How Do I Get Started?

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of getting into freelancing.

I want to do something where I write.

However, I do have a small problem. I have no experience, and all my writing has either been (long) fiction or academic.

I do have a blog, but it's turned into rants. I've been thinking about restarting one and making it more professional, and am slowly working on that. But otherwise, I need some tips and advice.

denenewrites

Registered
Reaction score
joyec,

Do you have any idea of what type of writing you're interested in -- magazines, copywriting, web writing, etc.? If you provide more details of your goals/interests, that will help in offering you some tips on getting started.

Also, I have an entire site devoted to how to get started, which may be helpful to you (link in my signature). Also, there are some great books on freelancing such as The Renegade Writer, Six-Figure Freelancing, and books by Bob Bly (for copywriting). All are great resources for beginners.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Probably trade magazines (I guess e-zines included) and copywriting.

I'll look into the books and links though, but otherwise I have no idea what to do.

bossbuild

Registered
Reaction score
Hi joey,

This might sound silly at first but why don't you try writing some practice articles about things your interested in to get yourself a little experience. I find when I right it's best not to focus on the way your wording things and simply write (or type) exactly as you would speak aloud. Just let the words flow out and before you know it you will have something half decent!

Anyway, good luck to ya Joey!

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're considering copywriting, I highly recommend The Well-Fed Writer by Peter Bowerman.

And yes, assuming you're willing to learn fast and your writing's up to snuff, it's possible to jump in without clips or industry experience. We were all there at one point.