• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Loose Id

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com
I just got an acceptance from Loose Id for a fantasy romance novella set in Africa. I thought it might not be steamy enough for them, but I guess sex in a waterhole and inside a hollow baobab tree must have been a hit. :)

The quick turnaround time (they want it out January/February) surprised me, but after reading this thread, it looks like that's SOP. So yay!

Hey, congratulations!!

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I sent a query letter two days ago. I was so proud of myself that I went back and reread the letter. I found a spelling mistake in the first sentence.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
The pricing for LI books seems high compared to other books out there. I subbed to them before I was published (Rejection, but I'd like to submit again). I'm slightly hesitant though. I've learned a lot since my first novel was picked up and I worry that LI prices on books are too expensive. Samhain, for example, also prices rather high, but maybe they, and LI, have a readership willing to pay? Carina Press prices seem lower. For most books out there the 'sweet spot' seems to be up to $3.99 for full-length novels, but that's just my personal observation and maybe I'm wrong. Are people's novels/novellas selling well at LI prices?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
My space opera romance is one of the bigger novels LI has published, with a word count at around 100K. It's selling on their website for USD $7.99. Sales have dropped a bit, but it is selling. The sequel will be 30K shorter and lower in price, so that should help sweeten the deal.

Coming from the science-fiction and fantasy side of the genre, where $8 and $9 books are common, I have little problem with LI's pricing. I know many romance readers balk because they've seen equally large books for $4 and $5 from other publishers. Would I sell more ebook copies of Moro's Price at a dollar or two lower? Possibly. OTOH, that book was a pain to edit in the time that we did it, and I'm sure formatting it was no cakewalk, either.

If LI charged $10 to $14 I'd have objections. As it is, I'm okay with it. At my least charitable, I'm sometimes inclined to think that too many e-rom readers have been a little spoiled by their publishers (some of whom may not have had the best quality writing, editing, and formatting to work with from the start).

Bear in mind, if I were self-publishing something similar at that length, I'd drop the price to around $5.99, just to undercut the commercial publishing market. But I wouldn't go lower, except on very special and limited sales.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The pricing for LI books seems high compared to other books out there. I subbed to them before I was published (Rejection, but I'd like to submit again). I'm slightly hesitant though. I've learned a lot since my first novel was picked up and I worry that LI prices on books are too expensive. Samhain, for example, also prices rather high, but maybe they, and LI, have a readership willing to pay? Carina Press prices seem lower. For most books out there the 'sweet spot' seems to be up to $3.99 for full-length novels, but that's just my personal observation and maybe I'm wrong. Are people's novels/novellas selling well at LI prices?
As far I know Samhain doesn't have any books priced over $5.50. Loose ID does have books over $7, but they seem to still sell well.

I believe all Loose ID books are erotic romance so they don't have any low heat level books for sale there. Low heat level or sweet books have traditionally been a harder sell from digital first and ebook publishers.

Congrats Queen of Swords. I too have a paranormal erotic romance set in Africa coming out, but mine is with Samhain. lol

Last edited:

slashedkaze

Smutter
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like LI are changing their pricing structure, going a bit lower. It's already in effect for books being released now, but they won't change the prices on older titles.
My 74k novel with them did okay at 5,99.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I sent a query letter two days ago. I was so proud of myself that I went back and reread the letter. I found a spelling mistake in the first sentence.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

I did the same a couple of months back with a query for a short things (to someone else, not Loose Id) where I referred to a character as an office instead of an officer. Kill me now. :e2smack:

Either they didn't notice or didn't care as they bought it anyway.

The moral of the story is - never ever go back and look at a sent query.

I've got a submission with my editor at the moment - so the first thing I do every morning when I wake up is check my email. :D And of course I have a heart attack if I get an email from her or Loose Id about something unrelated to the submission!

That's one of the tricky parts about subbing to a publisher you already have books with. They may email you about other stuff and make you go "OMG, OMG, OM-oh wait."

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, good to know. I have a sci-fi out but it's not erotic romance, 95K, but it wasn't selling at $5.99, and my publisher dropped the price to $4.99. It's moving now, but we'll have to see how it goes. Interesting that LI can charge higher and get good sales. Yay!

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com

Carina's prices are too low in my opinion. I've seen box sets from them for 99 cents. That's crazy.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
From my years at trade show booths: too-low prices often set up lowered expectations for buyers, so artisans/publishers who charge too little can actually turn away some pickier buyers. It's a careful dance between what your profit margins need and what the market will bear.

Last edited:

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
10/3 - Queried

10/28 - Received a very personal and heartfelt rejection letter from Heather.

I'm sad about the rejection, but happy about the turn around time and that I got a personal letter.

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
10/3 - Queried

10/28 - Received a very personal and heartfelt rejection letter from Heather.

I'm sad about the rejection, but happy about the turn around time and that I got a personal letter.

Oh, I'm sorry, Bogna! Did they give you any useful feedback at least?

LoriToland

Registered
Reaction score
$7.99 is the pricing for books 90K+ but usually the books fall into the 5.99 to 6.99 range, or lower. And yes, they do sell.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Been so busy with NaNoWriMo I forgot to follow up on here.

Submission sent 28th September - the full thing as I already have books with them so don't have to send a partial first.
Acceptance received 6th November. :)

Slated for late Feb release. I'm expecting first round of edits any time - just hoping I finish my NaNoWriMo draft first. So close!

ETA: whoops! Forgot to say woohoo WriterInChains!

Last edited:

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
My road so far...

10/11 - query + first 3
10/12 - confirmation of receipt (with a kind warning I might not hear anything for 6-8 weeks)
10/27 - request for the full ms
11/13 - contract offer!

The offer letter outlined the changes they wanted to see during editing so I could make an informed decision, which is very cool.

If I read everything correctly, publication may be scheduled for March of 2015. Which is both scary and wonderful!

Been so busy with NaNoWriMo I forgot to follow up on here.

Submission sent 28th September - the full thing as I already have books with them so don't have to send a partial first.
Acceptance received 6th November. :)

Slated for late Feb release. I'm expecting first round of edits any time - just hoping I finish my NaNoWriMo draft first. So close!

ETA: whoops! Forgot to say woohoo WriterInChains!

Expecting my first round of edits any day now too. *champing at the bit*

Congratulations on your acceptance, WIC!

Big huge congrats to you all!

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Realized I had benefited hugely from this thread but never actually updated with my own Loose Id experience. So, so far...

8/5 - Query + first 3
8/7 - Receipt confirmation and 6-8 week turnaround estimate
8/30 - Request for whole ms
9/7 - Contract offer (!) with details on what they'd need tweaked/changed
9/24 - Submitted the changed ms
9/30 - Submitted a second version (I had some setting questions which differed from the original version in my query)
10/26 - First edits back
11/8 - Second edits back
11/21 - Third edits back, plus marketing prep materials request
12/10 - Line edits back
12/26 - Proofer's comments back

Right now, things are apparently on-course for a January 27th, 2015 release.

I've been super-impressed by the turnaround time, communicativeness of both my editor at LI and the rest of the team, and the willingness to hold the hand of a first-time-published author. I also regularly praise the stars for Filigree, who pointed me in LI's direction in the first place.

I'm pretty convinced (so far) that, if I only end up selling two copies, it'll be because my story is appalling rather than anything LI has done wrong.

-Alex

Last edited:

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Thanks. And your story is not appalling; I wouldn't have nagged you incessantly to sub there, if it had been.

You've got me blushing again. I'm so, so looking forward to getting this story out there and hearing what people actually think: I'm at the stage now where I can't think of it as a piece of fiction any more, it's just "The Novel-Shaped Lump" that I'm (hopefully) finally done with editing.

A.