Sen. Wendy Davis Announces Run for Governour

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Could you imagine the reaction of republicans nation-wide of a dem. won the governor race in Texas? It'd be interesting to hear their spin on that. I for one would love to see her win.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I prefer it to "quixotic no-hoper." :)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the morning news did her a favor in clearing up the sloppy and ultimately vulnerable faux-narrative that was being peddled before we get too deep into the race.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis says her support of expanding gun rights in Texas includes allowing people with concealed handgun licenses to openly carry their weapons in public.

The concept is known as "open carry" and it essentially allows license holders to carry a pistol on their hip without having to hide it.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Wendy-Davis-supports-open-carry-law-244005131.html

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Wendy Davis Backs 20-Week Abortion Ban If Women Get 'Deference'

DANIEL STRAUSS – FEBRUARY 12, 2014, 1:06 PM EST

State Sen. Wendy Davis (D) said she would have supported a ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy under certain conditions.

In an interview with the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday Davis, the presumptive Democratic nominee for governor, told the paper's editorial board that she "would line up with most people in Texas who would prefer that that’s not something that happens outside of those two arenas."

"My concern, even in the way the 20-week ban was written in this particular bill, was that it didn’t give enough deference between a woman and her doctor making this difficult decision, and instead tried to legislatively define what it was," Davis told the editorial board.

Prior for running for governor Davis skyrocketed to national attention for an 11-hour filibuster against an anti-abortion bill in the legislature that, among other things, included a 20-week abortion ban. Davis said that ban, which eventually became law, didn't allow enough options for each woman and her doctor.

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/wendy-davis-20-week-abortion-ban-support

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
It's a reasonable statement for her to make, IMO. Fetal viability has always been the key question since Roe v Wade, but the medical understanding of that has changed quite a bit, and Davis acknowledges that in the interview, but what she's asking for is a way to keep the doctor-patient relationship as the primary adjudicator rather than trying to legislate it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably not the worst news to come out of Texas this week...

AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday condemned inflammatory remarks by Ted Nugent that resurfaced when the outspoken rocker this week joined Republican Greg Abbott's gubernatorial campaign.

Nugent was quoted in an interview with Guns.com last month as calling President Barack Obama a "subhuman mongrel." He appeared with Abbott during two campaign stops Tuesday, a decision that Democratic opponent Wendy Davis called "repulsive."

Perry said on CNN's "Situation Room" that Nugent making outrageous comments shouldn't surprise anyone. But he condemned his language about Obama.

"I got a problem calling the president a mongrel. I do have a problem with that," said Perry, who is not running for re-election. "That is an inappropriate thing to say."

Perry spokesman Lucy Nashed told The Associated Press that his comments on the program speak for themselves. She said Perry was not available for an interview.

Abbott this week sidestepped questions about some of Nugent's most divisive comments in the past, including Nugent suggesting that immigrants who aren't in the country legally should be treated like "indentured servants" until they earn citizenship

Why does Abbott even want a babbling idiot like Nugent endorsing him?

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Because apparently a babbling idiot speaks/appeals to their base. So many conclusions can be inferred from that...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because apparently a babbling idiot speaks/appeals to their base. So many conclusions can be inferred from that...

Mine would be that is part of the base Greg Abbott had already locked up.

I'd love to be the reporter that asks Abbott if his favorite Ted Nugent tune is "Yank Me Crank Me," "Girl Scout Cookies" or "My Baby Loves My Butter On Her Grits." Maybe Abbot's going for the Wang Dang Sweet Poontang bloc?

Oh, those Republicans and their "family values."

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
the morning news did her a favor in clearing up the sloppy and ultimately vulnerable faux-narrative that was being peddled before we get too deep into the race.

Yep.

You know, I get the single-issue supporters in her camp. Beyond that, what? She's a typical politician, willing to twist and lie to create an imaginary persona for the purposes of getting and holding power. I don't get the love affair some seem to have with her or why her run for office should automatically be a Good Thing.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i am amused at the spin they are using to justify a campaign manager leaving midstream.

if johanson's role all along was foundational, she would have never taken the mantle of campaign manager, but rather a consultant or some other such nonsense.

the campaign is in shambles and it needs rescuing. i get why they can't say that, but even so...

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have contributed to Davis at least monthly but her campaign's donation appeals via email are aggressive and incessant. Sometimes 5 or 6 in a single day. Fatigue sets in.

Last edited:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this particular Texan recognizes the terrible policies of Abbot, at least. I'll be voting for Davis, for whatever good it does.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
American politics at its finest.....don't vote for a candidate, vote against one.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Them Texans obviously don't recognize an angel sent from heaven to lead the flock to the promised land. :rolleyes:
I think Ms Davis really has her work cut out for her if she wants to convince Texans that she does not intend to work to make them into a version of NY or MA. That is something that huge numbers of Texans will have zero tolerance for. Many of them are the kind of people who, if they wanted to live in a state with the policies of these coastal states, would just pack up and move there. That they don't says something about what they want.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I think Ms Davis really has her work cut out for her if she wants to convince Texans that she does not intend to work to make them into a version of NY or MA. That is something that huge numbers of Texans will have zero tolerance for. Many of them are the kind of people who, if they wanted to live in a state with the policies of these coastal states, would just pack up and move there. That they don't says something about what they want.

I would love to see Texas change in many respects.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Pfft. Who'd possibly want to see Texas have high rates of education, innovation, low divorce rates, good overall health, etc...

Then again, the weather does suck up here sometimes, along with the price of housing, and I'm happy to have Abbott voters stay as far away from MA as possible, so... yeah.

;)

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I would love to see Texas change in many respects.
What would be the most ideal version of Texas for you? What would Texas have to change to make you content to be in Texas?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
More like Austin, less like Tyler. I have relatives in Texas, and narrowly missed having to grow up in Midland. That said, I usually just avoid the state. I wish Davis well, but it's unlikely she'd be an effective governor even if she won. Too much jerrymandering and obstruction.