Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

tatyeana

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind running into Nemo but what if I run into a hungry shark?
Space is so beautiful from down here--but I do believe in aliens. Decisions,decisions....

Ok I would say I'll take my risk with the known instead of the unknown and go for the OCEAN!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotD

Sticking with a childhood theme here...

Favorite "kids" movie, regardless of whether you watched it as a child or not?

Mine is a bit of a toss up, and I could break it down into categories, but for me it would have to be "The Iron Giant." Just something about it I really like, even though I was no longer a child when I first saw it.

:D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for ET. :)

There was one movie I saw when I was a kid that while technically not a kid's movie, really affected me. The circumstances that lead to me watching it were quite peculiar too, but I'm really glad I got to see it. It's called All Summer In A Day and it's based on a Ray Bradbury short story.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
My favorites as a kid were two movies that I watched every summer when we visited my Grandparents. One was Ewoks the Battle for Endor. The other was Alice in Wonderland, the one made in 1985 with all sorts of famous people in it. My heart was crushed when one year we went and I put the movie in, only to see that my Grandpa had used the tape to record a hockey game. :cry: I recently found the Alice in Wonderland at a second hand store. It was a great day.:hooray:

As an adult, my favorites are The Emperor's New Groove and Madagasgar 2.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't pick ONE! How about movies that inspired me to want to write exciting stories?

Indiana Jones
Star Wars
Harry Potter
NeverEnding Story
Labyrinth
Legend
Goonies

Just a few off the top of my head. I know they aren't all kids movies, but I watched most of them as a kid.

Last edited:

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Oh oh oh, I remembered another one too! The Dark Crystal. Man, did I ever love that movie.

vampgirl278

I DO believe in fairies and magic!
Registered
Reaction score
My favorites as a kid were DEFINITELY Neverending Story and The Lion King (teenaged is still technically kid, right?)

Currently my favorite kids movie is Despicable Me... the minions are just TOO cute and TOO funny :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I liked Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Three Lives of Thomasina. Oh, and Born Free.

A couple of my favorites now are Finding Nemo and Elf

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Snalz

My first pet, snails (or Snalz, as I reported to my grandmother) that I raised from eggs I picked up in a pond. They ate lettuce.

I have no idea what ever happened to them but I think of them from time to time. I wish I had given them all names, but I was too young to know that many names.

bet most of you poor souls had cats and dogs for your pets

(do I have to proofread and clean up my typo's on this forum?)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, you can bug Jed, too, BK. It's got his name on it and everything.

Pfffft....Jed's been slacking off too. (Shhhh...don't tell him I told you that) I'm just teasin'. We love our top sheep no matter how they fail and disappoint us. ;)

New question! Sweet.
:D

What's something from your childhood that seems to have all but disappeared, and which you miss?

Boardgames. Kids these days just don't play them anymore and it makes me sad since I used to love them. I visit toy stores from time to time and the board game aisle is always empty (unless it's around the holidays). I still play with adult friends sometimes, and those friends usually try to get their kids interested if they're young. But older kids, teenagers, and some folks in their 20s today? Forget it. Why play actual chess when they can play it online?

Sigh.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, oh, oh! I remembered another one!

The Black Cauldron. It's not considered one of Disney's best, but I remember how fascinated I was by it, and how scared I was by the ghostly skeletons coming out of the cauldron. I also remember the afternoon I saw it. It was great.

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com
The Neverending Story, because of the rockeater and his bike. :)

Oh oh oh, I remembered another one too! The Dark Crystal. Man, did I ever love that movie.

These are still two of my favorites. I may have to watch them again soon.:D

Atreyu, Atreyu!

RNJ

addicted to love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionsandlambssaga.wordpress.com
I don't remember kid movies when I was really a "kid". I grew up on a farm and we only had three channels to choose from. (Oh, God, I am getting old. Back in my day...) I did like The Neverending Story (late teenage years). Even though I watched it every day with my three year old, I like The Lion King. Also saw the play. Really good.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, oh, oh! I remembered another one!

The Black Cauldron. It's not considered one of Disney's best, but I remember how fascinated I was by it, and how scared I was by the ghostly skeletons coming out of the cauldron. I also remember the afternoon I saw it. It was great.

I forgot about those two! I loved them as well. I still remember the day I saw The Dark Crystal. My dad rented it on VHS and we watched it at my grandpa's house one afternoon. I was really glad it was the middle of the day because I was actually scared most of the time!

On the same subject, but digressing, I watched Dune as a kid and was totally messed up. I used to be afraid someone would put a plug in my heart so they could kill me whenever they wanted. That was so freaky! And my parents wonder why I'm a little messed up!

WildernessBound

Fresh From the Printer
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I loved the Dark Crystal because even though it was scary, it had my name in the title. Plus, I had the biggest crush on Tom Cruise in Legend. Now, I don't care much for his scientologist ways, but I still use that character as a base if I ever like a guy, to see how they compare and contrast.

*waves to everyone* This is my first post...
And I'll have you know, I do too play board games. Every week my friends and I play them for hours on end. Partially because I'm not a gamer and the rest are, so I enforce the code. :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Flicking through the channels tonight to see what is on tele, I noticed more than a few 'scary' movies, including Jaws and Poltergeist. So, perfect for a question.

New Question of the Day: What movie scared the daylights out of you?