• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Rachel Coyne (nee Vater)

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
Yes, it's the same address. I'm suspecting that someone acquired the name though. I can't say for certain, but Rachel is my ex-agent, and I've read enough of her letters that I can say with very strong belief that this is someone who's being dishonest.

Look, too, at the first blog post: "I am back for blogging, ill be posting content regularly from now. Check back for my updates" It has a comma splice, errors in capitalization, absent apostrophe, and absent period. That isn't something I think she'd do.

Look now at the re-posts of her earlier entries. She uses colons, introductory phrases with correct commas , appositives, and the like. She wouldn't resume her blog w an entry punctuated like the first entry--even if it was merely going to be a series of re-posted entries from before . . . which they obviously are bc she references asking "Nancy" questions, and she hasn't been at an agency with Nancy for almost 2 years.

Personally, I suspect the blog is being used to air the grievances that show up in the replies to the entries.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first time someone has impersonated an agent online. Hopefully she'll become aware of it and let people know one way or another.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
It's odd, though. On her page on the folio site when you click the link to her blog it takes you to the new one. If someone's impersonating her, how could they link from the Folio site?

Doesn't make sense.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
It's odd, though. On her page on the folio site when you click the link to her blog it takes you to the new one. If someone's impersonating her, how could they link from the Folio site?

Doesn't make sense.

• My website links to www.abc.com because ABC makes sprockets and I love sprockets.
  • A year later, ABC lets their domain registration lapse and someone buys up the domain.
  • The new domain owner puts up their own site on www.abc.com but, instead of selling sprockets, they make pedometers.
  • I haven't checked the links on my site for awhile and I don't know that the domain is now owned by another company.
  • Someone visits my site and clicks the link looking for sprockets. They are surprised.
Not saying this is the case, but it's a fairly common occurrence on the internet. You mentioned that she reps you. Might be worth mentioning the next time you're in touch with her--just in case it's not her using the username.

Last edited:

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
What a horrible thing to do. I used to enjoy the real Rachel Vater blog.

If this is the work of a disgruntled writer, they've totally messed up their career.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Melissa_Marr's post, and my "conspiracy theory" hackles raised immediately. Then I clicked over. Apologies for the doubts, Melissa. You actually toned down the red flags. No way the same writer wrote the first post and the rest. Not without going back and fixing it after sobering up, at least.

Whatever this is, it's weird. And unsettling, in my opinion. That is one elaborate and time intensive complaint letter. And that is one perseverative commenter. It all gives me the heebie-jeebies, quite frankly.

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
And they spelled "writting" wrong in one of their tags :tongue

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of Rachel's current clients, like Toni, and we talk pretty regularly, so I think I'd know if she was back to blogging. And she's not. This isn't her.

So congrats on torpedoing your potential career, Anon. Blogger. Good jorb there.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed Ms Vater to warn her (actually, I emailed another agent at her agency, as I didn't have her address) but haven't heard back. It's horrible, and potentially criminal, for someone else to impersonate her in this way.

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
I had sent a note to her agency (Folio) abt it the same night I posted my suspicions on here, & they are following up on it.

Lamp Here

Registered
Reaction score
When i clicked on "user info" I saw this:

Name: newcoolwriter
Birthdate: 04-12
Bio
I am a nice guy

edit: that was already mentioned. Yeah. I'm silly.

Last edited:

AntheaL

Mostly Cheerful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthealawson.com
Name change and Agency move for Rachel Vater

This thread has been inactive for a while, so this might not be the right place to post this info, but Rachel Vater is now going by Rachel Coyne. She is at Fine Print Literary as of March 2011.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Well, crap. There go all my Darth Vater jokes.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in that the name change is b/c Rachel got married. :) And yes, has moved to FinePrint.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if there was an answer to the disappearance mystery after all.

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
On agentquery, it says submission guidelines, "QUERIES ONLY!"

So I assume it's not safe to send 5 sample pages along with it too?

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I queried her in September and never had a response. Shame.