The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Blondie, my idea of comfortable walking shoes and your idea of comfortable walking shoes are not the same thing.

I do often wonder about women who wear high heels all the time -- do their feet not hurt? Or have they gotten used to it so that it's their baseline state of existence and thus the pain isn't relevant? Can any of you heel-wearers answer that? I used to wear heels a bit more (nothing like Blondie) and I think my feet hurt. Now I am older and when I wear heels, they hurt the next day too.

Good morning, Purgatory!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cookie:

(Yes, there was no point to that smiley; it just felt right.)

I repped a bit as I went, was mostly lurking, and I'm proud to have written a (somewhat) coherent "Why I Write" blog post. Because, you know, I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I WRITE.

...And thank god for Saturdays.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I walked about an hour in three inch wedges yesterday (to go to the movies). Got a blister :tongue

But you know what REALLY comfortable high heels are? Character shoes :D For musical theatre. I got to wear them playing Penny in Hairspray for the finale- only practiced in them twice, had to run down the center of the theatre from the door to the stage, never came close to tripping.

... but they're not much good for day-to-day stuff. :tongue

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Still have a pair of Capezio dance heels from '94. Senior year show choir necessity. They don't have soles made for putting up with outdoor surfaces or I'd buy them as my dress shoes. Jazz shoes were also really comfortable.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Character shoes are teh awesome. They're the only heels I owned that were as comfortable as good, flat shoes with arch support. Blond, you could make multipe YouTube videos of me falling on my butt in those shoes, should I ever attempt to put them on. :D

KT, we'll have to agree to disagree on Supernatural. It's like a bad relationship for me at this point. I keep trying to love it, and it keeps sitting on the couch, scratching itself and drinking cheap beer. :e2bummed:

Utterly gorgeous day here. Taking kiddo to ref soccer in a few, then buying veggies for the garden. Tomorrow is planting day.

Monday will be ouch-my-muscles-HURT day. :rolleyes:

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I'll be leaving for NY on Tuesday. :)
I am very excited, and extremely nervous.
Hope everybody is doing well and wonderful things have been happening. :)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun, Brandy!!!

I do often wonder about women who wear high heels all the time -- do their feet not hurt? Or have they gotten used to it so that it's their baseline state of existence and thus the pain isn't relevant? Can any of you heel-wearers answer that? I used to wear heels a bit more (nothing like Blondie) and I think my feet hurt. Now I am older and when I wear heels, they hurt the next day too.

Good morning, Purgatory!

I wore heels for years and years. I'd get some bad cramping in my feet at night that interestingly enough went away after I stopped wearing heels. The most comfortable closed toe pair of heels I ever had were Easy Spirits. I was usually in three inch heels

But you know what REALLY comfortable high heels are? Character shoes :D For musical theatre.

I've gone through so many pairs of these because they really aren't made for street wear - which didn't stop me. A friend of mine used to have an extra sole put on hers so they'd last. As I got older, they were the best choice for me.

Now, my feet rarely are in shoes at all, since I'm home more often than not. When I went to NYC in my 30s, I wore heels and high heeled boots. They looked good, but weren't comfy for walking. When I went back a few years ago, I wore sensible, comfy shoes and my feet were still killing me by Day 3. :)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
Blondie, my idea of comfortable walking shoes and your idea of comfortable walking shoes are not the same thing.

I do often wonder about women who wear high heels all the time -- do their feet not hurt?

:roll:

yeah. i skipped mules that were WAY
more comfortable than what blondie chose
as walking shoes.

but then, i was laughing at someone on
her fb wall recommending fit flops (which
i just recently bought--super comfortable)
and i thought, no way in HELL blondie would
ever be caught DEAD in a pair of those.

hilarious!

kell, i have a five foot tall friend always
in heels and she said your feet get used to it.
i guess that makes sense.

my feet have not built up the defenses
and the blisters kill me. i opted for these
less cute wedges versus a cuter mule for comfort:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/born-avita-sandal/3325185?origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=943

mornin' puglets! pilates then FINALLY
some revising for me today. yay!

also, sorry lily pie.

i stopped watching a few seasons back.
i'm afraid i lost interest. it didn't seem fresh
to me anymore. and some episodes weren't
good.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's my age, my weight, or my feet, but I have one-count-'em-one pair of shoes which are not flat and also don't hurt. I own heels, but I wear them only when I'm not going to be walking much, like to the theatre, our parking lot across the street.

In fact, one of the few things about the movie "Salt" that I liked is how as soon as she needed to run, Salt abandoned her heels, which weren't even all that high. The rest of the movie, meh.

Maryn, back from miles and annoyed with leaders who don't teach kids etiquette of sharing the trail

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Morning.

I haven't worn heels in years. It's almost impossible to find dress shoes in my size, let alone comfortable ones. I've also seen way too many bunions and toe deformities to want to persist.

I'm sure I'd give Blond a heart attack if she saw my footwear. *tucks Crocs under the desk* *high-fives Cheeky for the Saucony-love*

Brandy, have an awesome time. Report in or back as you're able.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
blue you get a big thwap !
for being down on your age!!!
you are young at heart & fit &
gorgeous!

shall that be my next toast? =D
Yes, please! I can't help being super self-conscious about my age. I feel young and silly inside and don't want to be pre-judged as having certain views and perspectives more befitting my advanced years. :D
And then there's the horror of when he's 89 and you're (Gaah!) triple digits! :)
Gee, thanks, Rick. You really know how to make a girl feel better.
Blue, tell him he's your trophy husband. :D
Lil, I think I will!

Para, yay! That is fabulous!
I can't even begin to say how sad this makes me 800 year old tree falls to illegal loggers
Makes me very sad too. We are losing species and decimating the environment at an accelerated rate. And all because people are stupifyingly selfish and greedy.

Brandy, have a great time. I miss NYC. I used to go every couple of weeks when I had a boyfriend there and then quite often for business, but now it's been a couple of years and it feels like forever.

Blond and X-Cin, I love both those shoes. I would wear them, for sure. Did anyone see the M0dern Fam1ly the other week where Gloria wore her 10" heels to D1sneyland? Jay ended up buying her huge, fluffy yellow character slippers (Donald?) and she was in heaven clumping through the park like a clown. She didn't know you could actually be pain-free when you walk.

FB bothers me that they still follow you when you log out and that Zu3ker6erg is such a jerk. But what can you do when you want to stay in touch with friends and family across the world and share photos? I'm stuck.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((Blue))) You are gorgeous and shouldn't worry about age. (Which is what? 30?)

I walked the dog.

I fed both dogs.

I finished my publishers list on QT.

Um...yeah...

Maybe I will try this thing called writing. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's my age, my weight, or my feet, but I have one-count-'em-one pair of shoes which are not flat and also don't hurt. I own heels, but I wear them only when I'm not going to be walking much, like to the theatre, our parking lot across the street.

I only own one pair of shoes, total.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only own one pair of shoes, total.
You and Sean Penn.

Maryn, remembering when he was Leno's first guest and Madonna made him buy a second pair of shoes

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
blue you don't look your age at all!
and i'd like to think i don't look 40
(whatever that's meant to look like)
and neither does hound!

pave the way for me, chiquita! =D

maryn it is a combo of all those things.
if i weren't an Author i'd not bother either.
what's worse, my feet might be okay
with comfy wedges but my lower
back can't handle 2 days of stomping
in them any more. sad.

i was never a shoe girl tho.
imagine my horror that my sweet
pea goes around saying I LOVE shoes!
and we had an 'incident" just this week
over flip flop purchases.

shakes head.

my hair, it goes gray.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Count me in as another saucony lover. When I find a piece of clothing I like I will just buy it over and over again. I love that saucony sneakers come in different colors so I can have a brown pair and a black pair or a green pair or whatever. I used to feel obligated to look nice now and then but anymore I just don't care. I figure sporty casual is good enough, and if anyone has a problem with that they can bite me. I'll save dressing up for when my kids are older.

ETA: One thing I've never gotten is really short girls wearing absurdly high heels. I'm tall so maybe I'm missing something here, but if you put on shoes so tall you can barely walk in them and you STILL don't make it to my shoulder, what is the point?

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
jo yeah you're tall so you don't get it.
ha!

all my petite friends are chic and walk very well
in heels. unlike me. 4 inches added is 4 inches.

POCK CHOP. =)

cindy, revising now

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: One thing I've never gotten is really short girls wearing absurdly high heels. I'm tall so maybe I'm missing something here, but if you put on shoes so tall you can barely walk in them and you STILL don't make it to my shoulder, what is the point?

:roll:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
*wave*

Just wandering through. Was up late at a social event last night that I really didn't want to go to, and got a message this morning that one of the children at said event has come down with strep. Oh whee.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Someone is cleaning the kitchen and it's not me!

Never had a pair of dress heels over 2". Now, my feet have no padding left, so cheap heels kill my feet. I need pillows inside my shoes. At a size 5.5 shoe, a 4" heel is pretty much walking on your toes. I can do it without wobbling, but I never had an interest.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Afternoon all :) Gorgeous day here :)

SN - I used to be a big fan, but I stopped watching I think at the end of Cas's first season. I love him, but the show lost me.

Heels - I wear sneakers 90% of the time, but I do love heels on special occasions. Although about 3 1/2 is about the highest I can manage. I have some awesome 3" sandals that I walked all over NYC in last year, no blisters. Well-made shoes are one thing I'll splurge on a bit though, and I think that made a difference.

eta: Forgot to say Blue, you are gorgeous at *anyone's* age, including yours. :)

Last edited:

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Heh. I started a shoe conversation. SHOCKING!!!!

Heels for me aren't just about being taller. (Trust me, the first thing JL wants me to do when we get home is take the heels off - he likes me short). While that's a nice bonus, the biggest incentive for me personally is that I look better in heels. My legs look longer and leaner, my posture is better, I walk with more authority and, TMI moment, my ass looks significantly better in a pair of 4" heels.

That said, there's an art to buying them. You have to know what your idea height differential is, meaning not the actually height of the heel, but the difference between heel height and platform height. For example, those new wedges are 4", but on a 1.25" platform, which means the height differential on your foot is less than 3". Personally, I can't do a differential more than 3.25" or I can't walk comfortably.

My shoes are also all rated by how long I can comfortably wear them. 3-4 hours are party shoes only. Work shoes have to last at least 8-10 hours before I want to kick them off. BEA shoes? 12+ baby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.