• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Boring Betas Need Not Apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegetarian Cannibal

I eat clowns.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thevegetariancannibal.blogspot.com
Greetings, fellow cyberspace travelers!

I am in desperate need of a second beta for my 85K Paranormal/Historical YA. Preferably a beta with some experience in the publishing world (like me). My story is geared more toward older teens (16+) and college students in their twenties, but it could crossover into the "adult fiction" category since some of the themes I tackle in this book are pretty intense.

I'm not gonna lie. There's some violence. A little sex. And some good old fashioned adult situations to keep the pages turning. However, I treat these themes with respect and nothing is written to titillate the reader. No cheap thrills here. I promise.

Anyway, my story is set during the Salem Witch Trials and my main character is a slave who may or may not be a werewolf...or a lesbian. *grin*

If you're interested in a "serious" or "edgy" YA novel that does not involve glittering vampires with angst-ridden teenagers, shoot me a PM and let's get started! I am more than willing to do a beta-swap in return. :)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
VC

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
You may already have several PM's offering to beta-read for all I know, but in case you don't, a few suggestions on how to get more:

1) Give a more in-depth description of your manuscript other than it's set during the Salem witch trials and may contain werewolves. Post the summary paragraph from your query, if you have one.

2) Be more specific on what experience you want your beta-reader to have. We don't know you, therefore saying you want your beta-reader to have about the same publishing experience as you means very little to us.

Best of luck.

-Katrina, who considers herself incredibly boring.

theresa.mcclinton

"Crossing Realms of YA Romance."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com
Hi all! So, I actually just finished being the very first Beta reader for the The Witching Tree, VC's WIP. And here is my honest-to-god opinion if your interested in being Beta #2.

When I was done Beta swapping with VC, I have to say it was one of the best Beta experiences I've had. She's got a sharp eye for plot holes and is quick to respond to your chapters. Also, her WIP was interesting, and unladen with tons of errors.

Just thought I would chime in, since i saw her post.

Good luck with your second Beta, VC! It was a pleasure!!!

Vegetarian Cannibal

I eat clowns.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aw, thanks Theresa! :) That was nice of you to say. It was a pleasure working with you as well. We newbs gotta stick together around here.

Note to self: write synopsis/query, lol!

VC

Hi all! So, I actually just finished being the very first Beta reader for the The Witching Tree, VC's WIP. And here is my honest-to-god opinion if your interested in being Beta #2.

When I was done Beta swapping with VC, I have to say it was one of the best Beta experiences I've had. She's got a sharp eye for plot holes and is quick to respond to your chapters. Also, her WIP was interesting, and unladen with tons of errors.

Just thought I would chime in, since i saw her post.

Good luck with your second Beta, VC! It was a pleasure!!!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
...some of the themes I tackle in this book are pretty intense.

...good old fashioned adult situations to keep the pages turning. However, I treat these themes with respect and nothing is written to titillate the reader. No cheap thrills here. I promise...who may or may not be a werewolf...or a lesbian. *grin*

I wish you well. There's nothing here suggesting a bad story or bad writing. But if you don't mind my bluntness, there's some contradictory information in your post.

I'm out.

Karenpfowler

Registered
Reaction score
Hehe... I just responded to your email VC... now I can see by your synopsis that my
"sex and lesbian tendencies" warning could have been skipped. Lol

Karen

Vegetarian Cannibal

I eat clowns.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hehe... I just responded to your email VC... now I can see by your synopsis that my
"sex and lesbian tendencies" warning could have been skipped. Lol

Karen

Thanks for the email, Karen! Can't wait to start working with you! :D W00t!

And thank you everyone who has "swamped" (yes, swamped) my inbox with PMs! *happy dance* I do have quite a few requests at the moment, but hey, the offer still stands! :D Man, I love this website!

Looking forward to getting to know you all and make some friends!

VC

theresa.mcclinton

"Crossing Realms of YA Romance."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com
Thanks for the email, Karen! Can't wait to start working with you! :D W00t!

And thank you everyone who has "swamped" (yes, swamped) my inbox with PMs! *happy dance* I do have quite a few requests at the moment, but hey, the offer still stands! :D Man, I love this website!

Looking forward to getting to know you all and make some friends!

VC

Hahaha, VC, you are too funny!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I wish you well. There's nothing here suggesting a bad story or bad writing. But if you don't mind my bluntness, there's some contradictory information in your post.

I'm out.

veg, I'm glad you got betas, and have little doubt you're a good person, but I sort of ended up in bed with Rob and Katrina (*edit: and perhaps toth, from the looks of it... ) (apologies to both for the disturbing image).....I only say that because in a perfect world you'd appeal as widely as possible, and the contradictory suggestions and lack of actual specifics left me with the "nfw" vibe as well.

you got your betas, and I'm glad and wish you luck, just suggesting a possible consideration for the query when you get there--focus on the meat more and less on being flip?

Good luck, and I do mean that,
quick

Status
Not open for further replies.