A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit))) That is all.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I asked to be bumped. Yeah, it hurt, but it hurt more to see myself on sub. Down to the Pit.

ETA: Atta girl, Cricket!!! Join me in the addiction.

Last edited:

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
'I've had the same thing said to me in a couple rejections - if the market for contemp was better, I'd have signed this.' <- ow. Dagger. To. The. Heart.

I'm envious of you guys who can walk amongst the purgies. The shiny happiness would prob. hurt my eyes, causing me to run to a corner and lick my various wounds

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I like to poke the butterfly in purg. Then, I come down here for a reality check.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Us}}}

Ink, Kell & Red, I'm in the completely opposite position as you guys. The List hasn't been changed for me since it's inception years ago. Some are written in pen, others pencil, but I'm etched in stone. LOL

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing for the last several days. A couple more donations though, and I got an email from an actor who wants to audition lol.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Steve)))

Princess, donations are good!

*pukes all over the Pit* Been that kind of day, sorry. I'll clean it up now.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
(((Steve)))

Princess, donations are good!

*pukes all over the Pit* Been that kind of day, sorry. I'll clean it up now.

Oh, please, like anyone notices whether you clean it up. Maybe just put up one of the Pukey Floor sign notices so we don't slip in it.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
As for today. I realized that I'm in the wrong section of the Purgy list. I'm still under the heading of "Purgies on sub," but I didn't have the heart to message and say, "That's wrong." Because then I realized there is no section for "Purgies in the Pit of Despair."
There is a list like that..... well..... more of a forum thread.... hi :Hug2:

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
HA (of course I have to have the oddball opinion here) I personally like books that are faster paced. And that's the way I tend to write, too. I had one that an agent said was way too rushed. Another said they loved the pace. If editors are looking for books that have a pace that moves quickly like games do, I wonder if those agents who favor slower paced books will tamp down their preference in order to acquire a book that might sell...

I like books that start faster paced too... but I also have to give a damn about the character. That was one of my main problems with Tw!l!ght. B3ll@ started the book whining... and it never stopped!!!

soulcascade said:
You know what question really interests me? Just how much of a factor 'I love this' vs. 'I think this will sell' is when an agent takes on a client. If they love a book but don't think it stands a good chance of selling, would they take the risk anyway? If they 'only' like a book but are pretty sure it will sell will they take it on knowing they aren't all goo goo eyed with love? I know this would be different for each individual, but still an interesting question to ponder
I think it has to go "I love this.... and it will sell!!" or "This could sell.... eventually I'll learn to love it!"

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Stone Cold Steve Cordero - I love that.

I'm not that cynical. I think agents aren't requesting anything that doesn't scream "saleable" not because they are mercenary but because it's painful to them as booklovers. But they don't want to put themselves in a position of loving books they can't sell. But they need to love the saleable books too.

It's like the old saying, "It's as easy to love a rich man as a poor one." If you must love a debut book, make sure it's one that will sell.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Well, remember that agent who had my full for several months beyond her usual response time? And I followed up? And she didn't reply? She finally replied. It was a rejection, of course, but she apologized and said she thought she had sent me an email. Also said it was a hard decision and her intern really liked it. Oy.

This is week started out well and is going to end badly. I have a strong reason to believe that I'll be getting another R tomorrow.

I can haz alcohol?

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{{{{Ink}}}} oh man your R's hurt :( It's so obviously you have the talent it takes, the only thing holding you back is the market...you just need a break to get ahead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.