New to writers' forums...

JMercedesD

Our Angels are Different
Registered
Reaction score
...though not to forums in general. :) Despite this, I find myself strangely nervous about this introduction. After all, unlike with fandom-based forums, I've signed up to this one for professional reasons!

I'm Mercedes, or Merc if you're feeling lazy. ;) I've never been published, though that's one of the reasons I'm here!

Currently, my coauthor and I are finishing the final (until official hands touch it) edit on our first novel. We're drafting query letters, making lists of agents/publishers and letting our beta readers comb through it one last time. While all this is going on, I'm jotting down ideas for books two and three of our series, short stories which I might attempt to get published in magazines and many, MANY attempts at letter hooks.

My reading interests include fantasy of almost any type, some light sci-fi, mostly stuff set close to modern times or "science fantasy", and some historical fiction. I don't read nearly enough research material and indulge far too much in the sins of well-written fanfiction. If you don't think the latter exists, read "Embers" by Vathara. Fanfiction author or not, she's an inspiration of mine. :)

Other than that, I'm on the road a lot so I've developed a minor addiction to audio books. These tend to lean more towards YA fantasy than not. I recently finished everything Rick Riordan has out (both Heroes of Olympus and Kane Chronicles) and just started His Dark Materials.

I hope to learn more about the process of finding an agent/publisher, to get a little un-biased reviewing of our letters and, hopefully, of the short stories I have yet to write. If I'm lucky, I might even be able to get my coauthor to join, too!

logan9a

Love the TARDIS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
logansvoyage.blogspot.com
Welcome.

I am also addicted to audio books. In addition to getting a good story, they help drown out the calls of people wanting to sell me stuff.

It seems to be quite a process to get an agent and such so I suspect you're in the right place.

JMercedesD

Our Angels are Different
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I am also addicted to audio books. In addition to getting a good story, they help drown out the calls of people wanting to sell me stuff.

It seems to be quite a process to get an agent and such so I suspect you're in the right place.

I use them to keep me somewhat focused while driving. Letting my creative-brain soak in someone else's story is actually better for keeping me a safe driver when the alternative is letting my mind COMPLETELY drift off on my own stories!

The more reading I do on the subject of getting published, the more daunting it seems. @_@ We've only just started, though, so not giving up yet!

Thank you for the welcomes!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to have you here, Merc. (You guessed right about some of us being lazy typists!)

Maryn, shaking hands

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Carolwm

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

...though not to forums in general. :) Despite this, I find myself strangely nervous about this introduction.

I just joined a few days ago myself and felt the same way. So far, though, I sense everyone is kind, perhaps due to all being in the same boat. This is an ENORMOUS site, by the way, way bigger than others I have been on for other reasons. Enjoy exploring. I have.

JMercedesD

Our Angels are Different
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I have to say, this is more of a response than I'm used to seeing in boards! :D

...though not to forums in general. :) Despite this, I find myself strangely nervous about this introduction.

I just joined a few days ago myself and felt the same way. So far, though, I sense everyone is kind, perhaps due to all being in the same boat. This is an ENORMOUS site, by the way, way bigger than others I have been on for other reasons. Enjoy exploring. I have.

Agreed, it is HUGE. o_O I've been exploring some of the "must read" threads in the Publishing sections and have gotten so caught up reading that even the idea of posting isn't all that important.

Not that I won't, eventually, but, well... so much information!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write, Mercedes.

Agreed, it is HUGE. o_O I've been exploring some of the "must read" threads in the Publishing sections and have gotten so caught up reading that even the idea of posting isn't all that important.

Not that I won't, eventually, but, well... so much information!

That's not a bad place to be. There is something particularly satisfying about floating around in a sea of information and watching the main themes rise up around you.

It seems big. It is big. Once you find your way around, things mostly sort themselves out. I found the "New Posts" link at the central top of the header to be helpful (white writing on the blue strip). You can use it to dip your toes in the water and see what the current main topics of discussion are,and it might be less daunting than tackling entire subforums at once.

Enjoy. Nice to have you here.

JMercedesD

Our Angels are Different
Registered
Reaction score
Pyekett> Thank you and, yes, I agree. ^_^ I would like to eventually start glancing at others' works, but at the moment I'm more interested in facts and details of writing in general.

My coauthor has been reading "how to write" books and such for years and they bored me to tears. Forums like this, though, with discussion and information that is constantly being added to... I can't think of a better format for helping me catch up in the "how to" department. :D