CreateSpace and Lightning Source questions

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'd like to make the next project I publish available in e-book and paperback.

Does anyone know whether I can use a cover I designed with a CreateSpace template to print through Lightning Source as well? I'd like to do my own cover with Gimp, but could really use a template to get the dimensions right for printing. Or is there a way to get Amazon to carry a book that's printed through Lightning Source?

What's the best way to make a POD paperback available through as many online retailers as possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

bowiefan1970

Registered
Reaction score
You can request a cover template from Lightning Source and you should be able to apply your gimp file to it easily. If you use Lightning Source as your printer, your books will automatically be available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and numerous other sites. You can publish your ebook easily for Kindle and Nook with no middleman.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to do my own cover with Gimp, but could really use a template to get the dimensions right for printing.

I downloaded Gimp and trying to figure it out is like trying to translate a book written entirely in Chinese!

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You've got to get on youtube, lvcabbie! I'd never heard of Gimp until a few weeks ago, and I am not technically inclined, but I found that there were numerous tutorials online for everything I looked up. I did the cover for Linked myself with Gimp, and I'm confident that I can find tutorials for whatever I decide to do with my upcoming series' covers.

For example, I got so frustrated trying to figure out how to put the stock photo of the chain, which was on a white background, on a different background. Then I found tutorials, but several ended up not working for my image. One, because it was based on telling Gimp to eliminate the background color, and the background color was present in the chain, and another because it was based on outlining an object, and did nothing to address the background showing through the link openings. Finally I found a tutorial that used the eraser tool, and my problem was solved.

So it can be time consuming, but graphic design is something I've always wanted to learn how to do, since I do have an art background.

I'm on a budget, too, and it felt great to make my cover for the price of a $15 stock photo, and to feel like I'm learning useful new skills. Even the methods that didn't work for this cover taught me things about what Gimp can do and how to do it.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You can request a cover template from Lightning Source and you should be able to apply your gimp file to it easily. If you use Lightning Source as your printer, your books will automatically be available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and numerous other sites. You can publish your ebook easily for Kindle and Nook with no middleman.

Thanks! I'll head to Lightning Source and have a look. I've heard the advantage to Lightning Source is that if, by chance some one wants to order the book, it will be available through them.

Does anyone know of other advantages to Lightning Source or CreateSpace?