Advice wanted: ghostwriting a celebrity autobiography

benjy421

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in talks with a well-known musician to help "co-write" his autobiography. I currently write for some of the top music magazines and have a tiny little name for myself, but obviously nothing compared to the musician in question.

His agent contacted me to ask if I would be interested in co-writing his autobiography, which he already has a publishing deal for. During that talk, he asked if I have an agent. I don't. He then asked what I would be looking for, in terms of financials. I don't have any idea where to start with that. (I told him I'd need to research and get back to him).

Being that he's an agent, would it be completely out of line or a conflict of interest if I asked him if he'd want to be my agent in the deal, as well? Do I even need an agent? (He didn't indicate that I did.)

More to the point: Anybody have any idea what kind of fee I should go after for this? The deadline is two years from now. It'll probably be between 300 and 400 pages. Definitely a very, very well known rock musician.

Any help of guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I should think you'd want to get your own agent. They'll be able to advise you on this and there won't be any worry at all of conflicts. You're in a pretty good position to email a few of the agents of your choice and see which one you'd like to work with.

Deleted member 42

Get your own agent.

Once you have an offer or a contract (don't sign!) it's pretty easy to get an agent.

benjy421

Registered
Reaction score
The celebrity's agent called and said I should expect a call from the editor next, which means I'm advancing in this process and it looks like it might really happen. I wonder if it's too late to bring in my own agent, especially after telling the celebrity's agent that I didn't have one.

Regardless, I'm really curious if anybody here has any ballpark figures of what to expect or ask for in terms of fee? Obviously I won't discuss numbers with them until I have my research complete or have an agent or representation. But in the meantime, yeah, I would like to know what kind of ballpark we're looking at here. Again, this would be "mostly" a full-time gig until it was complete. 300 to 400 pages. Co-writing / ghostwriting an autobiography.

I'm guessing a lot of it is just going to be interviewing and transcribing. Then shaping.

Thanks so much!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get an agent. Or a really, really good literary attorney.

And if you talk to the agent again, or the editor, instead of saying you do not have an agent, say you do not have one yet. If they are legitimate and professional, they will not balk if you get your own agent to negotiate the deal.

~suki

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I would get an agent to help sort what your rights are, who picks up expenses, how interviews go, credits, and how payments are scheduled...

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
It's fairly common for ghosts to get 7-8% of the advance the person who didn't write it but whose name goes on it gets, as a single fee, no royalties.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's fairly common for ghosts to get 7-8% of the advance the person who didn't write it but whose name goes on it gets, as a single fee, no royalties.

That's not standard in my experience. I've been paid 50% of the advance, I've been paid royalties; so much depends on the deal.

I repeat the advice to get an agent.

benjy421

Registered
Reaction score
A friend with admittedly marginal experience just gave me the advice to NOT go with an agent since, according to his reasoning, if this happens it won't be because of anything on their end and they will just cut into my take on the deal.

Is that misguided thinking?

Also: Would you recommend against asking the celebrity's agent to also represent me on the same project? That would make things easy... so long as it doesn't compromise the finer points of any potential contract for me.

Thanks so much -- truly appreciated.

kimberlyFDR

Working On The Publishing Dream
Registered
Reaction score
A friend with admittedly marginal experience just gave me the advice to NOT go with an agent since, according to his reasoning, if this happens it won't be because of anything on their end and they will just cut into my take on the deal.

They would be negotiating the contract, making sure you are getting the best deal possible and that you are protected as you enter into this agreement, so I wouldn't say they aren't doing anything. Better to give them 15% of the best deal you can negotiate rather than winging it on your own and ending up working for little to no money.

Also: Would you recommend against asking the celebrity's agent to also represent me on the same project?

I think it's been stated multiple times that you should get your own agent because, yes, having the same agent represent both sides is a conflict of interest. You have a potential deal with which to approach agents, so it wouldn't be hard to write up the queries and send them out. Get an agent, your own agent, and don't sign any contracts until you do.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, that's bad advice from your friend. Your agent will be worth the cut, and you need your own. The percentage to the agent will be the same regardless and there won't be any concern of conflict.

If the musician's agent is pressing you to take his/her advice or services, consider it a red flag. Go ring up (or better email) a top agent and let them tell you what they'll do for you.

You need to have your own representation. It's not you being difficult or paranoid, it's you being a professional.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'd check publishers marketplace to see what some of the agents who have sold musician (or any celebrity) biography's. 90% of those are ghost written. I'd tell them about the deal in hand, and ask them to take you on. (1) you'd have someone in your corner to make sure you get a fair deal (2) you'd have an agent now who might be able to bring you more work.

I would not delay any further. Contact agents and get someone in your corner.

benjy421

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's been extremely helpful.

I now have a few agents to choose from, including one at Trident, which seems to have a great rep.

benjy421

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a good online resource for finding the right agent? The agent from Trident was enthusiastic but I'm not sure if it'd be a good long-term match as, after this project, I have fiction that might not be the kind of fiction the agent is used to working with. They're more YA and what-not.

Thanks again -- this forum rocks. Wish I had discovered it years ago...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
A quick scan of the top memoir-selling agents:

Dan Stone (Trident)
David Vigliano (Vigliano Associates) - seems to have a lot of musicians
Robert Barnett (Williams & Connolly)
Claire Gerus (Claire Gerus Literary Agency)
Frank Weimann (The Literary Group)
Sharlene Martin (Martin Literary Management)
David Kuhn (Kuhn Projects)
Wendy Sherman (Wendy Sherman Associates)

Also, you can go to the bookstore and look at celebrity memoirs. In the acknowledgments they'll often list their agents. That second guy on the list particularly seems to have an in with music memoirs.

Hope this helps.

benjy421

Registered
Reaction score
I'm now been presented with the dilemma of having just a day or two to choose an agent. Talking to someone who may not be a good fit for me down the line after this project BUT is at Trident.

Also talking to someone at Harvey Clinger.

And then someone recommended by Brant Rumble -- Chase Farley.

Any suggestions or feedback as to these agents / agencies? I know Trident is extremely reputable but should I go for the reputation of the agency or the match between me and the agent?