Soft/Social Sci Fi Stories and Publications

Status
Not open for further replies.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know of any magazines, webzines, etc that published this sort of stuff--where the speculative element isn't new technology, but a different way of organization in society?

I'm trying to think of an example of what I want, and all I can come up with is 'dystopian'--maybe not '1984' or 'Brave New World' so much, but more like Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale'. But especially in short-story form.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to read asimov's nine tomorrows of late. my schedule has been busy of late so i haven't got much read time in on anything, but as i have gathered so far, it is a bit dystopian.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking to sell a story, MumblingSage? if so, try Asimov's first, and F&SF obviously. Baen's Universe, SH and Abyss and Apex.

Partially, but I'm acutally looking for some to read as well. I just got interested in the sub-genre (once I inadvertedly started writing it), and I'd like to find some.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I am not as knowledgeable about SF as I'd like, but good social SF is hard to pull off in short stories because of the worldbuilding space. For novels, if you haven't yet, try

L.M. Bujold, the Vorkosigan series (start with Shards of Honor)
C.J. Cherryh, Cyteen
Ursula LeGuin, Four Ways to Forgiveness

Short story markets, in addition to those already mentioned, check out Interzone. They are also a great market to submit to. Also Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show (IGMS) for both submitting and reading - not sure how much soft SF they ran lately...

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
L.M. Bujold, the Vorkosigan series (start with Shards of Honor)

I've read her work, and liked it, but it isn't quite what I'm going for here--there's space travel, genetic alterations, artificial gravity, etc. That's more 'technology' science fiction, though she explores some social perspectives as well.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
sorry, nine tomorrows is not a dystopian, was just supposed to look that way.

best model for a dystopian society i have seen is in the bible actually. story doesn't take place in a dystopian society but describes one pretty well. i can't find my bible right now and can't remember where it is exactly. when i find it i'll edit this post.

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
This is the kind of SF I love (and write!). I'd definitely recommend Ursula LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness, if you haven't read it already. As far as magazines go, I know that Analog is reputed as a very hard science fiction magazine, but on the other hand Dr. Stanley Schmidt really enjoys linguistic and cultural stories (which is how I first got published, in fact). So you might find some in there if you go looking. Sheila Finch published a series of short stories called The Guild of Xenolinguists which is all about humans dealing with alternate languages and cultures. Cool stuff. As far as humans in a different social arrangement, I'm less sure. But hopefully you'll find some things there that you enjoy.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I started Left Hand of Darkness a long time ago and never got to finish it. I had to return it to the Library.

Another Soft SF novel is Moving Mars by Greg Bear. Yes there is some hard SF in it but it's definitely more Soft than Hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.