• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Concord Free Press

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Does anybody know anything about the Concord Free Press? I found a stack of their free books next to one of my my friendly neighborhood independent bookstores. They claim (via bookmarks inserted into the books) to be giving away novels for free, asking only that the recipient make some charitable donation to somebody, somehow.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see how it can work in any way as a business model.

On the other hand, the books are well put together and the authors involved seem pretty serious. The book I found was "Rut" by Scott Phillips, who seems to be a serious author. I didn't care for the subject matter -- bleak, dystopian post-disaster future -- but it seemed well-written and well-made. As a charity idea it's certainly original.

Has anybody had experience with these people?

Saul Tanpepper

writer of spec fic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tanpepperwrites.com
Interesting. Just quickly perused their website. They may be trying to create buzz for their product, but it's not a model that will be sustaining in the long term. They still have to pay the bills, which means publishing and distributing books and paying authors and staff. Of course, giving the state of the economy and the natural disasters, people do feel a stronger obligation to be charitable. Unfortunately for many, it's just not that feasible to do much. They don't ask for a certain minimum for one of the freebies, so there's that.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to survive on sales of ebooks and merchandise. Also, a couple of its books have been picked up by larger publishers.