Delusions of Gender -- Must read for everybody, but especially genderqueers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Hello QUILTBAG,

My previous attempts to open constructive gender dialogue have failed horribly (especially in the erotica subforum), but I'm going to try again with two major differences: a non-fiction recommendation that's primed my debate, and an audience that's interested in gender studies precisely because their personal experiences generally don't fit in the neat binary boxes that Western thinking creates. Disclaimer: I identify as "genderqueer" myself, and find the sort of team mentality between men and women (in general) to be baffling at best and alienating at worst--so of course I'm going to gravitate towards scholarly material that attacks said team mentality. In other words, my opinion is that "Mars/Venus arguments are truly and utterly bullshit."

If nothing else, just check out the book. It's basically my new bible (not that I really had a bible to begin with--shush you). It's called Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine. It's not hard to find on your standard distributors.

Here's one of many points Fine found during her study. Consider it a taste of what you can expect if you pick up the book.

1) Neuroimaging that attempts to justify modern day concepts of "male" and "female" mental characteristics by mapping the brain is spotty at best.

Fine cites a number of studies where men and women had fMRIs and PET scans hooked up to their heads. The studies varied by method, but each had two things in common: They exposed men and women to stimuli, and then mapped how the brain responded to produce a picture of the brain activity. The scientists behind these studies often conclude that specific sections of the brain are responsible for responding to certain stimuli--and that because different patterns emerge in men and women, they must intrinsically respond differently by virtue of their sex.

Fine refutes these studies with two elegant counter-citations. One study replicated the conditions of one of the above studies, where they had a brain hooked up to an fMRI and asked the subject to identify the emotional state of the person in the picture. The brain of the subject lit up, just as the first experiment. The catch? The subject was dead salmon. That's not a euphemism, by the way.

She notes that this "does not mean those areas of the fish brain were related to postmortem piscine empathy, but that the means of interpreting neuroimaging data are not adequate." The statistical models by which those brain pictures from fMRIs are produced are not currently capable of mapping complex brain activity, like identifying emotions.

The second study she cites to challenge "intrinsic sex properties"* is about a comparison of how men and women fare in emotional identification.

*For example: "Men have brains hardwired better for linear thought and visuospacial thinking, whereas women have hardwired brains for empathy and social skills." --Every Neurosexist born in the last 50 years.

They had two individuals, one male and one female, enter a room with an examiner under the pretense of performing an experiment. The examiner "left the room to change the projector's light bulb" for 6 minutes. A hidden camera recorded them while the examiner was gone. 6 minutes later, the examiner re-enters, and informs the subjects that they had just completed the first part of their experiment.

The second part was to watch the replay. They had to note, based off their body language, what emotion they were feeling at particular parts. Then they were asked to watch it again--and identify what the other person was feeling at particular parts. The first list of one person is used to judge the accuracy of the other person's list.

They had two test groups perform this experiment. In the control, women did fare better than the men. But in their experimental group, they informed the subjects that for every correct (that is, matching) answer they got, they would be awarded $2. In the experimental group, men and women scored equally.

This study, and hundreds more cited by Cordelia Fine and explained in entertaining detail, suggest what us genderqueers already know or suspect: The boundaries between men and women aren't so clear. The men are capable of empathizing on equal terms with women. And remember, this is just one study: Fine also approaches the "women in science/math" issue and highlights that women are likewise capable of achieving stereotypically masculine things given non-threatening conditions.

---

Even if I've arrived to Fine's conclusion by different means (and now simply have better evidence to support it), my experience is that a lot of people still cling to the team mentality. But those "differences" that people champion between men and women are largely self-fulfilling prophecies. If you tell women they'll suck at math before they take a math test, then they'll suck. If you tell men they suck at reading emotions before testing their ability to read emotions, they'll suck. Once again, Fine explores the self-fulfilling prophecy with a number of studies as well as good ol' fashioned philosophy.

Parents are actually teaching their children that these things apply universally. And that's a problem. It's taken me nearly two decades to chip away at the masculine stereotypes projected on to me because of my body. It pains me to imagine what it would be like to have disempowering images forced upon me--and that's why I consider feminism to be a moral imperative, not just a "movement." The idea that anyone could be told what they're good or bad at because of their sex fills me with a frothy righteous rage.

What do you think, QUILTBAG? Do you subscribe to inherent gender differences? Or would you rather see what we have in common--that we're all human?

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Most gender stereotypes are total bullshit.

Some are sorta true on average, but are often generalized and applied to everyone to enforce conformity, and that's also bullshit.

Estrogen and testosterone objectively affect certain thought processes. That's not disputable, and since the average levels for the two main sexes are different, the average behavior will be slightly different. However, there's loads of individuals outside the standard hormone range. Not only that, but hormones don't really affect all the things that many people assume they affect.

Generally, I want to see socially constructed restrictive and oppressive gender roles be dismantled as much as possible. And I definitely think the major problem is people socializing their kids into this oppressive roles.

That being said, I'm always just a little wary on this subject. Some people who want sex to be 100% irrelevant when it comes to personality look at binary-identified transsexual people as reinforcing oppressive gender roles and go out of their way to oppress as many of us as possible. A small number of these people have been able to influence legislation regarding us, which has resulted in a lot of hardship and likely quite a few preventable suicides. That's not always the case, but it happens enough that most binary transsexual people are wary of it.

So, overally, yay for dismantling oppressive gender roles, as long as transsexual people aren't treated as the enemy in the process.

EDIT:
"Gender" is such a loaded word now because it implies so much these days. So, to answer your question...

I believe there's inherent difference between the far-male end of the spectrum and the far-female end of the spectrum, but that there's plenty in between. I also believe that the inherent difference is mostly about comfort with our bodies, not social roles. I don't believe there's inherent differences in how men and women think about most things, but I _do_ believe that the average difference in hormones means that the averages do tend to think a little differently on some things. Having been in both the average male and female hormone ranges, I can definitely say there's some difference.

EDIT2:
Seems like this particular author isn't a transphobe, though, and I've always heard good things about her. I just wanted to talk about the general trend and unexpected problems it can have.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are probably some inherent differences, but variation between individuals far outweighs them.

Deleted member 42

Gender is not a substitute for sex.

I may have mentioned that before.

That said, I absolutely believe that there are linguistic cues for native speakers regarding an individual's own perceptions of gender.

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
On the self-fulfilling prophecies and that parents teach their children them as proof - OMG YES.

We wanted to know as early as possible if my baby is male or female so we could name him and start calling him by his name instead of "it" and "baby". And we told people because we thought... why not?

Why not is because the moment people knew he was male, they started looking for signs that he is a stereotypically masculine little thing and triumphantly announcing to everything he does or I do "it's because he's a boy". I don't feel kicks hard because of the position of the placenta and because, after a missed miscarriage, I am constantly anxiously checking that he is alive, it's because "he's a real little boy, isn't he?" My lifetime preference for strongly flavoured, salty food is somehow now proof that my baby wants big strong things. He doesn't wriggle at loud gunshots when I go to an action movie because loud noises in general make him wriggle; according to my obstetrician it's "because boys always love guns and no matter how hard to try, you can't stop them playing with weapons." No matter that a) how on earth would a foetus know what a gun is? and b) I used to play with plastic guns and swords myself, his wriggles are somehow proof of his powerful masculine traits.

I can't imagine how much projection of masculine traits he's going to be subjected to once he is born when he gets all this obsessive projection of gender traits when he's still in my uterus.

Another example: my wife will buy pretty much anything with a cute owl on it, it's an obsession. My mother became incredibly distressed when she saw that we had a jumpsuit and bib with little pink stripes on it, bought because of the cute owls also on it. It's a newborn suit. The baby won't have a clue what colour it is, let alone what gender stereotyping goes with the colour. He won't know about the owls, either - cute baby clothing is all about adults going aaaaaaw, not about the baby's preferences. He won't be teased by other babies for wearing pink. But Mum was... oh, so genuinely upset that he might be dressed in a way that didn't conform to gender stereotypes.

I'd always been aware, in a vague way, of how much we tell infants about their personality based on whether the baby is in pink with a little frilly headband or wearing a blue bodysuit with a picture of a train on it. I know it gets worse as they get older. I just didn't realise it started before birth.

Rant over. Um, I agree with the OP!

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score

I may have mentioned that before.

That said, I absolutely believe that there are linguistic cues for native speakers regarding an individual's own perceptions of gender.

I used to talk about that, but I've given up because I've seen "gender" used in dozens of incompatible ways and just run out of energy to complain about it. I usually just try to discuss it in relation to however it's used first in the particular conversation.

Deleted member 42

I used to talk about that, but I've given up because I've seen "gender" used in dozens of incompatible ways and just run out of energy to complain about it. I usually just try to discuss it in relation to however it's used first in the particular conversation.

I can't quit. I have an obligation to cry in the wilderness about this stuff from the POV of a language professional, never mind all the other reasons.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Even if I've arrived to Fine's conclusion by different means (and now simply have better evidence to support it), my experience is that a lot of people still cling to the team mentality. But those "differences" that people champion between men and women are largely self-fulfilling prophecies. If you tell women they'll suck at math before they take a math test, then they'll suck. If you tell men they suck at reading emotions before testing their ability to read emotions, they'll suck. Once again, Fine explores the self-fulfilling prophecy with a number of studies as well as good ol' fashioned philosophy.
I think people are what they are, and I don't think any amount of telling people that they're something different is going to change that. It may make them feel bad about what they are or try to deny what they are, but it won't change it.

Deleted member 42

Would you mind elaborating?

In English, for instance, women are culturally encouraged to include hesitations and various sorts of apologies in our speech; we are encouraged to be less assertive and direct than men.

Think about all the linguistic attributes associated with being "ladylike."

This is already noticeable by the time children start speaking in full sentences.

Children also perceive gender roles that early, because those too are culturally inculcated.

This is a matter of gender, not sex.

It isn't hard-wired, it isn't biologically determined, but it's just as much a part of English as the special gender-marking suffixes are in Japanese, and those too are culturally inculcated.

Persons who are transgendered often have unconsciously begun to speak and write as their true gender long before any kind of hormone therapy is even on their internal horizons.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Most gender stereotypes are total bullshit.

Some are sorta true on average, but are often generalized and applied to everyone to enforce conformity, and that's also bullshit.
Yeah, this.

The real problem with any study that shows some difference between the sexes, other than the fact that there's no way to separate social conditioning from genetic predisposition, is that ignorant people interpret generalities as absolutes. As an example, statistics show that obesity rates in Louisiana are much higher than those in New York City. A person in Louisiana is more likely to be overweight. But no-one tries to interpret that as meaning everyone in Louisiana is fat, or that everyone in NYC is thin, because body fat is something that can be objectively measured and seen by even the stupidest person. A study showing that males are more statistically likely to behave aggressively has no more meaning for an individual man than an obesity statistic does for an individual resident of Louisiana. But some people keep insisting on interpreting gender studies as applying to everyone, despite the obvious illogic of it. And, of course, it's much harder to prove your personality to everyone than to prove your waist size.

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
Gender is not something you can identify by looking at it. Sex, sure, there are identifying markers, but gender, by it's nature is fluid. I know what I was born, I know what I am now. No one can tell me what I feel is wrong, although many try. Not science, not religion, not some asshat on the net.

theelfchild

Thinking up something clever
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this.

The real problem with any study that shows some difference between the sexes, other than the fact that there's no way to separate social conditioning from genetic predisposition, is that ignorant people interpret generalities as absolutes. As an example, statistics show that obesity rates in Louisiana are much higher than those in New York City. A person in Louisiana is more likely to be overweight. But no-one tries to interpret that as meaning everyone in Louisiana is fat, or that everyone in NYC is thin, because body fat is something that can be objectively measured and seen by even the stupidest person. A study showing that males are more statistically likely to behave aggressively has no more meaning for an individual man than an obesity statistic does for an individual resident of Louisiana. But some people keep insisting on interpreting gender studies as applying to everyone, despite the obvious illogic of it. And, of course, it's much harder to prove your personality to everyone than to prove your waist size.

^This. When I took Psychology of Gender in university the course started with the caveat "the differences that are there are minuscule and for the most part are difficult to pin to either social or biological causes" then went on for the whole textbook about research showing the differences in such a light that it made them seem to be absolutes. Not what I was hoping to get from that course.

The research in this direction is incredibly complicated, like most psychology, because any subject comes pre-programmed in some way and you can't separate the causes of behaviour. I am inclined to think that much of what we call gender is social conditioning, though, simply because you can't even take one trait and generalize it across all cultures as being 'female' or 'male'. The role of biology seems to be greatly exaggerated. I also, in general, believe that binaries are an incredibly limited way of viewing the world - you automatically want to sort a behaviour into a gender, like french nouns, instead of just saying it's 'human'.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I can't quit. I have an obligation to cry in the wilderness about this stuff from the POV of a language professional, never mind all the other reasons.

I understand. Personally, if I had omnipotence, the language would shift thusly:

===============
Gender: Related to whether a word has "le" or "la" in front of it in French, or pronouns, or the like.

Sex: Fun stuff you do in bed or wherever!

[New Words]: Everything else, with distinct and not-confused words for each.
===============

Also, I think it's _REALLY_ unfortunate that the trans community latched on to the word "gender identity" to describe "sex identity." I mean, the term "gender identity" currently usually refers to whether someone thinks of themselves as male or female, which is pretty dumb, since those are sexes, not genders. If anything, "gender identity" should cover things like "masculine/feminine/androgynous" and "butch/femme" and that sort of thing. But no, geniuses that we are, the trans community latched onto a word (gender) that had already been established as being about something totally different than what we use it for.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I think there is a very fluid spectrum and I am somewhere in the middle in my mind. . . with a ridiculously feminine body on the outside.

I wanted to wear my brother's clothes as a kid and stuff, and tried being a tomboy until that ridiculously feminine body got in the way of my plans! So eventually I decided just to try to roll with it but I am not comfortable wearing dresses, low-cut shirts, makeup, etc. etc. I like T-shirts and jeans! Sometimes guy clothes, sometimes girl! I have long hair on one side and a shaved head on the other and I think it represents my personality completely.

Well, but I'm not bisexual, I am competely lesbian. So there again, more proof that there are so many different options for people, and they should all be accepted.

I was one of those girls who got told by their father that they would be bad at math. One report card in high school I got all A's except for my math class. . . which was a D. But as I grew older and started throwing off all manner of brainwashing, I got a B+ in a college math class. . . it would have been an A but I got points deducted for skipping a few lol.

I bet this book would be interesting . . . but like everything in life, I will probably never use only one resource to define what I believe. I want to read more about being genderqueer and it's something I don't usually talk about to anyone. But I think the majority of people don't fall into those stereotypes, if only we could stop being brainwashed and just be who we are!

Deleted member 42

I understand. Personally, if I had omnipotence, the language would shift thusly:

===============
Gender: Related to whether a word has "le" or "la" in front of it in French, or pronouns, or the like.

Sex: Fun stuff you do in bed or wherever!

Here's the thing that causes me so much frustration.

That's not a shift; it was the primary definition for gender in dictionaries until very recently, when it's started to equate sex and gender.

Gender was a linguistic and socio-cultural concept.

Now, it's getting linked in odd ways with sex, and treated as a true synonym. Gender is adjectival; sex is nominal.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In English, for instance, women are culturally encouraged to include hesitations and various sorts of apologies in our speech; we are encouraged to be less assertive and direct than men.

My first thought was "oh, so they're like all Japanese people." :tongue

My second thought was that I think I tend to talk something like that, too.

Think about all the linguistic attributes associated with being "ladylike."

This is already noticeable by the time children start speaking in full sentences.

It's a little difficult for me as an Aspie, as I already approach language in a slightly different way than neurotypical people do, probably, so that's why I asked.

Children also perceive gender roles that early, because those too are culturally inculcated.

This is a matter of gender, not sex.

It isn't hard-wired, it isn't biologically determined, but it's just as much a part of English as the special gender-marking suffixes are in Japanese, and those too are culturally inculcated.

I love Japanese because of stuff like that. The gender-marking stuff is more structured. I'm oversimplifying, but it's easier to just say あたし instead of ぼく.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Do those of you with kids consciously try to avoid gender roles? Is it harder for boys? I have a son and I try not to force stereotypes on him in spite of the fact that a few relatives are afraid we'll turn him gay. He likes trains, Mickey Mouse, and also likes to play with dolls and pretend he is helping me clean. I would say he doesn't act stereotypically boy, and this could be his age because he is only 2. I know many parents, including relatives, who tell their sons "don't play with that doll, it's for girls; this is for girls, that is for boys bla bla" and we don't do that. I have seen boys only 4 years old that act stereotypically male and I think it has A LOT to do with their upbringing (I was at a child's birthday party and there were some small town farmer's kids there. My son tried to hug a boy and the boy frantically backed away, looking around in panic. Where did that boy learn that?)

But I also want my son to be able to defend himself against people who might give him a hard time for whatever reason, so I think when he gets older he will be enrolled in some karate or something! It's a crazy world.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score

Nor is Fine suggesting otherwise.

What she is suggesting is that the effect of gender socialization is the driving force behind the perceived sex differences, and she supports this with a good 200 page essay explaining how and why.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do those of you with kids consciously try to avoid gender roles? Is it harder for boys? I have a son and I try not to force stereotypes on him in spite of the fact that a few relatives are afraid we'll turn him gay. He likes trains, Mickey Mouse, and also likes to play with dolls and pretend he is helping me clean. I would say he doesn't act stereotypically boy, and this could be his age because he is only 2. I know many parents, including relatives, who tell their sons "don't play with that doll, it's for girls; this is for girls, that is for boys bla bla" and we don't do that. I have seen boys only 4 years old that act stereotypically male and I think it has A LOT to do with their upbringing (I was at a child's birthday party and there were some small town farmer's kids there. My son tried to hug a boy and the boy frantically backed away, looking around in panic. Where did that boy learn that?)

I'm not quite sure how to compare whether it's harder for boys or girls...but it's fair (and...unhelpfully obvious) to say that there is a lot of pressure to enforce what is thought of as masculine behavior.

I have this cousin-of-a-cousin. I haven't seen most of my extended family in a while, so this was some time ago, but I recall this moment when he was about five. We were all at a big family gathering. He pulled out his mother's pantyhose and started pulling them on, and proclaimed something like "I'm wearing mommy's tights and then I'm wearing her shoes!" His mother had a fit and yelled at him about how he was not a girl and he was a boy dammit until he took off the pantyhose and "put" her shoes away (he whipped them at the closet, understandably pissed off). He's grown up to be a pretty angry kid, from what I understand...

Although, to be fair, there are lots of potential reasons for that.

But I also want my son to be able to defend himself against people who might give him a hard time for whatever reason, so I think when he gets older he will be enrolled in some karate or something! It's a crazy world.
Meh, I'd go with Krav Maga, Muay Thai, or BJJ then...:D

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
I want my son to be whoever he is. That might be super blokey and macho like his Grandad or declaring rose pink as his signature colour at 16 like his uncle or anything else. I just want it to be what he chooses, not what is imposed on him. (And to be kind.) So he will have baby dolls and also train sets. And lots of Pokemon. I just am afraid that other people might to try to overcompensate for him being in a lesbian family and crush out any behaviour they suspect is non gender normative.

A social worker once told us we couldn't have a son because "who would take him to the park and teach him to change plugs?"

With Medievalist all the way on sex vs gender, btw. It's one of my own pet annoyances.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I take it to mean electrical plugs on appliances. Though most come in sealed units these days...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I take it to mean electrical plugs on appliances. Though most come in sealed units these days...

Don't you just pull it out of the wall socket...?

If it's anything more complicated than that, I was never taught either. *shrug*

My mother was the handy one around the house anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.