XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hitting one of those times when I'm just incredibly discouraged about the writing. Nothing I've got going excites me, nothing new is inspiring me.

I've often compared being a writer to being an alcoholic. There are times when I just wish I could put the pen down and do something else. This is one of those times. It's too hard, it too damaging to the ego and the confidence. Please God, let me just walk away. But I can't.

I can't give it up, so I have to find a way back to the Fun Place that makes writing so addictive in the first place. Any suggestions? Help, please, I'm suffering here.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and Mr Kricket is officially a Brony. Apparently when he's up late with the baby he's been watching My Little Pony. I tease him about it relentlessly.

Shun the non-believer.

SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!

I-rest-My-Case-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-30298579-202-250.jpg

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Shun the non-believer.

SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!

I-rest-My-Case-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-30298579-202-250.jpg

I only tease him because he's still a little insecure about it. I love the show although I haven't seen all of it like he has.

And I believe he has seen that picture. He's only late twenties that's not so bad right?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hitting one of those times when I'm just incredibly discouraged about the writing. Nothing I've got going excites me, nothing new is inspiring me.

I've often compared being a writer to being an alcoholic. There are times when I just wish I could put the pen down and do something else. This is one of those times. It's too hard, it too damaging to the ego and the confidence. Please God, let me just walk away. But I can't.

I can't give it up, so I have to find a way back to the Fun Place that makes writing so addictive in the first place. Any suggestions? Help, please, I'm suffering here.

Everyone has periods of doubt when you're convinced your stuff is garbage and is it really worth the time and effort if no one is going to ever read your stuff. Sometimes you can simply muscle through it by simply writing (i.e. working on a current scene, finding a writing prompt, etc). Other times, the best thing you can do is take a break and let your batteries recharge. If it's really a struggle, maybe that's your brain letting you know it needs a little break. Funny thing is, the itch always seems to come back and before you know it, you simply cannot stop writing.

My two coppers.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?

there's really no reason to know who she is - she's a popstar that fizzled and now just recycles herself and gets herself in the tabloids so we know who she is - mostly by dating athletes and having babies.

Man. Could I be any more jaded?

morning all ... another day, another rejection. and now off to work. That's kinda of adding insult to injury don't you think?

ah, but the rejections let you know you're ALIVE!

One week post-fixing, and my kitty is sleek and has a little layer of fat on her!! She has always been so skinny. I'm glad she has just a little layer of subcutaneai* I can't believe she's on the carpet playing while the dishwasher is rattling and banging away. I guess she's getting used to the place!

*totally a word

And AW is slow this mornin'... kinda not fair when I have set a 9:30 am internet cut off time....

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only tease him because he's still a little insecure about it. I love the show although I haven't seen all of it like he has.

And I believe he has seen that picture. He's only late twenties that's not so bad right?

Any show that you enjoy and makes you feel good, no matter how "kid-ish", is worth watching. :D

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score

Not sure this is good advice, but I would probably keep pushing through. A break might make it fun again too. Maybe take some time off and read a ton. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
We gave you Bryan Adams and Nickelback. I think that clears any debts.

*winces* Yeah, okay, let's just call it even.

To elucidate - nothing which has appeared in mainstream (read: superhero) comics in the last decade has advanced the language of the form significantly, and in fact some of the titles I have read seem to be debasing the form. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

I was really loving Planetary, but my sense of the passage of time is such that I can't say if that was this decade or not.

When I was a teen, I was a huge Dr. Strange fan. I mean, I have every single issue up until somewhere in the early 90s (not all in great condition, but hey, I only cared about reading them, not "collecting" them) and I think what eventually turned me off there was a microcosm of a larger trend in comics and, dare I say, literature; the story arcs were fundamentally repetitive, but there started to be a shift towards trying to drum up angst/tension by making characters -- including the MC -- more and more unlikeable. Now, I love me some anti-hero action and I despite shallow, Disneyfied "good guy!" characters, but I really believe you need to have *something* in a story, whether it's comics or tv or fiction, whether it's a character or a need for justice or the setting or what, that the reader can kind of root for. I don't want to read about pointless unmitigated misery staffed with a**holes; that's what real life is for.

Longer rant than I intended. Sorry. Eating lunch at my desk :)

This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?

I didn't know either. Hey, it was only recently that I figured out the Kardashians weren't Star Trek baddies (I'm still not entirely convinced.)

I'm feeling more normal today. Actually got the kitchen cleaned this morning and everything.

Oh and Mr Kricket is officially a Brony. Apparently when he's up late with the baby he's been watching My Little Pony. I tease him about it relentlessly.

Yay for feeling better! My little guy has named one of his toy trucks "Fluttershy".

:Hug2:

I usually take a break and read a couple of books: something really great that I'm looking forward to so I can remember the power and draw of words, then something popular but crappy so I can get the whole "I can do better than this garbage!" righteous ire going. :)

I frequently think about giving up writing, but mostly just so I can have a lot more free time to write. We've all been there, and will be there again someday. Don't give yourself too hard a time about being discouraged, because the more you berate yourself and make yourself feel lousy about feeling that way, the harder it is to stop feeling that way. Do you have other creative outlets you can switch to for a while to give yourself a break? Painting, quilting, drawing, music, gardening, etc?

Or, what Cobra sez:

Everyone has periods of doubt when you're convinced your stuff is garbage and is it really worth the time and effort if no one is going to ever read your stuff. Sometimes you can simply muscle through it by simply writing (i.e. working on a current scene, finding a writing prompt, etc). Other times, the best thing you can do is take a break and let your batteries recharge. If it's really a struggle, maybe that's your brain letting you know it needs a little break. Funny thing is, the itch always seems to come back and before you know it, you simply cannot stop writing.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Not sure this is good advice, but I would probably keep pushing through. A break might make it fun again too. Maybe take some time off and read a ton. :)

I read when I need a break from writing. Sometimes, I'll just read bits of the books that make me feel all "eeeeee! fangirly!" and that usually kicks me back into the "writing is funnnn!" spirit.

Oh, and the confetti did have some sparkles, yes.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Still home, folks. Starting to feel a little better, but not great. I was going to call the dr again, but I'm since I'm slowly starting to feel better, I'll just be slow. I hate that I'm missing all these important things at new job though.

But I have to be able to function to be there, so I'm screwed that way. Yay for paper sorting and cleaning up that can be done sitting down.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I love me some anti-hero action and I despite shallow, Disneyfied "good guy!" characters, but I really believe you need to have *something* in a story, whether it's comics or tv or fiction, whether it's a character or a need for justice or the setting or what, that the reader can kind of root for. I don't want to read about pointless unmitigated misery staffed with a**holes; that's what real life is for.

Actually, on the topic of classic super hero stuff, I do have to say that Kingdom Come, illustrated by Alex Ross and written by Mark Waid, was a nice touchstone on what heroes are and were to people. That's one super hero title in recent times I felt was time well spent as a reader.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to read about pointless unmitigated misery staffed with a**holes; that's what real life is for.

LOL. This is EXACTLY why I stopped reading Iron Man.

And so far (with numerous comic-related talk this week) I am up to three e-mails whining and bitching at me for "not getting it". Better than I had expected...

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
And so far (with numerous comic-related talk this week) I am up to three e-mails whining and bitching at me for "not getting it". Better than I had expected...

Apologies about getting you roped into that. I just likes me some comics from time to time.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
morning all ... another day, another rejection. and now off to work. That's kinda of adding insult to injury don't you think?
Aw :Hug2: At least they wrote you back.

There's a record being taken of discussion... Oh dear lord.
Two actually. There's Cobra's invisible quote book, and I sometimes recycle stuff into an AtCT.

If it helps, even Stephen King says he has days like this. I think that might mean you it's part of being what a writer is. Stick with the roller coaster, give yourself a break and one day it'll all come right again. Alterantively, go watch some kids tv.

Man. Could I be any more jaded sensible?
Fixed that for you.

I'm taking this as reading "you have permission to watch Button Moon and not feel ashamed for enjoying it so much"...
Ooo, Button Moon. I used to love that.

I didn't know either. Hey, it was only recently that I figured out the Kardashians weren't Star Trek baddies (I'm still not entirely convinced.)
:ROFL:

I usually take a break and read a couple of books: something really great that I'm looking forward to so I can remember the power and draw of words, then something popular but crappy so I can get the whole "I can do better than this garbage!" righteous ire going. :)

Great idea.

I went to the writing lecture, and I learnt this. If you're not using the lecture theatre projector and computer system, don't wander about in front of the screen until the computer has gone back to 'standby' or you've turned the projector off or you will end up wandering around in front of your audience with the words 'Press CTRL+ALT+DEL' occasionally appearing across your forehead.

:ROFL:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I should stick to talking about Italian fumetti of the forties, or the wonderful bandes dessinées of the seventies, and then I wouldn't attract the sort of attention I normally draw to myself.

Which reminds me - everyone go out and buy Valerian collections NOW. :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Go to SFF SYW and search for 'sff challenge' Enjoy.

oh... but soon as the crockpot* is clean, I've got beans to wash, an onion to chop up... very excited about pinto beans in the crockpot.

*I typed crocket instead of crockpot! I think that's its new name!

I'm glad Cricket is settling in but please dont ever eat out of a crocket.

;)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, on the topic of classic super hero stuff, I do have to say that Kingdom Come, illustrated by Alex Ross and written by Mark Waid, was a nice touchstone on what heroes are and were to people. That's one super hero title in recent times I felt was time well spent as a reader.

I'm not familiar with that title. Sadly, I have entirely fallen out of the comics world, though I'm never unhappy about recommendations.

you will end up wandering around in front of your audience with the words 'Press CTRL+ALT+DEL' occasionally appearing across your forehead.

:roll:
I'm fairly certain I've seen faculty blue-screen mid-class, but not quite that visibly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.