• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Balanced Rock Press / Enbrightened eBooks

BrynneChristie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this small press?? Not a lot out there and not sure what to think. Thanks for any/all help!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This one? http://www.balancedrockpress.com/ Looks to be an e/POD house founded as a self-publishing concern. Terminology includes "hybrid" and "team effort" which should make one wary of being expected to share the costs and/or work as an unpaid salesperson.

Last edited:

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
This press is near where I live, and has an ad up on Craigslist looking for 3-month interns with the possibility of getting an actual job after the 3 months.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/wri/1986654485.html

The ad, for anyone curious of what it says. I really wish I could inquire more into it given my job situation at the moment, but I'm not sure how legit it looks.

ldenktash

Registered
Reaction score
Clarifications regarding Balanced Rock Press

As the publisher of Balanced Rock Press, I would like to answer the questions on this thread. We are not a POD publisher and we are not asking for monies from authors who we publish. We do offer coaching, ghost writing and online development services for which we do charge. As far as the usage of the term "hybrid"...we use this term to describe our mix of publisihing, marketing services, and author development which is unlike many large traditional publishers.We are interested in lesser known authors in our selected genres. As for the usage of the term "team effort"...we use this to describe our committment to our authors and retaining their vision for their work, and working with the author in developing their platform. I did have an ad on Craigslist requesting an intern for which I recieved many excellent candidates, and I am happy to say that some of them are offering their services to me, and some are now being compensated for their efforts. I would like to suggest that if you have questions regarding a firm, that you go to the source and inquire. It is the best way to get accurate information rather than speculating and interpreitng which can lead to misrepresentation.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Hi Laura. I took the time to review your website - I have a bit of time on my hands right now since I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery. The first thing I noticed on your About Us page is that you call your authors "clients." I found that curious, since that word suggests more of a customer relationship than an author/editor relationship. In truth, I've never heard a publisher call her authors "clients."

Out of the seven titles you've pubbed, only two are not written by you. This suggests more of a self-pub enterprise than a commercial press that enjoys a wide list by many authors. Additionally, I couldn't find any of your titles in Amazon. Nor could I find any store placement of any of your books, so I wonder whether you have any distribution.

Your Books page has no online store or links on how to purchase your books. No pricing, no ISBN, nothing. You include links for your two other authors' websites where people can go to buy the books. As for your own books, I don't see any way to buy them.

Taken from your About Us page:
She believes she is part of the “new” publishing hybrid of small independent publishers who actually help new authors clarify their voice, get published, and market their books successfully.
I don't see anything "hybrid" about this. Small commercial presses invest huge amounts of money to produce each and every title, so it would be suicidal if they didn't market and promote their books.

I'm uncertain what you mean by helping "new authors clarify their voice." Are you talking about editing? Again, every commercial press has to have quality editing. Can you possibly expand on this "hybrid" idea, since the points you bring up are far from "hybrid," but in reality, are a part of every successful commercial press.

As far as the usage of the term "hybrid"...we use this term to describe our mix of publisihing, marketing services, and author development which is unlike many large traditional publishers.
I think it's important to expand on what you do differently than "traditional" presses, considering readers can actually find their books, yet I can't find a single one of yours anywhere.

We are interested in lesser known authors in our selected genres.
I think this is admirable because there are so many talented new writers. However, those new writers must feel assured you have the ability to expose their books to a wide readership. As I've already stated, I can't find anywhere where one can purchase one of your books.

Launching a debut author has a lot more challenges than pubbing an author with an established readership. I don't see anything on your site that assures authors that you have this capability. It's one thing to concentrate on new writers, such as Poison Pen Press who has a strong presence in the library community and makes a lot of money this way. How do you make your sales? If I can't even find you on Amazon, then I think authors would be wise to ask you some deeper questions as to what solid steps you take in order to garner sales.

I would like to suggest that if you have questions regarding a firm, that you go to the source and inquire. It is the best way to get accurate information rather than speculating and interpreitng which can lead to misrepresentation.
I did go to the source; your site, where I saw a lot to question. Please understand this is a Bewares Forum, where agents and publishers are thoroughly discussed in order to help writers make balanced and informed choices when querying.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Your Books page has no online store or links on how to purchase your books.

It took a bit of research but if you go to her personal website and then click on her Rose Diva website you'll find ordering information for her first book.

I was unable to find any ordering information for her second book that was pubbed in 2010.

The rest of the books on BRP's website appear to be in production with anticipated release dates later this year.

~brian~

Last edited:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
It took a bit of research but if you go to her personal website and then click on her Rose Diva website you'll find ordering information for her first book.

I was unable to find any ordering information for her second book that was pubbed in 2010.

The rest of the books on BRP's website appear to be in production with anticipated release dates later this year.

~brian~
That was my point, Brian. Those books that are published are very hard to find. If readers can't find a book on Amazon or in a bookstore, are they going to initiate an All Points Bulletin for the book, or will they simply give up? The books that are due to be released aren't up on Amazon either, so I can't help but wonder what this company is doing to market and promote their books.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last activity Feb '12. Not finding any books published. Personal sites also stagnant.