Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

MadSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
meganayscue.blogspot.com
As for the question of the week, I had a Japanese man compliment me on my dress in front of his wife in the middle of the Japanese boonies, and then proceed to invite me home while his wife dragged him away. I was too stunned to react then, but I look back and laugh on it now.

lovemore

Registered
Reaction score
Out of the blue, a guy once said to me, "You're a really nice person." It was such a simple statement but said with such sincerity that it meant a lot to me. A couple years later...I married that guy. :)

rieconley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
missiontowrite.blogspot.com
Perhaps it was when I got a fortune cookie and it said that my charm is undeniable and my husband said, "That's the truest of all fortune cookies."

He isn't usually the romantic or even complimentary.

ShashaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I gave my right lung, an eyeball and six buttons to the community, and they made me a mod. Go figure...

For the record, I only have 3,440 posts, and there are people on the boards with many, many times more posts than that. As for duration of membership, I feel like I've been here forever, but I only joined in 2009 - you'll see people who have been here much longer. If that's of any help.

interesting.

Mel-o-rama

Sci-fi and Humor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meloramawrites.blogspot.com
Compliment:

Once, this girl walked into the room and said, "Smells like someone's cooking something good."

I didn't have the heart or the wits to tell her I had just farted.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

With summer winding down for some (and ostensibly on the horizon for others)...

What did you want to do this summer that you just ran out of time for?

Mine was picking fresh strawberries, which I learned at the end of July is something usually done here in June.

Oh well, next year

:e2apple:

Incidentally, I've been here forever, and no one's offered me modship. ... Proving, I suppose, that they do actually know what they are doing around here.

Rachael7

Registered
Reaction score
The weather in Vancouver has been unusually cool this summer, so my husband and I haven't had the inclination to take out the good old canoe yet. Fingers crossed we'll get to the lake eventually.

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
We (my son and I) were hoping to get to Flagstaff for a few days. Alas, it never happened. Maybe this fall.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
With summer winding down for some (and ostensibly on the horizon for others)...

Mine was picking fresh strawberries, which I learned at the end of July is something usually done here in June.

Oh well, next year

:e2apple:

Incidentally, I've been here forever, and no one's offered me modship. ... Proving, I suppose, that they do actually know what they are doing around here.

imagine that...:D

Summer is still going on strong here, but with triple digit heat everyday, no one is getting out to do anything.

I plan on taking grandtots to the zoo before it's over. When it cools down, that is.

SisterWriters

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately the weather lately has been to hot to even enjoy being outside.

urbanmum

Village Vagabond
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to get one of those citypass vouchers and do the tourist in our own town thing with my son but it won't be happening this year. We just got back from a week at the beach though so I can't really complain. Actually, yes I can, because I just want to go back :cool:

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com

Well, I'm in Australia, enjoying the end of winter. So I will answer this in the following ways:

Last summer, I barely ever went to the beach even though I intended to. Actually, I don't think I did at all. I was too obsessed with my book to think about much else. So my aim for the coming summer is to go at least once!

I had intentions this winter to do various cosy things I like. Not snow-related, I hate snow and here in australia you have to go visit it and pay money. I do like the mountains in Melbourne in winter though and I haven't even gone once yet. These mountains don't get snow, maybe a tiny bit once every few years that melts within a few hours? They're just misty and have beautiful trees and frosty air. I still have time!

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Plant a garden. I love fresh veggies and watching the plants grow. I just never got around to it this year. I only managed to maintain one green/red pepper plant in a pot that I had left over from last year.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

I'm unabashedly stealing this one from NPR.

:D

Favorite sound of Summer?

Mine is just the drone of the crickets and such. It's not a day/evening thing (it's mid-afternoon here and if I listen I can hear them) so much as it is just a constant background. And while they start in the Spring, and go until Fall, it's only in Summer where my windows are constantly open enough to really hear them.

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
This is probably strange, but I really like the sound of the tornado siren in my town. It's eerie and with the strange light of tornado weather it always feels like the zombie apocalypse is nigh.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Not a summer sound per se, but I guess I only hear it in the summer... I love the sounds of the ocean.

Actually, end of the day at the beach I used to go to with my parents for summer vacation, when the tide is low, the softly lapping waves and the last beach-goer sounds, that is just perfection. :)

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whichever would be the quietest place to finish my book

-Cue children and dogs screaming in background

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
My favourite summer sound: The sound of tennis blaring from every nearby TV. Out of the houses you walk past during the day or at night, at least some will have that lovely pop-pong-applause filtering out onto the street. ( In summer in Australia, we have the Australian Open. I will go this coming summer, too.)

urbanmum

Village Vagabond
Registered
Reaction score
Summer sound: The first Saturday morning I awaken to the hum of a nearby lawnmower whilst sunlight (actual sunlight! in the morning!) filters through the blinds.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Summer sound? I'm with SaraP, sort of. I live on Lake Huron and the sound of the lake is mesmerizing. It has many different sounds and patterns of sound that I enjoy. The constant roar of active waves, the gentle wush-wush of a calm day, the crashing of huge waves on the break wall in town. We might have to move within the next couple of years, and my heart is dreading being torn from that lake.