The next big thing

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
My thriller experiment doesn't seem to be working (harsh rejection on a full; it isn't "unique"), so this weekend I sat down and wrote the first chapter of a sexy NA, just as another experiment.

Thing is, I haven't actually read any NA, and this plot includes espionage and psi powers, and the heroine is virginal but also bitter and cynical, so I have a feeling it won't fit the trend. But the steamy stuff -- that I can do! I'm trying to figure out if I can reconcile what I find sexy with what the market finds sexy, since romance seems to sell most consistently.

I'm also considering shelving my thriller after 40 queries to see if the market ever swings back that way, because I like it, and I don't like trunking books. In the meantime I have two more books to revise, one of which I may try to steam up into sorta-maybe NA. But I can't fit the best-selling NA template, and I'm at peace with that. It just ain't for me. (That said, I was encouraged by the sample I read of UNTEACHABLE, because it was beautifully written with a non virginal, even sexually aggressive female MC, and it's certainly sold well.)

Nicole River

with the weird fowl in her userpic
Registered
Reaction score
(That said, I was encouraged by the sample I read of UNTEACHABLE, because it was beautifully written with a non virginal, even sexually aggressive female MC, and it's certainly sold well.)
Unteachable *is* an exceptional book, but that's just it, it's an exception. The author explicitly said in many interviews that she doesn't read NA, for the exact reasons I don't. And yeah if I could write a romance half as well I'd at least try, for sure.

But yours sounds spec! There's much debate whether spec NA is the next step for NA. Might be worth a try.

As for thrillers, yikes! What kind of thriller is it? I have two very different ones in the works, awaiting word of agent on one of them, and wondering if I totally missed the boat. I keep hearing thrillers are still OK as long as there are no paranormal elements (drat!).

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
This! I wrote my YA contemp for the concept but I fell in love with my MC so hard. Its a good experiment to step outside your box. Never know what you'll learn!

I totally agree with this. I've written in several genres and age categories. Sure, a lot of it has sucked, but it's fun to experiment and sometimes you might surprise yourself!

It's interesting, though, to think about writers who write things they don't love just to try to catch a trend or get published. It always makes me wonder about author branding. I mean, if I write a kick-ass SF and I sell it, won't my readers expect more kick-ass SF from me? What if I really don't like writing SF? Won't I get bored or burned out?

I dunno. Maybe it's less of an issue for YA writers, since so many seem to be able to cross genres successfully, but I've heard a lot of talk about author branding from adult writers who feel like they really have to establish themselves in a given genre. I was even at a conference session where the use of pseudonyms for writing in multiple genres was discussed heavily.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting, though, to think about writers who write things they don't love just to try to catch a trend or get published. It always makes me wonder about author branding. I mean, if I write a kick-ass SF and I sell it, won't my readers expect more kick-ass SF from me? What if I really don't like writing SF? Won't I get bored or burned out?

I dunno. Maybe it's less of an issue for YA writers, since so many seem to be able to cross genres successfully, but I've heard a lot of talk about author branding from adult writers who feel like they really have to establish themselves in a given genre. I was even at a conference session where the use of pseudonyms for writing in multiple genres was discussed heavily.

Yeah, I think in general YA writers have to worry about this a lot less than adult-genre writers. It's often seen as a selling point when an author crosses genres. It gives an excuse to turn that writer into a debut again. Lots of "X WRITER's fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian debut!"

I've also noticed, lately, a few debut authors releasing two books in their debut year, of vastly different genres. Kasie West released her paranormal debut, PIVOT POINT, and then THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, her contemp debut, in the same year. Same with Cyia and ARCLIGHT, and then PREMEDITATED. Interesting stuff.

Levico

lookin' for werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think in general YA writers have to worry about this a lot less than adult-genre writers. It's often seen as a selling point when an author crosses genres. It gives an excuse to turn that writer into a debut again. Lots of "X WRITER's fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian debut!"

I've also noticed, lately, a few debut authors releasing two books in their debut year, of vastly different genres. Kasie West released her paranormal debut, PIVOT POINT, and then THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, her contemp debut, in the same year. Same with Cyia and ARCLIGHT, and then PREMEDITATED. Interesting stuff.

A prime example of this is the switch from Twi- (sorry, threw up in my mouth) Twilight to The Host by Stephanie Myer. Supernatural romance to a sci-fi/dystopian romance? Bring it on.

I hope SF takes a rise. The recent revamp of Ender's Game really gave me a taste for it. However, I'd also like to see some unique Fantasy works put out. Not cookie-cutter stuff, but some fresh, new ideas to spark the next wave.
~Lev

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
The manga that comes to mind off hand, would be something like Boys Be. While it was good, wouldn't something I'd normally be interested in today. Or are we speaking of things beyond contemporary? For older teen I mean.

Here are a couple examples of what springs to MY mind when people talk about New Adult. It's NOT the cheesy romance sub-category it is in the US, it's this:

Solanin- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HCQGKXG/?tag=absowrit-20

What a Wonderful World- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HCQHUTO/?tag=absowrit-20

Honey and Clover- http://www.amazon.com/dp/1421515040/?tag=absowrit-20

Judge- (this one is kind of a stretch since it's a thriller and the character's ages range from teen to college age) http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316252662/?tag=absowrit-20

I sort of keep waiting for NA to mature into something other than it is. And unfortunately the above manga are exceptions to the usual fair. Din't get me wrong- I LOVE manga, but not all of it is amazing.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
As for thrillers, yikes! What kind of thriller is it? I have two very different ones in the works, awaiting word of agent on one of them, and wondering if I totally missed the boat. I keep hearing thrillers are still OK as long as there are no paranormal elements (drat!).

Mine has a paranormal element, unfortunately. No vampires or werewolves or anything, but a psychic connection. I can't tell if that's the problem, or if it's the serial killer aspect, or if the whole concept just seems unoriginal.

Are all paranormal elements off limits now? That's killing me ... I do have a contemp thriller idea, but don't know if I can pull it off.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm not sure I can judge about romance, I'm not really sure what is good romance and what isn't -- besides the obvious. I'm still waiting for that good chemistry story with a relationship built up over a month.

Nicole River

with the weird fowl in her userpic
Registered
Reaction score
Mine has a paranormal element, unfortunately. No vampires or werewolves or anything, but a psychic connection. I can't tell if that's the problem, or if it's the serial killer aspect, or if the whole concept just seems unoriginal.

Are all paranormal elements off limits now? That's killing me ... I do have a contemp thriller idea, but don't know if I can pull it off.

Yeah... don't you love it when they're so specific with their comments. /sarcasm

That idea sounds pretty unique to me, actually. Maybe it's other aspects, characters, plot threads? Or maybe it's just that particular agent. They mean it when they say it's a subjective business... (which doesn't make it any easier for us of course :( )

I know, it sucks re the paranormal elements. They make everything better :( I'm giving thrillers a shot now and I'm finding it's not so bad because they can still be fast-paced and unrealistic :D But still it's a constant struggle not to give anyone powers.

*pours a glass of wine and waits for paranormal to come back*

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think paranormal thrillers sound exciting.

And I sure hope all things speculative are not dead. I'm pretty sure I'm not capable of writing anything that isn't speculative (probably why my contemporary/literary college creative writing professor didn't care much for my stories).

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Personally, I think paranormal thrillers sound exciting.

And I sure hope all things speculative are not dead. I'm pretty sure I'm not capable of writing anything that isn't speculative (probably why my contemporary/literary college creative writing professor didn't care much for my stories).

I can write contemp and such, but I don't want to live in a world where that's the only thing I can sell.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I can't write contemporary. Maybe historical. But if speculative fiction dies in YA, I'm moving to either MG or adult.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Spec fiction won't die. We just have to get past a point where every element of it looks like a trend that either already passed or never took. Teens were reading vampires long before Twilight and will continue to do so long after. It's a mindset that unfortunately has taken in publishing, that because so much YA in the last 10 years has chased trends (or appeared to), every book that has an element of a past trend is considered no longer salable, even though that trend might have been years ago.

What I suspect we'll see going forward is what you see for speculative fiction that hasn't had a trend yet. Unlike the days where an agent might take on several vampire or dystopia authors on top of their current authors writing to that trend because it's hot, we'll see agents stick to a single author writing that speculative element, and that might be one they already have (Yes, I have gotten "This sounds great, but one of my current authors is writing about those" rejections.)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Sage.

There are plenty of YA readers who love spec, so there's always going to be a home for it.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Spec YA still seems to be the genres fans love best. You see don't see as much avid fandom for contemporary novels as you do with fantasy/sci-fi dystopian books. No fan art, not as much "team this" and "team that," no t-shirts.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Face it. We are adventurers on the sea of literary endeavors. We might as well accept that we are in a risky business and forge ahead with whatever courage we can muster.

YES! YES! YES!

I'm also considering shelving my thriller after 40 queries to see if the market ever swings back that way,

Okay, but, I've heard of a lot of authors - good authors - who took 150 queries to get an agent. I wouldn't give up just yet.

If paranormal is dead, does that mean fantasy's dead too?

Nothing's dead! Keep writing.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
what about a wizard who falls in love with a vampire in a post-apocolypitic world?? heh? heh??

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Spec YA still seems to be the genres fans love best. You see don't see as much avid fandom for contemporary novels as you do with fantasy/sci-fi dystopian books. No fan art, not as much "team this" and "team that," no t-shirts.
I think it's because of the series being totally dominant within the spec sector of the market. Stand-alone novels have less of a fandom potential. Just like most movie fandoms seem to belong to some franchise with several movies attached.

Speaking of experiments, I just decided to turn my vaguely paranormal YA romance WIP into a straight contemporary NA (with one virgin, two trust fund baby-studs of college age, and a murder, can't do without the last one) and now I am frantically considering the amount of sex I will need to squeeze into it. Feels funny. Like balancing between being more-than-YA and yet not quite writing-in-an-adult-voice.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that NA has to be so much about sex? The last time I checked, sex is not the only thing on the minds of college age people.

I have at least one idea for a supernatural NA, but now I'm not sure if I should write that or not.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Why is it that NA has to be so much about sex? The last time I checked, sex is not the only thing on the minds of college age people.

I have at least one idea for a supernatural NA, but now I'm not sure if I should write that or not.

It doesn't have to be, but Romance has always sold incredibly well, and almost all the well-known NA has been romance, so many people are jumping on the wagon to cash in.

After awhile, that should change as the novelty wears off and the market gets saturated. Then people with regular contemp, or spec, or thrillers, will be well positioned to sell books that are just different enough to be interesting again.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score

I have no idea, but from what I've seen here and on agents's blogs, it seems a NA with a romantic plot line but without at least some (I haven't figured out the exact amount of it yet) sex is simply not tolerated. And mine definitely has one. It's like 70% romance 30% mystery/thriller.

I didn't drop the supernatural aspect because I turned the story into NA, I just got tired of it. I was playing with it on and off and the WIP wasn't going anywhere because I tried to put a fresh spin on it but ended up with something either tired or forced instead, and as a reader of spec, I hate it when authors try to feed me yesterday's mashed potatoes with a French cuisine label slapped on.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the big NA books I'm seeing out there, it feels like NA is more of a subcategory of romance, rather than an extension of YA. I'd love some examples proving me wrong though :)