The Birth of a Movement

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, on this very website, I jokingly came up with some ideas for a new political party. The more I thought of these ideas, the clearer they became. I began talking about them to some friends, who became enthusiastic. Last year, I decided to begin steps to make these ideas a reality. Despite, my impossibly busy schedule, I've decided that it's time to move forward. Within the next couple of months we will file our paperwork with the state (of New Jersey), and the fed., create our website, and schedule our convention. I give you,then, the Radical Moderate Party:

The Radical Moderate Party
Chairperson –Diana Hignutt
Treasurer-Laura Glessner

Radical: Marking a departure from the current stagnation and corruption of the two major political parties. The operating motive of the party is to return our political system to one which represents the People.

Moderate: Holding centrist opinions, and a drive towards consensus-building, the party seeks to end the polarization of ideas from the right and the left and find solutions to the problems that face us.

The Radical Moderate Party is the one party designed, through the use of internal rules, to clean up the political mess of our government, and return power to its rightful place, the hands of the people. Radical Moderates believe that we can achieve this goal simply by installing structures within the party bylaws that limit potential abuses of power and the influence of non-citizen entities, such as special interest groups and corporations.

1) While anyone may join the party, attorneys may not run for legislative or executive elective office as Radical Moderates, as we consider this a significant conflict of interest.

2) The Radical Moderate Party represents only the citizenry; no Radical Moderate may treat with or accept gifts from lobbyists, special interest groups, or corporations.

3) Radical Moderate candidates for elective office/elective office holders will release their personal financial data annually.

4) Internal Audits and Investigations shall be performed by the party on all elective office holders.

5) Though Radical Moderates will tend toward centrist positions, no party platform will limit candidates or office holders, thereby allowing a free flow of ideas within the party, and limiting party control over candidates or office holders.

6) The Party, and its candidates for public office, will only accept contributions from individual citizens, with stated limits on contributions.

7) No Party elective office holder will take or hold more than one office or public sector position.

8) No Party elective office holder will accept a pension, exceptions being made for judgeships, or the offices of Governor, Lt. Governor, President, or VicePreisdent.

So, what do you good folks at AW think about this. Am I completely crazy?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I like the restrictions on your party.

#6 may very well kill your ability to ever, ever win an election. Even Local and State level politics need money, and at those levels -- which is where you'll have to start, out of necessity -- you'll find that most of the population is not very interested in what goes on. :-/

I'm very interested, though. If you feel so inclined, PM me with more information.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Let see how long it takes to be buried under the Republicans and Democrats next to the Liberty Party, the Green Party and above the Antimasonery Party

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, number 6 sounds good but will probably seriously screw you.

Number 8 is a little vague; can RM's who are retired and living on a pension run for office as a RM?

It's definitely an interesting party. :)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Radical is a name that would kill it. Extreme would be ok, because it has an X in it although some might confuse it with skateboarding. However, the name also should be only one word, otherwise it's a description and not a name. Too many names confuse people.

Centrist
Moderate
Vertex (has both an X and a V!, although a Z might be better)

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the restrictions on your party.

#6 may very well kill your ability to ever, ever win an election. Even Local and State level politics need money, and at those levels -- which is where you'll have to start, out of necessity -- you'll find that most of the population is not very interested in what goes on. :-/

Bart, let me assure you that in NJ, with our highest in the country taxes, the people are starting to become interested in what goes on in government. Whether it will be interested enough, remains the question.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Number 8 is a little vague; can RM's who are retired and living on a pension run for office as a RM?

:)

Sure, but they can't accept a government pension for any office held as an RM.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, let's say a RM retired from the US Senate after 30 years in office- why can't they collect a pension?

Because RM's don't believe that politics should be a career. It should be a noble duty, a responsibility of a citizen, not a lifetime pass to bilk the people.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first two, which define the party focus, and the next two with a requirement for accountability. You'll need to modify #5 to get me onboard. :)

5) Though Radical Moderates will tend toward centrist positions, no party platform other than adherence to the Constitution will limit candidates or office holders, thereby allowing a free flow of ideas within the party, and limiting party control over candidates or office holders.

The Constitution is the current 'law of the land' and until it's amended or replaced, it should control.

Six will make for an uphill battle, but is also the only chance it has of staying on goal.

Should number 7 include the phrase 'at the same time' or is it a self-imposed term limit and career restriction? Read with number 8, I get the impression that candidates should plan on a single term in office at some level, then return to the private sector.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first two, which define the party focus, and the next two with a requirement for accountability. You'll need to modify #5 to get me onboard. :)

5) Though Radical Moderates will tend toward centrist positions, no party platform other than adherence to the Constitution will limit candidates or office holders, thereby allowing a free flow of ideas within the party, and limiting party control over candidates or office holders.

The Constitution is the current 'law of the land' and until it's amended or replaced, it should control.

Six will make for an uphill battle, but is also the only chance it has of staying on goal.

Should number 7 include the phrase 'at the same time' or is it a self-imposed term limit and career restriction? Read with number 8, I get the impression that candidates should plan on a single term in office at some level, then return to the private sector.

Don,

I like your additional wording on #5. And, also the 'at the same time' on 7 is the intent. #8 is still being debated, especially in regards to term limits. Those are the sorts of things that need to be debated within the party.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
As for term limits, I'd like to see all elected positions restricted to a single term. A 'career' politican would be one who survived the cut each election, and managed to move up to a relatively rarer position.

A city councilman might run for mayor, then state senate, then for governor, US rep, Senator, Vice, and finally Prez, as one example of the path. At each level, he's competing against others who have held comparable positions to get their name known. It's sort of like playoffs, and maybe we'd end up with real winners at the top. :)

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I vote we just form a new country. I hear Tonga isn't very well defended.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As for term limits, I'd like to see all elected positions restricted to a single term. A 'career' politican would be one who survived the cut each election, and managed to move up to a relatively rarer position.

A city councilman might run for mayor, then state senate, then for governor, US rep, Senator, Vice, and finally Prez, as one example of the path. At each level, he's competing against others who have held comparable positions to get their name known. It's sort of like playoffs, and maybe we'd end up with real winners at the top. :)

Brilliant, sir! Just, brilliant.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Because RM's don't believe that politics should be a career. It should be a noble duty, a responsibility of a citizen, not a lifetime pass to bilk the people.

But don't you invite corruption that way? I mean, let's say I get elected for 30 years in the Senate but I know that I will won't get paid any sort of pension other than what I scrap together while I'm in office that seems like an incentive to deal out the back door, cash only. Since there is no institutional pension, I need to look out for myself.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But don't you invite corruption that way? I mean, let's say I get elected for 30 years in the Senate but I know that I will won't get paid any sort of pension other than what I scrap together while I'm in office that seems like an incentive to deal out the back door, cash only. Since there is no institutional pension, I need to look out for myself.

Not with term limits in place, no, I don't think there's an invitation to corruption. I think a politican who was looking for a little extra and a pension would probably run under some other party.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've got some paperwork to file to formally create the party, but welcome aboard. We'll be needing to get a website built, and such, and then we figure out a way to get everyone together--at first, perhaps we could do it right from this thread--at least those AWers who are interested. All that stuff needs to be figured out. But, it can be done. And anyone who agrees that something needs to be done is welcome.

Also, regarding pensions. We had a couple of questions regarding pensions and why I find the concept of pensions for elected officials to be a problem. The first reason, I've already addressed--we don't want career politicians, unless, as Don suggested they move on to higher (presumably) offices by virtue of their ability. The second is that government debt beyond the span of the generation that utilizes the debt, is IMHO morally wrong. Such debt places undo obligation upon subsequent generations, essentially holding them in bondage to their forefathers spending.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of emphasizing politics as a moral duty rather than a career.

Here's the problem...how do you beat sleaze bags who cheat, take money from other places, and then beat you about the head with the money?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of emphasizing politics as a moral duty rather than a career.

Here's the problem...how do you beat sleaze bags who cheat, take money from other places, and then beat you about the head with the money?

That's easy: Find a way to get the People on your side. After all, it's really their money that you're being beaten about the head with. Remind them of that.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, one of my friends wants to joint too. Get a website up so I can pimp it in class!

Well, right now we're working hard to get my publishing company's website up, but right after that...