What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, and it's really ticking me off. I have too much to do and all I want is to be left alone so I can immerse myself in it. Is that too much to ask!?!? ETA: Oopsy, mistook this thread for a similar one that's not about YA books.

Last edited:

elissamarie

Registered
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to snag an advanced copy of Libba Bray's BEAUTY QUEENS, which is super awesome. I like it so much I'm trying not to read it too fast. :) Then up next I've got Anna Godbersen's Bright Young Things, which I'm excited about because I really liked her Luxe series.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, and it's really ticking me off. I have too much to do and all I want is to be left alone so I can immerse myself in it. Is that too much to ask!?!? ETA: Oopsy, mistook this thread for a similar one that's not about YA books.

I loved this book, couldn't put it down.

Heather3

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading THE PACE by Shelena Short, but I had to download it onto my Kindle because my library didn't have it...neither did my local bookstore.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Forget You. The plot feels a little off, and the main character can be dumb and irritating, but Jennifer Echols' strong point is definitely creating sexual chemistry and tension. Wow. That was the highlight of Going Too Far for me, as well.

She also writes amazing boys. Doug is, in a word, delicious. LOL

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Zoomed through Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann (good god, is it too much to ask to have MORE YA horror like this???) and I'm zipping through Deadly by Julie C . . . something Italian. It's about a girl at the turn of the century New York wanting to learn more about disease. It's a compelling voice that's driving me through right now.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Clockwork Angel as an audiobook. Meh.

My new audiobook isn't YA (it's one of the Dresden Files books).

In YA, I am still reading Demon's Lexicon and now am reading Across the Universe.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Just started TRAPPED by Michael Northrop, which is about a group of kids who are trapped inside their school during a really bad snowstorm, so for me, reading it now while I'm somewhat trapped in my apartment by the bad weather, it's like reading about the sinking of the Titanic while on an Atlantic cruise... I really hope I'm not jinxing myself.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read a lot of YA contemporary, but loved Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I liked all those bubbly young-love emotions.

Full review here

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Being a huge fan of 'boys' books, i am re-reading the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore, and am on book 5, three days into my (not really) epic quest. Absolutely love them, and i really recommend to anyone who loves a good action/teen spy story (they make Alex Rider seem pretty rubbish).

Also just read THE SECRET COUNTESS by Eva Ibbotson. Fantastic read, i love the historical setting and the characters are brilliant, particularly the villain, Muriel (although the FMC is a total Mary Sue).

Next I plan to re-read the YOUNG BOND series by Charlie Higson, including the 5th one which i haven't read yet. Again, all really good (i wouldn't be re-reading them otherwise).

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Gingerbread last night, and I thought it was a decent book.... nothing special though. I'm about to start reading Another Faust. I've got a long line of books to read after that.

LfB

Registered
Reaction score
Picked up Thirteen Reasons Why from the book store. LOVED it! I read the entire novel in one sitting. I don't do that often, but I couldn't put it down.

Just read this. Meant to read only one chapter this morning....ended up finishing the whole thing. I think I'm still mulling over this one (which is definitely good; having a story stay with you after reading is usually a plus imo :D).

Read this (Anna and the French Kiss) last month. It was an instant favorite for me.

Me too, it was a fun story! I'm looking forward to the next in the series!

Before 13 Reasons Why, I read Matched (Allie Condie). I've a huge soft spot for futuristics/dystopians. This is another book I'm still mulling over and will most likely reread soon. Nonetheless, I'm waiting for the next book!

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Finished K4ren Mah0ney's THE 1RON W1TCH. One or two fascinating ideas (clockwork birds and alchemists) squandered on awkward writing and clunky dialogue. There was little resolution to the story with a number of plot threads left dangling. I must be seriously out of touch with the YA market, because this is the second hot property in the last month (after L1sa Desroch3rs' P3RSONAL DEMONS) that left me cold.

angelfrancis

I got this!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I just bought Beach Blondes by Katherine Applegate and Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard today. Very excited! I just finished Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and the next book in the Pretty Little Liars series. Very good!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished K4ren Mah0ney's THE 1RON W1TCH. One or two fascinating ideas (clockwork birds and alchemists) squandered on awkward writing and clunky dialogue. There was little resolution to the story with a number of plot threads left dangling. I must be seriously out of touch with the YA market, because this is the second hot property in the last month (after L1sa Desroch3rs' P3RSONAL DEMONS) that left me cold.

What's with all the numbers instead of letters? So you didn't like Personal Demons? I was thinking of getting that one.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
What's with all the numbers instead of letters? So you didn't like Personal Demons? I was thinking of getting that one.

Sorry - habit! It means that the authors won't stumble over my comments when they Google themselves. It's partly for my benefit and partly for theirs. I'm sure Karen Mah0ney doesn't want my negative review popping up in her Google alerts.

P3RSONAL DEMONS features the heart-meltingly romantic scene where the hero considers raping the heroine, a teenage girl, while she lies unconscious. Swoonworthy. :rolleyes:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry - habit! It means that the authors won't stumble over my comments when they Google themselves. It's partly for my benefit and partly for theirs. I'm sure Karen Mah0ney doesn't want my negative review popping up in her Google alerts.

P3RSONAL DEMONS features the heart-meltingly romantic scene where the hero considers raping the heroine, a teenage girl, while she lies unconscious. Swoonworthy. :rolleyes:

Ah... I never thought of doing that. Very clever. :)

Oy! I didn't realize it was like that. Guess I'll wait for the library to get it.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Started TH3 R3PLACEMENT tonight. I'm loving it so far--there's a definite, Tim Burton-esque feeling to the world. :)

elissamarie

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Clockwork Angel as an audiobook. Meh.

In YA, I am still reading Demon's Lexicon and now am reading Across the Universe.

OOooh I LOVED Across the Universe. Can't wait for the next one already! Course I also loved Clockwork Angel ... :)

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Oh, I was wondering about Th3 R3placement...I'll have to check it out. I love Tim Burton!

I'm reading three books at once right now--all books I can only get on my Kindle:

One is Sw1tched by H0cking (pretty cool concept, more original than I've seen in a while), CAM1LL3 by T3ss Ol1ver (I really am liking this one--Victorian era paranormal, brings to mind some of the old blk & wht horror movies) and HuSh Mon3y by Susan B1sch0ff (this is super unique, and well written, super hero fodder and fun). I grabbed these all for 99 cents, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm super excited how good they are!

I SO want to read Acr0ss the Un1verse! Looks really good!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Going Bovine. So I really liked the premise and all, but it was so terribly long. I found myself skimming through a lot of it.

Will start Radiant Shadows tomorrow.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Going Bovine. So I really liked the premise and all, but it was so terribly long. I found myself skimming through a lot of it.

Will start Radiant Shadows tomorrow.

Hmm, I've been thinking about reading Going Bovine but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I might just get it from the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.