ow do I authorize my new computer to re-download previous iTunes purchases?

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed iTunes on my new comp (the old one crashed), and it says I'm not authorized to re-download my stuff.

Deleted member 42

Log via iTunes in using the Apple ID you used to purchase the media.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad you posted this thread.
I've had my new computer for a year and finally got round to downloading I Tunes and was wondering how I found all my songs again. Hooray! I has a happy!

Deleted member 42

Just in case though, once you've re-downloaded them all, use the built in ability to backup / burn CDs or DVDs to make local backups.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Just in case though, once you've re-downloaded them all, use the built in ability to backup / burn CDs or DVDs to make local backups.

I have all of the songs on CD anyway. But it would be nice to have them on shuffle while I'm working.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I think Apple wants me to pay for all my downloads again. Can that be right? :(

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If I'm not mistaken, I think Apple wants me to pay for all my downloads again. Can that be right? :(

If you are logged into your itunes account you should be able to download all your purchases to any authorised computer. But you have to do it via the right "screen". Go to your account, there is a link on the right side. It will prompt you to either download all, or download those not on your computer.

I can't remember the exact way to get to that screen but can look it up when I get home.

Deleted member 42

No. Sometimes the license terms change and Apple withdraws a track or an album.

Are you being confused by an offer to allow you to pay a fee per track to download new higher resolution audio versions without DRM?

Are you sure you're using the same Apple ID (tied to an email) that you used to purchase the songs?

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I am suffering from editor's brain today, not geared to IT matters. I figured out what I hadn't done, and that was to authorise the new computer. Now I have and I'm downloading everything as we speak.