Baked Beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
for cinnamon flavor in hot chocolate, I usually add cinnamon schnapps. :)
(of course, not for the stuff the kids drink)

Oh, I don't drink (anymore).

Have you ever tried chili powder or an ever-so-small pinch of cayenne? Supposedly it's quite good.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
You're a bit too interested in what other people do with their beans, Pete. Five bucks.:ROFL:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a cook, so I usually do the canned kind, but add to it a little bit of bacon and molasses. I also like potato chips with my baked beans.

And, the only thing to drink with this is sweet iced tea.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The one thing that doesn't work with baked beans is curry powder. Honestly, I thought I could get away with adding curry to anything....but no. Urk.

A little burbon does not hurt, though. Very little, just for flavor. Most of it burns off in the cooking anyway.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like baked beans.

I think I just figured that out. Or at least, this is the first time I've articulated my feelings on the subject into words.

I mean, I've been buying my own groceries for 11 years now and I've never purchased them. It's never even crossed my mind. I haven't even walked down the baked beans aisle. (Is there a baked bean aisle?) (see, I don't even know.)

And in BBQ type restaurants where they're offered as a side dish, I've never ordered them. In fact, my brain edits them out of the list: "French Fries, Mashed Potatoes, Potato Salad, *******, or chips?"

I don't really dislike them, though. Let's get that out there. I have enjoyed eating them, I'm fairly confident of that. I couldn't give a date on which such an event occured, but it probably has.

It's like this: If they're "what's for dinner", I'll eat and enjoy them. But I would never choose them over any other given side dish.

I kinda feel the same way about Led Zepplin.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My wife wants to avoid me tonight. Lawks, should you light a match in my office tonight....!

(in case you all wanted to know that)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
These are the best... and the recipe came from - of all people - my brother:

Cut 3 or 4 slices thick, hickory smoked bacon into half-inch pieces. Fry 'til looking good... we want the grease. When crisp, add half of one chopped onion, three cloves minced garlic and some diced green and/or red peppers. Brown all of this and add one tablespoon of dark brown sugar and one tablespoon of wet yellow mustard. Add one can of diced tomatoes or an equivalent amount fresh, chopped tomato. Blend it all in and then add one teaspoon liquid smoke, or to taste.

Let simmer to cook down a little. Then add three cans of Van Camp Pork and Beans. Do not drain. Gently blend.

Heat them up then check for seasoning - adjusting to suit your and/or your family's tastes. Cook down more if desired. Let them cool and put in fridge to use as desired - the flavors meld and develop as they age.

Remember: Do NOT drain the bacon grease! That's why they taste so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.