 4 guidelines are up here. Sub window is the month of April.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
For people who like to fiddle with submissions--Urban Fantasy Magazine lets you update/revise stories you submit to them while they're in the queue. The story is only 'locked in' once someone on staff looks at it. Just an FYI.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
For people who like to fiddle with submissions--Urban Fantasy Magazine lets you update/revise stories you submit to them while they're in the queue. The story is only 'locked in' once someone on staff looks at it. Just an FYI.

This sounds amazing, but I know it would be my doom. I would tinker every story to death, every day.

Peace
Ty

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
I heard about a new semi pro market on Twitter tonight, Robot C0wgirl. They are taking submissions for two themed issues right now, sword and sorcery and alien abductions. Pay seems a bit suspenseful: "We pay a minimum of US$50 for short-form fiction, although we endeavor to pay professional rates, when possible, as defined by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America."

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I heard about a new semi pro market on Twitter tonight, Robot C0wgirl. They are taking submissions for two themed issues right now, sword and sorcery and alien abductions. Pay seems a bit suspenseful: "We pay a minimum of US$50 for short-form fiction, although we endeavor to pay professional rates, when possible, as defined by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America."

The individual guidelines for the anthologies specify $50 paid on acceptance.

It's possible the contract includes further pay if the books sell a certain number of copies. (I'm only speculating, I have no reason to think that it does, aside from seeing that in other anthologies on occasion.) Perhaps they mean the goal is to be able to pay professional rates as their capital grows.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good places with ultra-short fiction (100 words or less)? My university is having a competition for stories of about that length, with some decent cash prizes, but I've never written anything less than 1000 words and want to read some examples so that I can get some idea of what a story of that length should look/feel like.

Last edited:

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good places with ultra-short fiction (100 words or less)? My university is having a competition for stories of about that length, with some decent cash prizes, but I've never written anything less than 1000 words and want to read some examples so that I can get some idea of what a story of that length should look/feel like.

SpeckLit publish stories of 100 words or less only, that have to include a beginning, middle and end/tell a story. Might be a good place to look into.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Couple notes:

* Long Hidden 2 pushed back their submissions deadline by 2 months, to June 30.
* Grey Matter Press is sending responses for their 'Monster' anthology and are aiming to send all responses out by 3/15.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Reminder: Fireside will be opening for flash fiction in a few days:
We’ll be accepting submissions of flash fiction (1,000 words or less) from March 15-April 11.
Buzzy Mag is temporarily closed to submissions:
At this time BuzzyMag is being placed on hold. The CEO, Joy Poger will be fighting a health issue. Once she reaches a place of health we will post a notice on our site for submissions once again.

Thank you for thinking of us as a spot to place your fiction.
Queers Destroy Horror and Fantasy are official.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Speculations KC is planning on taking open submissions?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Speculations KC is planning on taking open submissions?

I'm pretty certain they aren't and already have a TOC. Having said that, you can always query Bryan directly -- he won't mind a question and he's active on Twitter and Facebook.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The individual guidelines for the anthologies specify $50 paid on acceptance.

It's possible the contract includes further pay if the books sell a certain number of copies. (I'm only speculating, I have no reason to think that it does, aside from seeing that in other anthologies on occasion.) Perhaps they mean the goal is to be able to pay professional rates as their capital grows.

They're very new. I'm friends with one editor, who is a capable writer. If they take off I'll keep them in mind. But...they're new.

vintager

Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, I've always wanted to ask this, so here it goes...
What are the dance moves for withdrawing a story? Let's say I've subbed to a market, they're taking awfully long, and another market just opened a narrow submission window... I send an email with the word WITHDRAW, in big letters, and then what? Should I wait for a confirmation? Am I free to sub elsewhere straight away? What if the silent gentlemen of the other side decide they still want to look at my story, read it and accept it, all the while ignoring my last email?