How much time can you buy?

murmel

Registered
Reaction score
I know that may have been discussed before but I'm too shaken to do a research.

I have a request for a full and I don't feel it's ready. I mean it's finished but not all parts are as polished as they should be. I have wasted too much time in self-doubts than brushing off the "you'r not good enough"s thrown at me. Well, the damage is done and I'm asking:

How much time can I buy?

PS: It's a good agency and I am thrilled to no end. Ok doesn't mean much yet, but still.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I would send it within a month's time. I've heard down the pipeline that some agents don't remember stuff they request, so you can send it at any point. BUT. I've also heard that some agents are annoyed when people take forever to send something they've requested.

So if you're uncertain, polish like a mad fiend in the next week or two and still send it out ASAP.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think the answer is simple if you put yourself in the position of the agent, and assume, which I believe you should, that s/he would like to receive the material s/he requested. On the outside I think you can safely buy 2-3 weeks. If you need longer, my suggestion would be to contact the agent and tell her the truth, something like: "Thanks so much asking to see my entire manuscript "____ (title)_____________." If you need to see it asap I can certainly send it to you, however, if you can wait another ??? weeks, that would be great. I am in the middle of a final rewrite and would much prefer to send that to you. What's best for you?"