NFL off season

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Rules there were passed at the owners meeting:
Proposal No. 4, via Patriots (Heighten goal posts): Extends the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar, making it easier for officials to determine whether kicks are good.
Proposal No. 8, via competition committee (Roll-up protection): Would add a penalty for “rolling up” on the side of a defender. Currently, a blocker cannot go low at the back of the legs of a defender. This would further extend that to include the side.
Proposal No. 9, via competition committee (Referee consultation): Would allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department in New York during replay reviews.
Proposal No. 10, via competition committee (Replay fumble recoveries): Allows plays where the ball is in the field of play and there is a clear recovery to be reviewed and potentially overturned. Previously, when a ball was ruled dead, it was not reviewable.
Proposal No. 11, via competition committee (Clock stoppage): Eliminates the stoppage of the clock on a sack at any point of the game.
Proposal No. 13, via competition committee (Penalty enforcement): Makes all defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage enforced from the previous spot rather than the end of the run or the spot of the foul.
*Proposal No. 5, via Patriots (Longer extra points): Would move the line of scrimmage for extra points to the defensive team’s 25-yard line, making it a 43-yard attempt. This is to make the extra point more competitive.
*Modified and approved for the first two preseason games
Note, like it says, the extra point thing will just be for the first couple preseason games to experiment with it. More could come next off season.

The vote has been delayed until the next meeting in May for these rules:
Proposal No. 3, via Redskins (Preseason overtime): Would eliminate overtime periods in preseason games for player safety reasons.
Proposal No. 6, via Patriots (Boundary line cameras): Would put stationary cameras on all boundary lines – the sideline, end line and end zone – to supplement the TV cameras.
Proposal No. 12, via competition committee (Pass interference modification): Would allow for pass interference to be called even if the foul occurs within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage.
Note on Rule 12, pass interference by definition can only occur when the ball is out of the quarterback's hands. So, jamming a receiver is still fine. You just can't push him while he's trying to catch a screen pass or something of that nature.

It is a shame that challenging personal fouls was voted down though.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with all of those apart from 12.

They really should get rid of pre-season overtime. I really don't see the point of that.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I see Sanchez has gone to Philly. Is that going to work any better for him? I feel he got badly used at the Jets.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Philly definitely has a better set of receivers, a better offensive line, and a better play caller. He definitely has a better shot there than he did for the Jets.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah right.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me but I think he could be a really good QB if he's given the right support.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh my lor.....

The Bears new kicker, Drew Butler, is the son of the Bears kicker, Kevin Butler. Who was in the Super Bowl winning Bears team.

Ask me how old I feel........

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just had this sent to me. It's just a visual explanation...... :tongue

13158_original_5533_113897243142_514283142_2336253_2409091_n.jpg

Last edited:

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my lor.....

The Bears new kicker, Drew Butler, is the son of the Bears kicker, Kevin Butler. Who was in the Super Bowl winning Bears team.

Ask me how old I feel........

I remember Kevin Butler when he was the field goal kicker for the University of Georgia. Gawd, I'm feeling old too.:)

mailtime

Typed so fast, keyboard's on fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Not a fan, but I hope Redskins absolutely dominate NFC East this season.

mailtime

Typed so fast, keyboard's on fire.
Registered
Reaction score
After all the hype from 2012, RG3 had an awful season. Redskins ended up last in their division, somehow behind the Giants, who also had a terrible season. RG3 deserves better. Much better. And now they actually got a deep threat in Desean Jackson? Let's see this new offense!

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
As a Bear fan surrounded by Packer fans, I'm really hoping things come together better. I'm glad we have Allen, but I'm afraid the Defense needs much more attention than that.

I was thinking we need a lot more than a CB.....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
True. But I'll be interested to see what else we get.

TBF, I know nothing about these guys cos I don't follow college football.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really follow college football that much either. I tend to only look at the college players around draft time. I will say though, the Bears had a bit of bad luck in the draft. A defensive tackle who's amazing at getting to the quarterback got picked right before their turn. That would have been the perfect guy for them.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Looky Here...

Brady and the Patriots coming to my hometown to practice with the Redskins in August...

...which means my hubby will be MIA on the 4th, 5th and 6th of August.

Hmmm,

I think I just might schedule a Girls Summer Shopping Excursion ;)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Brady and the Patriots coming to my hometown to practice with the Redskins in August...

...which means my hubby will be MIA on the 4th, 5th and 6th of August.

Hmmm,

I think I just might schedule a Girls Summer Shopping Excursion ;)

Lavern, we must all celebrate the coming football season in our own way!