Wish More People Would Do Research ...

newbiewriter

Registered
Reaction score
And realize what a scam Publish America is.

I work for a mid-sized newspaper chain, and several months ago, I got a call from an area woman who said she'd had several poems printed in an anthology, and would I come out to see her?

I agreed to do so, but when I arrived and she showed me the framed copies of her poems which she had purchased from her publisher, I was horrified.

This poor woman obviously had very poor grammar, and while the poems were very sentimential--and I am sure, a hit with her family members--they also were not very good. There were several cases where she used homonyms instead of the correct word.

I couldn't believe that any legitimate publishing house would allow such mistakes, but when she showed me the poetry anthologies her work appeared in, the same mistakes were there. I asked her the name of her "publisher," and she gave me the name of one of PA's imprints.

All I had to do was Google this place, and after fifteen minutes, I was sure this woman was being scammed.

She'd told me that PA was pressing her to write a book of poetry, so I called her back--feeling terribly awkward--and told her what I'd learned about her so-called publisher. I just couldn't point out the numerous editing mistakes, as I was sure she would see it as an attack on her and her writing.

She refused to believe me, telling me she'd not paid any money to them. I pointed out she had purchased the anthologies for somewhere around $50, and asked her if she'd received any author's copies. She had not, but still insisted it was not a vanity press.

Not wanting to get into an argument, I politely ended the call, since I had done all I could in alerting her to a scam. I felt terrible, but I didn't want her to get scammed.

A few weeks later, I received a nasty letter from her, telling me that I had killed her joy in writing, and she didn't think she could write anymore because of me! I had never even critiqued her writing!

This is not the first time I have been called by a "local author" who has self-published through a vanity press, especially as I do a monthly book review in one of our company's weekend special sections.

I understand that some people chose to self-publish for various reasons, and I am always happy to take a look at lulu books or similar, but I won't touch another PA author with a ten-foot pole!

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Oof. Well, hopefully after her shock and anger wears off, she'll be a little more rational and not send PA any of her money.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing worse than someone pointing out your mistakes is the realization that they are correct.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I had something similiar happen to me. I posted a thread about it awhile ago about my neighbor's step-daughter who published with PA. I read the woman's book (borrowed from my neighbor) First it was only a little over a hundred pages long and filled with typos and grammatical problems not to mention cliches and entire chapters that consist of telling and no showing, not to mention an unimaginative plot and characters.

I told my neighbor(after a lot of consideration) about the scam PA is and why. She didn't get it. "Well, it must be ok, they published her."

*sigh* I tried. I feel your pain newbiewriter, I really do.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
...framed copies of her poems which she had purchased from her publisher...

...the anthologies for somewhere around $50...

Are you 100% sure it was PA? That sounds like the International Library of Poetry scam. Their business model is identical to PA's: accept anything, don't charge an overt fee, but make their money by selling the author's work back to the author at inflated prices.

Troo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pantechnicon.net
The messenger is the one who always always always gets SHOT!

And in fact I am getting so sick and tired of getting shot that I'm starting to be of the opinion that if these idiots can't spare 15 minutes of Google time, they deserve to get scammed :rant:

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I work for a mid-sized newspaper chain ...

This is not the first time I have been called by a "local author" who has self-published through a vanity press, especially as I do a monthly book review in one of our company's weekend special sections.

Could you write an article about the "self-publishing" scams that are out there? You might even know an editor at a newspaper who could run it. ;)

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
I understand that some people chose to self-publish for various reasons, and I am always happy to take a look at lulu books or similar, but I won't touch another PA author with a ten-foot pole!

It is my understanding, that PA writers are the most egotistical. In fact, the organization preys off people of this nature.

Anyhow, I cringe when I see a big page write-up in the local papers on some new writer in town who just published their great blockbuster book to be.... and then I see it's vanity press. Yet, even the newspapers doctor it up as though the amateur writer is going to rake in the profits for the next few years and enjoy their fame.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I met an author who was published by PA. He was the boyfriend of my SO's friend, and the whole night all topics were obviously about him and his publishing success. It got rather annoying.

I just bit my tongue and let him live in his bubble. He's going to find out sooner or later that my girlfriend - who isn't a writer - can get a book published through PA, too. Sometimes you've just gotta let things go.

Now that I think about it, I should email him a copy of Atlana Nights.

Last edited:

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
It is my understanding, that PA writers are the most egotistical. In fact, the organization preys off people of this nature.

Anyhow, I cringe when I see a big page write-up in the local papers on some new writer in town who just published their great blockbuster book to be.... and then I see it's vanity press. Yet, even the newspapers doctor it up as though the amateur writer is going to rake in the profits for the next few years and enjoy their fame.

I may be in a minority of one here, but I have a very simple philosophy on getting published - if the gods so favour me. I tell myself that if the work I've done is not good enough for a reputable agent and reputable publisher - be that a small independent, or whatever - then it's not good enough to be in print at all. We all want to see our work in print - it's our lifelong dream. But we do have to be realists too.

I know friends who have vanity published, and the majority of this work is never very good. Hopefully, I'm not so blind as not to see when the pros make judgements based on years of sound experience.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
You can led them to the internet, but it can only make them think differently.