Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
CHEERLEADER.

For the shit that is my short story... due on Monday along with an essay on my writing process of both of them.

FML.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Plus, I'm using Open Office on this laptop and I can't remember how to keep track of word count.

Also, I love/envy your chapter lists.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
They're so organised yet vague enough.

And there's not an endless amount of chapters!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Well, theoretically. This chapter of Sherlockettes was supposed to be 6k. It's at 4.2k and is just beginning.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Lisa, I'm gonna give you some tough love here.

The first thing you need to know about writing is that there is no formula to writing a novel. It's not a science - you can't take x and y and come out with a book. The only ingredient - the only really important ingredient - is the ability to write and the discipline to do it.

Everyone here writes differently. I like having set outlines. Para likes having detailed spreadsheets. BG likes having a general plot and such but leaving room for spur of the moment ideas and changes. Ally writes very fast. Ari usually writes stand-alones. And so on and so forth. Everyone has their thing, what makes them tick, what works for them. The only thing we all do the same is write.

But that's all we need, as long as we're writing. I have used so many different types of outline and plotting devices, you don't even know. I have used spreadsheets and cue cards and written twenty page synopses and not plotted at all and written chapter lists and timelines and done everything under the sun. I can't vouch for the others, but there is not a set procedure I follow to write a novel. I sometimes make playlists and sometimes don't, I sometimes plan a word count and sometimes don't, I sometimes write character profiles and sometimes don't. I research and worldbuild and dance around my room imagining being a famous author and you know what?

None of those things have landed me with a novel.

The only thing that has - the only thing that ever has and ever will, for everyone and anyone, no matter their genre or length or outlines or desires - is sitting down and writing.

There's a reason this website is called 'Absolute Write'. :tongue

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAH! I like how i got "writes very fast" in that! Yeah i do but agree with what Tally said.

I tired index cards, plotting, not plotting, but when it comes down to it, its not the plotting that's important (although it can be important), its the sitting down(or standing) and writing. Which I do alot of. Hence why i have no life.

My fastest book to date was written in 12 days, without any planning, because i had a story dying to get out of me because writing is the one stress reliever I have. And I'm stressed ALOT.

And on a good note i was just prescribed by a Dr. to write! HAHAHAHAH! I kid you not. I told my Dr. about how stressed i was and how i felt sick and everything, she was like "What do you normally do to relieve stress?" I told her write, and she told me "Well i'm prescribing you to write, write as much as you want and can"

If only i could actually figure out something to write now. hehehe.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
PIANO EXAMS WILL BE THE END OF ME.

I wish my piano teacher would allow e to switch songs. But no. She thinks I can do them, but the thing is...

I CAN'T.

Now, let me go weep in the corner out of my frustration and then smash the piano to bits.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I KNOW!!!

I was like "Are you serious?" because naturally I just cant believe those words left her mouth.

She responds "Yes, your way to stressed, see your just shifting your stress to other area's of your life, parts you shouldn't even be stressed about! That's not good, so do the one thing that de-stresses you, write."

So then i'm like "But school..."

"See your stressing again, so go write."

I wasn't going to argue with her. So after I'm done my powerpoint i'm going to write!!! And apparently my stressing is also the reason why i cant write. At least that's what i'm putting together. She thinks I over worry and stress and i already knew that, but she brought up a good point, I'm almost constantly stressed, and when school is calm i end up stressing about something else that I have no reason to stress about. Like writing for example. That's my problem. I'm stressing for no reason.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Taylor, I feel you. Piano exams suck.

By the way, I hate that I'm being pushy, but... could you tell me anything you thought about MAAH? (specific) Like, even one thing? You said you loved it and I was SO EXCITED and now I am DYING to hear what you have to say. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So i'm finished my powerpoint. Would any non-science people like to see it and tell me if the layout, would attract them even though the material itself is probably confusing and boring as hell? I added lots of really neat picture!

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Tally, you don't have anything wrong with the pacing. I read it all in practically one sitting (except for the beginning of chapter one). Sorry, that's not the best :( now is not a good moment.

I'm under so much stress right now. I missed loads of school, which does help with the fact my paino teacher has cancelled so many classes and it's put me behind. I have a little over a month until the exams and I barely know my songs...

And this has happened every year. The past two years, she's had two babies and that has caused so many cancellations, so I was put behind too, and now she's having another one this fall. So, this will happen ALL OVER AGAIN.

I love piano. But this is driving me. I don't want to sit down to a piano anymore, it seems. It's got me in tears :(

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
HR, I'm going to start Percy Jackson either tonight or tomorrow, depending on what happens. :)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Taylor, I'm sorry *hug*

Go distract yourself for a half hour. Listen to some TOTALLY DIFFERENT music, eat some chocolate, watch a really funny show (Big Bang Theory always works for me, or Friends). After that half hour, go back to the piano. I guarantee you'll feel better.