Laptop fell

Timinator

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timothytrimble.com
In a best case situation, it could just be some connections, as Jimmy said. If you're handy with tools, take it apart, put it back together, and maybe it'll work.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of computer is it? Does the screen come on?

Hopefully it's just the hard drive that has come loose or was damaged, and the computer can't see anything to boot from. If you have your installation discs, try booting from the install discs to see if the rest of the computer still works. If it does, see if the disc can see the hard drive. If it can, either the hard drive is damaged, or something else has happened that's harder to diagnose over the internet. If it can't see the hard drive, it might have just gotten knocked loose of its connection.

In that case, open up your laptop company's website and find instructions for replacing the hard drive. Follow the instructions, open up the computer, and check whether the hard drive is securely installed.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Eek! I don't think I'd be taking a screwdriver to it myself. I'd be calling on of those small computer places that are in light industrial areas and are nothing more than a counter and one or two people surrounded by a bunch of computer guts.

Those guys can usually fix anything (including extracting software and data from a hard box that literally caught on fire).

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
@kuwi: it's an HP laptop. And no, nothing comes on except the indicator lights.

I took a screwdriver to some of the slots on the bottom, but everything seemed connected (what do I know anyway?). So I took it in and they did the same thing, and came to the same conclusion. So now its with their diagnostics people. In the meantime, since we never backup, they're doing that for us on a 320 gig external drive. Which is neat, I've never owned an external drive before.

If they can fix it, I might have them add memory too, it was woefully insufficient.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
@kuwi: it's an HP laptop. And no, nothing comes on except the indicator lights.

I took a screwdriver to some of the slots on the bottom, but everything seemed connected (what do I know anyway?). So I took it in and they did the same thing, and came to the same conclusion. So now its with their diagnostics people. In the meantime, since we never backup, they're doing that for us on a 320 gig external drive. Which is neat, I've never owned an external drive before.

If they can fix it, I might have them add memory too, it was woefully insufficient.

Good luck with it!

More memory is always good.