Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I am glad publish america directed me back to your messae board posts
I thought this part of the post was interesting. Does this mean that the poster contacted PA with questions and was directed by PA to the PAMB without answering the questions? Not that I am surprised by this as PA does as little as they possibly can to help their authors, but since the PAMB is not filled with so many rah rah PA is the greatest thing since sliced bread posters any more, it seems especially nonproductive.

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I am however, with all of you on the FACT that we read our contracts over upon signing, and all of us are now published authors, something we may never have been without the help of publish america.

Being printed by a vanity press is not considered a publishing credit within the professional world of writing.

~brianm~

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Being printed by a vanity press is not considered a publishing credit within the professional world of writing.

But it is the only credit that counts within the little hothouse of the PAMB and among the author's family and friends.

As long as she never leaves those confines and never wants anything more than validation - such as royalties - she should be OK.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I hope she reads the beginning of that PAMB thread and checks out the website of the person who started the thread. Then she might come across this.

Little did she know when she started that thread on the PAMB that she would one day be labeled a "basher" herself because she now warns writers about PA.

You will be 'technically published', but your books will be full of errors and over priced. Your stories that you once loved and were so excited about, will suddenly have no joy for you. Their spirits and yours will be murdered by PublishAmerica. You know its bad when you dont even want a free copy of your own book. So please, take my word and trust me when I say to stay as far away from PublishAmerica as possible.

Happy to see she has not given up on her writing.

~brianm~

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Well, one of the few remaining loyalists produced the line about bashers wanting to have made a million dollars from their first book and the new author is now happy.

Some people ask questions on the PAMB because they want the truth. Some people ask questions because they want to be reassured that they made the right decision. Only the latter get what they want.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Sigh . . . out of curiousity I clicked through to the PAMBer who was directed back to the message boards and is relieved about PA.

I went to this writer's blog and it is bittersweet. She was given contracts for five books at once, most were not even finished. Go down the bottom post to read her saga. She was apparently told that the reason there was no editing is that "readers like to have original works."

Her most recent post also indicates she thinks these five books will be available in bookstores.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Sadly, she is the ideal victim for PA: ignorant about how real publishing is supposed to work. She saw nothing unusual in their accepting 5 books at once with only one finished. Believes what they say because they wave the flag and praise Jesus while picking pockets.

She's paying 99.00 a pop to correct her books. But hey, they're NOT a vanity house.

And had my spouse not done the simple courtesy of saving my files--I bet he'd have done so for a stranger--I would NOT have blessed him.

I'd have nailed his sorry arse to the garage door as a warning to other thoughtless morons.

Oh, wait... I DID.

I had to extract his head from his arse FIRST, though.

Dear PA Victim, Go here. Listen to this song. Take it to heart.

Be aware that PA has none of that for you or any other writer.

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Her blog really made me sigh.

Holding the books in my hands and knowing they will be in libraries and book stores and even in the North East Iowa welcome center, located just outside my home town means more to me than I can ever say.

The only book stores they're ever likely to be in are the ones where she places them herself – on consignment.

I was informed that they are submitting this book for nomination of a pulitzer. I think that is very special and means a lot.

PublishAmerica is now hinting to authors that it can be a stepping stone to a Pulitzer Prize?

I was offered to be able to rush these books, and I wanted them out so badly to the public, so I agreed. I did not understand however, when they said once you send your final manuscript in, it had to be complete...no changes.

In fairness to PA, it does actually specify this on their website, although you need to go hunting for it.

When I received the first page proofs, I wasn't too worried, yet, I still didn't understand. Then it dawned on me. They didn't care if there were mistakes.

Oh dear. The terrible moment when reality starts to set in.

I had a melt down. All of what I had dreamed of for years was ruined. What would I do. Finally, they told me I could make the necessary corrections only if I paid 99 a book.

How terrible for her. Still, PA to the rescue – for a fat fee.

I was fired from my job November 16, and that too, was a new experience. I am going to be 44 years old and I never have had that happen before… every book you buy will very simply change mine and my family's life for the better.

I hope she sells plenty. I won't hold my breath.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
I was fired from my job November 16, and that too, was a new experience. I am going to be 44 years old and I never have had that happen before… every book you buy will very simply change mine and my family's life for the better.

That breaks my heart.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
This story (and others) are why being flogged in public is far too good for PA. They know who a lot of their authors are, they know they are not the rich and bored with money to throw away on a Vanity press (thus they find PA, no fee's, ha!)
I am sure PA's answer to this woman would be to put hundreds of her books on a credit card and sell them to make profit and income. She may also get despirite enough to try this.... it's terribly sad.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Thread title: Desperately seeking to be noticed by my publishers...

I have sent this message to PA support, along with many others, but have yet to receive a response - never even get a confirmation email that they have received my msg. So, I'm posting it here. Maybe infocenter can help me out, get someone to contact me.

I couldn't limit to just one topic from the list; aside from author copies, there is book pricing, book sales status, official release date, book signings .

PA, I have sent several emails over the past couple of weeks about all of the above issues, and have yet to receive a response. This is really not very professional on your part. I understand the book publishing business can be hectic/busy...nevertheless, I am one of your authors. If I look good, you look better. I am new, and aside from writing the book and you guys giving it a cover and ISBN, I don't have a really big clue as to anything else. The only info I get is from other authors, and that's fine b/c I want to learn a lot from other authors, but you being my publishers should be more readily available to me (other than giving me a book cover and an ISBN#), which I still have not received any copies yet, which makes it harder for me to try to do anything on my own b/c everybody wants to see a copy of the book that you have yet to provide to me, along with a lot of other info that I have requested. Please contact me ASAP, as these are all very important issues to me. Sad Question

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Sadly, she is the ideal victim for PA: ignorant about how real publishing is supposed to work. She saw nothing unusual in their accepting 5 books at once with only one finished. Believes what they say because they wave the flag and praise Jesus while picking pockets.

She's paying 99.00 a pop to correct her books. But hey, they're NOT a vanity house.

And had my spouse not done the simple courtesy of saving my files--I bet he'd have done so for a stranger--I would NOT have blessed him.

I'd have nailed his sorry arse to the garage door as a warning to other thoughtless morons.

Oh, wait... I DID.

I had to extract his head from his arse FIRST, though.

Her spouse didn't save her files before he started playing freakin' Farmville? She's a doormat in more ways than one. She sounds like the perfect PA victim, willing to look for the positive in any crumbs people throw her way.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Here's another post (ETA : moved to the private forums). What I found really sad is that the author's website has a page called "How cool is this?" where she posts a copy of her $1.00 check and the letter saying that it's a symbol that PA takes her book seriously.

Hello, I am hoping someone may have answers for me. My book has been out almost a year. I have asked for help in doing book signings when <title> was being released. Never a reply. I was given a release date and come to find out the release date was not correct but was the previous month. I was unable to locate my book in the "On line Bookstore" after many searches I found it in the children's book section.

It's actually a cookbook, and not a children's cookbook either.

After many letters to your offices it was finally changed. I then ordered some books and sent a check to pay for them with a purchase order number. I waited 2 months and the books never arrived. I called and proved that I had ordered the books. That took a week of emailing. The order price was then reduced due to a cost change in the books. I was never sent a refund for the difference.

I'm a bit surprised she'd expect a refund. Did she even receive a royalty check this year?

The initial dollar is pretty much the only time Yog's Law will be obeyed, and that's only to lure the mark in.

Although the books arrived well after the reduction in price. Several months ago I tried to order more books through a special sale. Over that weekend I was unable get through. The number to order had been disconnected. I sent a message and received no response from your company. Then in March I ordered more books.

After so many problems in receiving the first order?

Yet again I still have not received them. If I am having this much trouble, I wonder if potential customers are also?

The poor author. She hasn't yet realized that as far as PA is concerned, there's only one potential customer, and it doesn't matter how much trouble she has, because they've already profited from her.

I would have taken it much better if I was informed my cookbook was awful and you were not publishing my book.

That's a refutation of every loyalist who's argued that PA does a good thing by printing anyone's books and thereby giving them hope and happiness in their product (as opposed to the dream stealers who tell writers that PA isn't a good company for them).

I don't believe a proper response from you is too much to ask.
I am not looking to be rich & famous. I have started a second book. Are you still interested in my product or should we tear up contracts & move on?

If she's willing to buy more, of course PA is interested. And that contract will unfortunately be legal for another six years whether it's torn up or not.

Last edited:

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
For fun, maybe we can write the Author Insult Team response to that note, using their standard paragraphs and favorite phrases.....

How dare you question the great and terrible PA! We gave your book a chance when nobody else would. Who do you think you are, Nora Roberts?
You have clearly not promoted your book hard enough. Your books are available online. You need to work harder at advertising your book. Author, there is work to be done.
Your contract will remain in force. Don't bother sending us any more of your pathetic whinings.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
E-books again

Hi all. Quick question...

How do we get our books into e-book format? I have the ability to create PDF versions of my work, but is this something that PA offers? Or if not, would it be a violation of contract to distribute an e-book ourselves via our own methods?

Um. I don't even know where to start with that one.

If you want to sell your book in electronic form, you either have to find a publisher that does that, or you have to keep the digital rights.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the contract we signed with PA, they've done everything they promised to do. There have been a few bumps along the way, but the bottom line is PA is a legitimate publisher who publishes books without any expense to the author(s). Overall, we are satisfied and if we had to do it over, we'd call on PA again. The marketing part is tough for some of us, but there's information out there and there's no substitute for hard work and dedication.

Isn't that what a publisher is supposed to do?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
the bottom line is PA is a legitimate publisher who publishes books without any expense to the author(s)

And *I* am the queen of the Gypsies! The Gyp-gyp-gyp-gyp-gyp-gyp-gyp-sies!

lucy.jpg