Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I go by Eastern Time. Sorry, that's all yer gonna get

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Awww that's mean :p haha oh well. I just wondered, since you were calling it morning when it's afternoon here :) It's not like i can stalk ya. haha

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I know but im still young. I'm not really worried about you, anyone can access this page

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Morning!

hehehe if you cant tell from my location I'm from Philadelphia PA, in the USA. Frankly i dont care if people know because if someone could find out exactly where i live among the 2 some million people that is some skill! But yeah i'm on Eastern Standard time too!

Morning how are you all doing today?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. Didn't sleep in as much as I would've wanted to

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah i'm at work, so i cant sleep in... but tomorrow i'm off so YAY!!!! And today i officually have enough money for my iPhone! SCORE!!!!

Today has been a good day... shockingly i'm actually dressed up slightly and i'm in a good mood... Wow that double shot of espresso really does work! I feel like i have ADHD right now

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, i gathered where you're from Ally. haha.
I'm doing okay, thanks. I came up with an idea for my next story. Planning, however, is NOT my forte, and so i wonder how well it'll go....
I figured i had to change the first chapter of the one i'm working on though, after asking a question on another thread. I still keep losing words though... i'm like... "HOW?!" haha

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Planning is practically my only skill when it comes to writing. I can't write a decent scene to save my life, but I sure can outline. :tongue

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't believe in planning. Make your characters and their personalities, think of a good beginning ending and juicy middle and your done. Write the first few pages and let the characters choose what they wanna do

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't believe in planning. Make your characters and their personalities, think of a good beginning ending and juicy middle and your done. Write the first few pages and let the characters choose what they wanna do

I like your way of thinking :p :evil

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yay. Someone agrees. Most people just give me a quizzical look. *high fives*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether you "believe" in planning. It works for some writers, not for others. I've written enough novels that I know the value (for me) of a very detailed outline. I very much doubt Harry Potter could have been written without one. Disbelieving that doesn't make it untrue.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
That's true. We're all different. But i find, if i spend time planning, as i've tried before, i end up writing more than i can on the actual story. It's weird. lol

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi para. I'm just wondering how old you are because whenever I talk to you, your wisdom and maturity gives me the impression that your an adult. That's a compliment.
Also, what should I aim for for a word count for a YA mystery and don't just tell me not to aim at a certain word count. 70k ok? More or less?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be 23 in November. I joined the Teens Writing for Teens thread back when I was still a teenager, which you can appreciate was some time ago. :tongue I'm working on my fifth novel and my second degree.

Also, what should I aim for for a word count for a YA mystery and don't just tell me not to aim at a certain word count. 70k ok? More or less?

Ex-agent Colleen Lindsay wrote a classic post on word counts which most people use as their Bible. She suggests that for a YA novel (except paranormal and fantasy, which can run longer) you'd aim for 45k-80k. My experience is that the ones on the shorter end of that wordcount are YA contemporaries, many of which are around 50k. I'd suggest about 60-80k for a YA mystery.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh thanks. I read the article. So I guess 70k seems pretty good because this novel is geared more to older YA readers. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
wow mine go WAY over those... hahahaha.

I never used to plan for books, used to just write down whatever i thought would be awesome to happen next, but as the story lines go more complicated then tied into things with my others books in the series i literally dont have the brainpower to keep going without intensive planning, especually since i write them as though they are real, keeping track of days, weather, and stuff like that for every day in a month from anywhere from 2-3 years back is literally impossible!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, how come stalky doesn't come up as a word in Microsoft word? I know it is one...

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
It's got a def on dictionary.com, merriam webster and the free dictionary. Why not word?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Word is stupid! Oh and did you know Word actually has a limit of how many misspellings and grammer mistakes you can have before they stop tracking them?

Status
Not open for further replies.