don't quit your day job

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Year Twelve (eleventh grade). I want to study science at university, but I don't know what course specifically, yet.

erinjsteele

Registered
Reaction score
I work with high school students via an organization called Young Life. I get to spend time loving on kids and I get paid for it. #winning

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a mom of two elementary-age kids. I have certifications as a doula, a childbirth educator, and an optician. I've stayed home with my kids for years, but I'm thinking of getting an optician job soon. I really worry about it taking time away from my writing, though.

lmoses2011

Registered
Reaction score
I work at a bank...I recently got promoted to a sales position, so more money, but it is less fun and I miss all my friends at my old branch. I'm dreaming of the day when I can make enough money from my writing to tell these people to "kick rocks"

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is so interesting! I love reading what all of you do when you're not writing.

I just graduated from college a few weeks ago so my "day job" won't be starting until mid-April, but I'm really excited about it. I'm going to be an AmeriCorps VISTA, working in association with the VA to develop a mentoring program for veterans who are just being released from custody.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a mum. 3 kids.

I don't really feel like a mum though, I feel like a writer who's gone undercover as a mum for research purposes.

In another life I was a university lecturer.

LynKay

Hanging out through Space and Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marilynalmodovar.blogspot.com
I'm a full time writer/mummy of two. Previous incarnations include Spanish Instructor (for years 3,4,5 and 6) in England, Copy writer for annoying phone messages, Theater actress and Translator.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an RN - worked in hospice, ICU, recovery room and currently clinical documentation (chart review - I help the providers use the correct terminology so my hospital gets paid).

Last edited:

Brishen

It was meee! I was the turkey!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a coffee roaster. I adore my work and see myself doing it for a very long time. Because the chance of my ever following a novel to completion is pretty slim, I'll probably never have to choose between writing and coffee. ;) But it's fun to do both.

thehundreds

Registered
Reaction score
Student. Thinking about taking the plunge for an MFA, probably teach during that time.

Could be fun.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a coffee roaster. I adore my work and see myself doing it for a very long time. Because the chance of my ever following a novel to completion is pretty slim, I'll probably never have to choose between writing and coffee. ;) But it's fun to do both.

Ha! This sounds like so much fun!

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Gonna talk about myself because that is awesome.

I'm a student! Pre-med hoping to go into epi. But my day job is to occasionally work at boring data-entry stuff. :(

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a college sophomore studying political science, economics, and environmental studies. I'd love to work as a journalist or elementary/middle school teacher. :]

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Full-time undergraduate student studying Japanese. I'm very interested into going into translation or publishing, though.

suestrong315

Registered
Reaction score
full time stay-at-home-mom of my 3 year old son...I do some clerical work for my uncle and donate a patch of skin on my arm to cosmetic testing...just finished up facial creams, and there's no animals involved :)

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
fun thread :D

I'm an animation generalist, so I draw lots of things. It's my dream job - writing is my back-up dream job. So if that doesn't pan out 1/2 ain't bad!

Cjiadon

Registered
Reaction score
Im a graduate with a degree in Asian Languages and Literature with an emphasis in Japanese. My day job is compeltly unrelated. I work in a medical office doing reports and billing. Its one of those "okay for now" jobs. My dream is to get into translation but its a constabt struggle.

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a dog groomer! :)

I have three dogs... teach me!! ;)

I used to work in customer service (answering phones) but that was soul sucking work that will make you hate everything, including puppies and rainbows. I left to write and my husband supports us. I'm a lot happier now, even though we halved our income. :)