mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Smartass part deux. *rolls eyes*

all right, all right I'm getting to it.

So anyway, let's start at the beginning. The whole day was a monument to my inability to plan ahead. This is how stupid I am. I had no clue that this was going to be an outdoor rally. There's a perfectly good auditorium at the college that I assumed would be used.

But no.

Last night, there were 40mph wind gusts and the temperature was about 40 degrees. It's really hard to give a rat's patootey about politics when your toes are freezing off. The only good thing about it was that I got to piss off all sorts of prissy people every time I lit up a cigarette.

Yeah, I'm such a maverick.

An estimated crowd of over 5000 people were freezing right alongside me. Interestingly enough, the McCain campaign screened all handwritten signs being brought into the rally. It was really kind of like the poster Nazis. I asked my friend why that was and his response was rather enlightening--"We can't control what people think, but we can control whether they use the McCain campaign to broadcast messages of hate."

I asked him specifically if this was a response to the 'n' word being used at the Palin rally in Florida and he said yes. Thought you guys might find that interesting.

I was rather surprised that Lindsey Graham showed up to introduce McCain. Don't know why that is, but there you have it. I wasn't that impressed with Graham's speech, but it might have had more to do with the fact that crystals were forming on my ass than anything else.

Most disturbing moment: some idiot was circulating a religious pamphlet comparing Sarah Palin to the biblical character Esther. I'm not sure which Persian king she's alleged to be married to, but there you go. 95% of those ended up onthe ground and most of the people in the crowd seemed to think it was a really funny joke.

The whole event ran late--of course. VERY late. I was fairly close to the podium. McCain looked tired, exhausted to the bone. I felt kind of sorry for him. Especially when he started his speech and mentioned that it was 41 years to the day since he'd been shot down in Vietnam. You guys can scoff if you want, but I have to tell you that as a moment it was profound. Very profound. He may not have the oratorical skills of Barack Obama, but he has every possible grasp of rhetorical significance. He didn't dwell on it, didn't make a big deal out of it at all. But just the mention of his 'intercepting a missile with his plane' made 5000 people shut up entirely and there was a moment of silence that I would never have expected.

Of course, it didn't last long at all.

The speech was pretty humdrum although (tiny terror might like this) McCain did speak of freezing government spending on everything except the VA, defense, medicare and medicaid. I made note of that because it wasn't what I expected to hear. There was little mention of the democratic ticket, although McCain did hit at the redistribution of wealth issue--which was greeted very vociferously by the crowd who did NOT like even the concept of it and mentioned that 'Obama was already measuring for new drapes for the White House.' All of the quotes are paraphrases--I don't take notes well in the dark.

It was about this time when my friend came up behind me and poked me in the back. The Q & A session wasn't going to happen, he said, but if I wanted to meet McCain he would take me to a place where I could. (I figured the subtext was "ask your question there, Celina" so I went along with it.) So it turned out that I was on the path back to the straight talk express waiting for John McCain to shake my cold, frozen, brittle hand.

His hand was not cold. It was warm. He didn't squeeze my hand hard enough to break it (like Clinton did when I met him but that's a different story)--it was a simple, impersonal handshake. And I blurted, "Senator McCain--can you explain to me how the federal bailout package will help those Americans who are facing foreclosures?"

His response? "It won't for a while. It will help the banks that hold those loans."

Then he smiled at me, patted my shoulder and moved on. In the end, under the circumstances it was about the answer I expected. The straight talk express moved on and I made to the nearest bar where I warmed up with Bailey's and coffee and kicked myself for being an idiot.

And thus went my McCain rally experience. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on another sweater and try to pretend like I've warmed up.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
hey, you questioned McCain, so mission accomplished :Thumbs:
Good going. That took guts, especially with an unforcasted, one-on-one meeting.
What a scenario though: 40 degrees, 40 mph winds, and an auditorium a stones throw away. Sheesh.
The Palin pamphlet sounds humorous. You should've held on to a copy and posted it :-D

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
hey, you questioned McCain, so mission accomplished :Thumbs:
Good going. That took guts, especially with an unforcasted, one-on-one meeting.
What a scenario though: 40 degrees, 40 mph winds, and an auditorium a stones throw away. Sheesh.
The Palin pamphlet sounds humorous. You should've held on to a copy and posted it :-D

Thanks! I have to admit, though, I make it a personal quest from God not to handle any religious treatise if I can help it. It breaks me out in hives. I thought about bringing up to the guy that handed it to me that Esther was selected by Ahaseurus from his harem and was basically a...you know...but I then I realized exactly how far away my car was...

The auditorium wouldn't have been large enough, obviously. Might have been a bit warmer though.

Well, thanks for freezing your tuckus off for us AW-ers and representing us so well. :)

*grin*

Only for you guys...only for you guys.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Thanks for being there, and doing your part. And congratulations on being a part of history. True, it won't make the history books, but that ain't all bad, is it? :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks for the report, mscelina. And really cool you got to shake the man's hand and ask him the question.

It's quite different from what I experienced at the Obama rally (for one thing, it was a hot, sunny day -- HA HA HA! And no poster nazis, etc.). What they had were all kinds of vendors selling T-shirts and buttons and playing cards; it was more like a carnival.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, mscelina! I bring Communion to an elderly gentleman who was a navigator on a bomber in WWII (20+ missions) and I get the privilege of shaking his hand every Sunday. As many view Senator McCain as an American hero, I view my homebound friend. He thanks me each week for bring him Communion, and I thank him each week for his service. I have a deep respect for all the men and women who have sacrificed for our freedom.

Regarding your question - I know I'm not going to vote Obama, but I'm not sure if I'll vote McCain either. His answer has left me more confused. I thought the banks were going to start receiving money today. How will McCain's plan help banks and not the homeowners risking foreclosure? I wish he would have expained in more detail.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I wish I could have asked the question in the format for which it was designed. As it was, since the poor man was fleeing toward the only warm spot for five miles, I wasn't that disappointed in his response. To me, at least, it showed that he acknowledged what we already knew--that the bailout wasn't going to have an effect upon the people it was allegedly designed to help. I would have loved to follow up on it enough to find out what he thought would help, but there wasn't an opportunity.

Apparently, there's a picture floating around somewhere of my moment in McCainland. I'll try to find it for you. I'm sure that, as usual, I'm the one in the picture with her mouth open.

Go figure.