• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
A couple people in this thread mentioned that Merrilee Heifetz accepts e-mail queries, but I can't find any other site that says that. Have any of you successfully e-queried her?

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
Did you send just the one page query? Or did you add a syn or pages? I can't seem to find what all they want sent.

Just the query. When she responded, she asked for a synopsis and the first fifty.

Good luck to you, too.
--Dev

Last edited:

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
A couple people in this thread mentioned that Merrilee Heifetz accepts e-mail queries, but I can't find any other site that says that. Have any of you successfully e-queried her?

Yep. I received a partial request based on my e query.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I received a full from Merrilee herself off an e-query, but her assistant rejected me today.

11-18-09 query
11-18-09 full request
3-11-10 rejection

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I received a full from Merrilee herself off an e-query, but her assistant rejected me today.

11-18-09 query
11-18-09 full request
3-11-10 rejection

Awww, I'm sorry! That's so awesome that she requested your full, though. I'll have to try her after Steven Malk rejects me. (I think this process is turning me into a pessimist.)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll amend that last statement:

Queried Steven Malk on 3/9, got a request for a full from his assistant today.

YES!

Last edited:

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
S. Malk normally has a very fast turnaround time. I queried him 2-1/2 years ago with a few sample pages. He requested the full a day later. Three days after that he called to discuss the book, saying how much he and his staff liked it but that it needed pretty extensive revisions. He didn't offer to rep me but instead said he would put together some notes and send them to me. Before I got the notes, I withdrew the manuscript.

Despite my impatience, he responded to two or three more subsequent queries with personal rejections--always fast, professional and encouraging. From all I've read, he's a very good agent. From my personal correspondence and phone chat with him, he comes across as a genuinely nice guy. Best of luck to everyone trying to snag him.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to try her after Steven Malk rejects me. (I think this process is turning me into a pessimist.)
LOL, I totally understand this. I was once trying to decide between two agents in an agency. One reps a friend, one tends to go on query breaks but was queriable at the time. I queried the one who repped my friend with a referral, thinking, "She'll request because of the referral, but by the time she rejects that, the other agent won't be taking queries...." LOL, stop being negative.

But that reminds me... I can query other WH agents now with my newer (better) book :hooray:

ETA: Ooh, congrats. I didn't see the post about the request until now

Last edited:

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I'm really thinking of querying Malk but Merillee hasn't gotten back to me yet on my query and I'm really hoping she will...how long should I wait?

millencake

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Steven Malk one week ago and got 2hr reponse for full. Looks like he takes two weeks to read MS, so I've got more waiting to do. Sounds like a great agent though.
I wonder if he or his assistant reads the MS he requests...anybody know?

They both read them.

LittleFlowerLei

Reverse psychologist
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Maya several times (didn't receive a response to the query or the followup) and I decided that I'd send her the revamping of my query letter, but still nothing.

I queried her on 2/20, and now that its 3/13, I'm wondering if I should just chalk this up as a rejection and forget about it.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Maya several times (didn't receive a response to the query or the followup) and I decided that I'd send her the revamping of my query letter, but still nothing.

I queried her on 2/20, and now that its 3/13, I'm wondering if I should just chalk this up as a rejection and forget about it.

Normally I'd say it's way too early for that, LittleFlowerLei, but in this case, yes. Maya Rock has recently left Writers House and agenting altogether (to persue other endeavors, as I recall reading).

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Maya left Writer's House recently, so that's why, especially if you hadn't heard your query had been passed on to someone else. :/

LittleFlowerLei

Reverse psychologist
Registered
Reaction score
Normally I'd say it's way too early for that, LittleFlowerLei, but in this case, yes. Maya Rock has recently left Writers House and agenting altogether (to persue other endeavors, as I recall reading).

Ah dang! Oh well, that happens sometimes.

AimeeLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.godtoldmetosaythat.blogspot.com
Hi all, I am brand-spanking new to AW, so appreciate your patience.

I haven't been able to find anything specific on this thread about Susan Ginsberg. She (or should I say her assistant Bethany?) requested a full manuscript from me jan 18.

Receipt was confirmed in early Feb, but nothing since.

I've only made a dozen submissions and this is only my second full request, so I'm not sure what I should expect.

Has anyone had a full request from Susan?

Do you have any idea whether Bethany's request would have been purely off her own back? (She said in her email "Susan would like to read the full manuscript")

What kind of timeframes are usual in this scenario? I'm a total novice...

Thanks in advance to anyone who has idea / opinions!

Last edited:

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any idea whether Bethany's request would have been purely off her own back? She said in her email "Susan would like to read the full manuscript"...

As far as I can tell, most of the agents at Writers House have their assistants handle rejections and requests when it comes to queries, so that part is nothing unusual!

I'm not sure what Susan's time frame usually is, but a month and a half is still within reason, and it tends to take a bit longer with snail mail queries anyway.

But someone else will be able to give you more specifics. Good luck!

AimeeLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.godtoldmetosaythat.blogspot.com
I'm not sure what Susan's time frame usually is, but a month and a half is still within reason, and it tends to take a bit longer with snail mail queries anyway.

But someone else will be able to give you more specifics. Good luck!

Thanks! Actually, the full was sent email as per the request. But I suspect that doesn't change much in overall timeframe. Will keep waiting. Thanks!

angel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi: I'm planning to query Susan Ginsberg with my historical mystery (parallel timelines; contemporary heroine tracks down her family history) -- can't figure out if Ms. Ginsberg takes snail mail or email queries. Writers House website says snail mail, info elsewhere says email for her. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm about a week into Steven Malk's two week exclusive, and nothing yet. The initial happy glow of my first requested full is turning into panic pretty quickly! I'm trying to keep my hopes nice and low - he's got a full client list and a great reputation, after all.

What kind of experiences have you guys had with Steven Malk? Does he give detailed feedback on requested fulls, or is he a form rejection kind of guy?

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Beckstah -

My experiences with Steven Malk have been excellent. He asked for a full when I queried my last book, and I got a personalized rejection after two weeks. He didn't offer any constructive criticism, but he asked me to please consider him for future projects.

I queried him last month with my new WIP and he responded the next day with a personalized rejection apologizing because the book wasn't a good fit for him. However, he complimented my writing and imagination, and he gave me the name of another agent at WH to query. Unfortunately, it wasn't right for his list either :cry:

Anway, lots of luck. He's a wonderful agent.

ILS

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
Hi: I'm planning to query Susan Ginsberg with my historical mystery (parallel timelines; contemporary heroine tracks down her family history) -- can't figure out if Ms. Ginsberg takes snail mail or email queries. Writers House website says snail mail, info elsewhere says email for her. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Angel, everything I can find on Susan says snail mail only. AgentQuery Querytracker Publishers Marketplace

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm about a week into Steven Malk's two week exclusive, and nothing yet. The initial happy glow of my first requested full is turning into panic pretty quickly! I'm trying to keep my hopes nice and low - he's got a full client list and a great reputation, after all.

What kind of experiences have you guys had with Steven Malk? Does he give detailed feedback on requested fulls, or is he a form rejection kind of guy?

Don't Panic! ;)
I think he may be swamped right now. I am still waiting on some revision notes that he had hoped to send me about two weeks ago.

From everything I've read, he is great about giving feedback, even just on queries!

good luck. :D

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
ejwriter, ILSinTexas, thanks for the responses! I figured he was really busy, but I have a bad habit of reading too much into... well, everything agents do. I'll just have to wait and see!