All Things WWII

CowgirlPoet

Registered
Reaction score
that's the one!!

Neither of the pilots in my novel end up in flames. Fiance killed when shot-down German bomber ploughs through his plane over the north sea.

McIndoe was a remarkable surgeon. Not only did he save lives, he saved a lot of pilots' self-worth and self esteem too.

Absolutely. He's just amazing--a personal hero, really. When you really think about how terribly those men were burned, and their monster-like appearance...and then the way he managed to keep them positive, to work out the difficulties with their families, with new jobs, even to get many of them back into the RAF--it's amazing!

(haha, bet you can tell I'm a bit nuts over this)

CowgirlPoet

Registered
Reaction score
Don't like to think about it!

Father in law was too old to fight (WWI his war) but was part of St Paul's Cathedral Fire protection squad. His tales were hair raising.

Have you not see Dad's Army - BBC TV series -in the US? Although very funny it gives a good idea of what most people outside the heavily bombed areas experienced at times.

Most people can remember the funny things and rarely speak of the terrifying.
The whistle of the doodle bugs, the Anderson shelters, the belief that it might be you next. Watching the barrage balloons. The dreadful struggle to feed the family with the rations available.

There are a couple of good book sources in Resources by Era, memories of people.

Oh wow! The St. Pauls' fire is a large part of my book! Did your father-in-law ever relate specific things?

No, I haven't watched "Dad's Army", but thanks for the heads-up--I'll check it out!

Has anyone watched the series "Foyle's War"? I don't usually recommend fiction for research, but for British Home Front, that series is the best ever. I don't think there are any historical inaccuracies in it at all.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah but...

The St. Pauls' fire is a large part of my book! Did your father-in-law ever relate specific things?

it was not the sort of thing people wanted to remember and he did not like to talk about it much.

His stories about WWI were hilarious because not life threatening or relentlessly night after night as he was in a special signal corps unit away from the front. He could talk endlessly about that, but never about WWII.

St Paul's was terrible. He had to watch his city bombed and burning and not be allowed to fight as he was too old and unfit! He was awarded a couple of special medals, chucked an incendiary bomb off the roof! They spent a lot of time on the roof.

CowgirlPoet

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing.

So he served in WW1 as well as the second war?

Has anyone seen the movie "Battle of Britain"? Although it has some major innacuracies in relation to costume and setting, it's fantastic for footage of dogfights. I got a much better sense of what I was writing about after seeing it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Battle of Britain sometimes turns up on UK TV as does 'Reach for the Sky' which would be worth a look. It is the story of Douglas Bader, a prominent RAF fighter pilot who resumed flying despite using artificial legs.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049665/

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
My parents were both slave laborers in Nazi Germany. My mother was taken from her village in Ukraine when she was just 16 years old! When we kids would get picky about our suppers, we we would hear some pretty awful stories that certainly would make us grateful for the borsht in the bowl.

Both my mom and dad received monthly "pensions" from the German Government as reparations. My dad has passed away, but every month when I help my 87 year old mom with her bills and banking, she says "Goddamn Nazis!" then endorses the check from Germany.

My in-laws wartime experience and stories are so completely different my parents. Dad B was a cartographer in Patton's army. He was at Hitler's Eagle's Nest and at the liberation of a concentration camp to name but two experiences. He passed away some time ago, but before he died we spent several days with a video camera running, and with maps, documenting an oral recitation of his wartime experiences.

My mother-in-law passed away not long ago, and we have become the caretakers of the carton containing their wartime correspondence. Hundreds of letters, filled with details fascinating and mundane, little drawings and cartoons... it is a fascinating archive. Once I finish these next two books I'm on contract for, I plan to delve in. I know there's a novel in there somewhere.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
Cowgirlpoet,

What do you mean by costume and setting errors in Battle of Britain?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
May I politely add...

that Dr. Archibald McIndoe was a good Kiwi, a New Zealand doctor who did the NZ thing and went walkabout (that's for you, cooee) on his great OE, and ended up in the UK after work in America.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Part of my Dad's family came to the states in the 1850's but the parents and two children (girl and boy) stayed in Germany. In the boy's family (who would be my cousins), the father at the time was there on Kristallnacht and ran out into the street yelling and asking who had done such an awful thing. He was accosted by Nazis and got away by telling them he'd seen the person who had yelled and that person had gone the other direction. Later he was captured by the Nazis and sentenced to death - but he managed to escape. His son was forced to join the German army. The son had no alternative - he joined or he put the entire family in danger (and with his father already incarcerated, that would have been extremely hazardous for the family). Puma

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
If I were to write a historical novel set in WWII it would be set in the Aleutian Islands. When Japan invaded America. I wrote a paper on it for my Pro-Seminar class. My grandfather was a rear tail gunner during WWII and was stationed in Alaska.

I also recently saw a program about the Real Bridge on the River Kwai and I would consider writing that story so that it's more true than the movie portrayed. It said the movie was so bad that people who survived that event don't watch it because it is so wrong.