The Great News For Republicans Tonight

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
That's not the point.

With McCain, you KNEW nothing was going to change. There was no question that change was NOT coming in any shape or form.

With Obama, there is the chance.

Even if you think it's a small chance, there's at least the chance.

Chance of change > No hope for change
Well, that's the message the Democrats put over so convincingly, anyway. As for it's truth? Who knows?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
That's not the point.

With McCain, you KNEW nothing was going to change.
I didn't know that. I actually believed something close to the opposite of that.

There was no question that change was NOT coming in any shape or form.
Change you would disagree with /= no change

There's also the chance that it was all talk, and when the burdens of the office are firmly on his shoulders, that the change he promised will be unfeasible.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
WTF!!!

I woke up this morning and checked my gas tank... still on almost empty.
Logged on and checked my mortgage... it hasn't gone down a penny!

I thought Obama was going to take care of all that.

ETA: Just checked my bank balance. Only change left. Now I understand.

I was told over in OP I had to wait for the end of January the fill-up and the mortgage payments to start. Be patient, Don. We've waited this long, we can wait a little longer.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's the message the Democrats put over so convincingly, anyway. As for it's truth? Who knows?

I like how you worded that in such a way as if:

1. I am a Democrat (I'm registered Republican)
2. I did not do any actual research and just listened to MSNBC to arrive at my decision (see my thread history for a much overlooked thread about making an informed decision)

I didn't know that. I actually believed something close to the opposite of that.

Change you would disagree with /= no change

There's also the chance that it was all talk, and when the burdens of the office are firmly on his shoulders, that the change he promised will be unfeasible.

All I had to go on was McCain's record. And his record showed enormous support for Bush policies.

Granted, maybe he'd throw away 8 years of support to chart a new direction, but it sure as hell didn't sound that way in the debates. *shrug*

If you listened to Obama's speech last night, he out and out said that he can't do it alone. ;)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
There would have been change regardless of who was elected. Our current situation demands it. When you get right down to it, domestically there wasn't a hell of a lot of difference between the two candidates. They both proposed broad, sweeping spending programs and didn't come up with a way to pay for them.

*shrug*

To think that McCain would have followed Bush's course blindly is disingenuous to say the least. By the same token, to think that Obama's course is drastically different from the one McCain proposed is equally so.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
All I had to go on was McCain's record. And his record showed enormous support for Bush policies.

Granted, maybe he'd throw away 8 years of support to chart a new direction, but it sure as hell didn't sound that way in the debates. *shrug*
You've got to play the game and win in order to change the rules. As far as getting the message out, McCain did fail at differentiating himself enough without alienating the 3 Bush supporters still out there.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
to think that Obama's course is drastically different from the one McCain proposed is equally so.

Yeah, they just differ drastically on issues such as the War, Health Care, taxes, and foreign relations.

No biggie.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score

2. I did not do any actual research and just listened to MSNBC to arrive at my decision (see my thread history for a much overlooked thread about making an informed decision)

1. I said anything about you or your political affiliation.
2. I said you didn't do any research.

Fact is, you made a positive statement that "With McCain, you KNEW nothing was going to change. There was no question that change was NOT coming in any shape or form." This is a false statement on the face of it because everyone does not know this.

I made two completely truthful statements that 1) the Democrats made a convincing argument that it was true, and 2) we will never know whether it was actually true.

Please don't put words in my mouth that I did not say.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score

1. I said anything about you or your political affiliation.
2. I said you didn't do any research.

Fact is, you made a positive statement that "With McCain, you KNEW nothing was going to change. There was no question that change was NOT coming in any shape or form." This is a false statement on the face of it because everyone does not know this.

I made two completely truthful statements that 1) the Democrats made a convincing argument that it was true, and 2) we will never know whether it was actually true.

Please don't put words in my mouth that I did not say.

Just criticizing the condescending nature of your statement. ;)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather have promises and hope than business as usual, since we know the last 8 years didn't work.

Why are people SO frigging afraid of change anyway? My life has been a constant kaleidoscope of changes, and I've done very well so far, thank you very much.
I am not afraid. I just think the promises are empty or not feasible. Also change for the sake of change isn't necessarily good and hope doesn't mean much when promises are empty or not feasible.

So you would rather hang tight to the status quo rather than hope for change?
What? you would rather cling to hope for change that won't come or won't be what you expected?

More like realistic that change is much easier to talk about than deliver.
What he said.

That's not the point.

With McCain, you KNEW nothing was going to change. There was no question that change was NOT coming in any shape or form.

Chance of change > No hope for change
You can't know what everyone else thinks for knows. Like I said I didn't like McCain much either, but I didn't think he'd be W2.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yeah, they just differ drastically on issues such as the War, Health Care, taxes, and foreign relations.

No biggie.

LMAO! As I said 'domestically' perhaps you should amend your statement. Especially since there are no fundamental differences between the candidates on health care. And as for taxes, well, what Obama promised and what he'll be able to do are vastly different.

Perhaps you should have read both platforms before you commented on them. just sayin'...koolaid may taste good but it's still not good for you.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Children, behave....

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If you listened to Obama's speech last night, he out and out said that he can't do it alone. ;)

*cracks knuckles and adjusts Arby hat*

I just want to say that assuming what people are saying is a dangerous way to conduct a conversation. Roger has said that you've put words in his mouth, for example, James, with your post above.

I think a better approach, folks, would be to ask questions and get clarification before assuming someone has said something. A lot easier to be civil and avoid misunderstandings all the way around that way.

And let's try to take the "you" out of the equation?

All right then, let's get back on track. Don't make me pull this thread over.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What was the original topic?

Oh Yeah, I agree with Billy, I'm not too fussed since I didn't like McCain much either.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
There's proactive change and then there's reactive change. With McCain or Obama, we'd experience reactive change. The question is how they handle it. When we have natural disasters and terrorist attacks in the U.S. and when Russia or North Korea decide to invade another country or civil war engulfs all of Africa or when any one of a million social or economic disasters play out - then we'll see reactive change. Then we'll see what kind of gompers the president has.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's not just the president. It's the people the president enlists and surrounds himself/herself with. And it's also not so much what the President knows, but the kind of reasoned judgment he or she would assert by critical analysis, etc. instead of instinctively placing one hand on the red button and another on the guns.

That's why it'd be interesting to see whom Obama will be picking for key positions such as CoS, Defense Secretary, Treasury Secretary, etc. Because these are the people who will matter. This is not a one man's job, and Obama knows that.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just the president. It's the people the president enlists and surrounds himself/herself with. And it's also not so much what the President knows, but the kind of reasoned judgment he or she would assert by critical analysis, etc. instead of instinctively placing one hand on the red button and another on the guns.

Exactly. And this goes for Bush, Clinton and anyone else who has held office. You cannot blame Bush for all of America's problems and you cannot entirely blame/give credit to Obama for what is to come.

Seriously, I cannot begin to express how weary the Republican vs. Democrat issue makes me. During Bush's last two years, the Repub administration was butting heads with the Dem majority in the House/Senate.

Now that there is a Dem majority all around, I do believe things will change. There is more opportunity for the administration to be agreeable. This violates some of the checks and balances, maybe, and I'm not saying the Dems are going to fix us or run us to the ground, either. But for goodness sake, if they can't do it, I can't stand America pointing fingers anymore because then we will accomplish nothing.

And that's why I voted Obama. I didn't vote for the democrat, or for change or for hope. I cast my vote for unity, and I'm holding my breath for the day America can at least agree to talk to one another.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And that's why I voted Obama. I didn't vote for the democrat, or for change or for hope. I cast my vote for unity, and I'm holding my breath for the day America can at least agree to talk to one another.
Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically.

(Sorry- it's just that your sig fed so well into that statment. :D)