Computer shuts down- your day's work is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
You must have a great computer! May I ask what company made it? If it hasn't ever crached in living memory, then that must be a very reliable company.

But then again, I have at least half a dozen software running at once.

I'd like to know because I hope to make a heavy laptop investment in the upcoming months.

Hey Darzian :)

It's a Dell Vostro 1000 that still has windows XP, (which is probably why it never crashes!) with wordperfect. I bought it on-line at the time. Good machine, not-so-good customer service.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Darzian :)

It's a Dell Vostro 1000 that still has windows XP, (which is probably why it never crashes!) with wordperfect. I bought it on-line at the time. Good machine, not-so-good customer service.

Ah, k thanks! Dell. That's good. Good old XP.

briane1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
I have had this malady many times, and came up with a solution that raises many an eyebrow. I spent $200 and had grandpa's old Royal typewriter restored, and now my writing goes through that. Well, first draft is on paper; then I go to the Royal using my two-finger method; then the ms. goes into the computer for the final draft/polishing phase. At that point, if the computer goes bughouse, the worst case is retyping a few lines. --Brian

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I am now e-mailing myself the WIP at the end of every week, in case of total hardware collapse. I never considered it before, but attaching a Word file is real quick.

It's such a neat trick- I wonder why I never thought of it before. I got the idea from Artemis Fowl. Undoubtedly, plenty of you are already applying this tactic.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I am now e-mailing myself the WIP at the end of every week, in case of total hardware collapse. I never considered it before, but attaching a Word file is real quick.

It's such a neat trick- I wonder why I never thought of it before. I got the idea from Artemis Fowl. Undoubtedly, plenty of you are already applying this tactic.

Online backup is also another option. Most of them are relatively inexpensive. The only painful part is the first backup, which might take a while since it's doing everything. After that, it'll back up the files updated that day every night. You can also do a manual backup (clicking one button) if you want to do it earlier. Backs up the bookmarked links, too. This is one of the sites: http://mozy.com/ Up to two gig is free; after that, it's about $5 a month.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
God, what a priceless website! I didn't realize such sites allowed you to upload for free! Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.