Hey Everyone!

ShannonEckrich

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shannoneckrich.weebly.com
My name is Shannon, and I'm from Delaware. I began writing over two years ago. I had no knowledge of writing a book, my grammar and punctuation was horrible, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I finished my first draft of my novel in three months. And like many other newbies that I've run into over the years, I thought I was done. So not the case.

I rewrote the novel a couple of times, got tons of rejections from agents, and then put the story away and started another one. Finished the second novel, gave it to a couple of friends to read, researched agents and querying while rewriting, and then sent out my letters. I received about ten requests for fulls, a few for partials, and a lot of rejections. In the end, all my fulls and partials were rejected. The only comments I received were "love the premise but not for me" or "I didn't fall in love with the writing". So I started rewriting it again and stopped when someone told me about a writing contest.

I had done a rewrite on my first novel, but the format was all messed up. As I was fixing the story for the contest, I noticed many things I hadn't noticed before. So I began fixing them chapter by chapter. While I was fixing chapters, something magical happened. I had somehow found my voice. I heard agents and other writers talking about this, but I never knew what they meant.

I missed the deadline for the contest, but I decided to query this novel again. I had made some really drastic changes to it, including the title. I queried one agent and one publisher just to see if I would get a response. The publisher I queried asked me for the full within twenty-four hours. I was happy, but I wasn't getting my hopes up yet.

While I waited to hear back from them, I wrote a short story and published it through smashwords. The same day my short story was accepted for premium publishing, I got a rejection from that one agent, and was offered a contract from the publisher who received my full.

It has been a hard long road with many tears shed along the way, but I can finally say I did it.

My novel, Other Side Of Forever is coming soon from Crescent Moon Press! And my short story, After The Rain is available now.

I'm so happy to be here and I can't wait to interact with everyone in the forums!

Best!

Lainey

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome Shannon :) and congrats on your novel.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

CarrieAnn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Shannon! Congrats on your success! :D

C.J.

Gabi Daniels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gabidaniels.com
Hi Shannon, congrats! Not only on your novel getting published , but also for not giving up and finding your voice. Your post is inspiring. Thank you for sharing & I wish you much, MUCH success!!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Figuro

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the cooler,

Wow - the start of your story / experience is pretty much identical to my own. However I've not ventured as far as you have yet - I'm still in the process of my rewrite / edit with very fresh eyes. Amazing how much we learn over time and how we can see it in our own writing. Congratulations on your success and all the best for the second novel..

nikkidj

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Congrats on getting published-- that's huge. Hope you have lots more success in the future.