I roughly figured it out,

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
how to get a story past 9K with a particular type of outlining. One magazine I found serializes novelettes up to 9K.

Would it make it impossible to sell as a short story to a middle grade magazine if all your novelettes turn out around 10K?

I wasn't sure if this was more of a middle grade question, or a questions for the short fiction section.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Oh no I know the magazine I'm looking for, I'm wondering specifically if they will serialize 10,000 words. The guidelines at Cricket for example, specify up to around 9,000 words.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Usually they won't look at stuff that falls outside the guidelines unless they know you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Guidelines usually mean what they say. If you serialize a story, you have to say no to other writers, which means readers get less variety. This means very, very few magazines will serialize a story. When the rare one does, it's usually from big name writers only.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Yeah- what everyone else said... Check it over and see if you can cut 500-1k words. I know I use a ton of useless extraneous words that can (and are) cut out.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I think I probably could, though I'd need to figure out a way to make the ending less ... choppy? Abrupt? I'm not sure what you'd call it.:/