Multiple Scene Question

bradn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Writers,

I'm working on another scene in which the format is blocking my writing.

Basically a guy is reading a letter, the letter explains certain things that a girl likes, now as he's reading the letter, we see images e.g.

DAVE
(reading)
She's a paleontologist.

IMAGE: Dave stands in his library skimming through book titles, he removes one that reads "Paleontology"

DAVE (V.O.)
She enjoys cooking.

IMAGE: Dave stands behind a stove in his kitchen, reading a cook book...

etc....

How would I properly format something like that, would I have to give each IMAGE a scene title? and what would go first, the scene title then the voice over (connected to the scene)?

Thank you.

Brad

P.s. I had the writing in the middle but for some reason it's all shifted to the left....

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps using a JUMP CUT and then VOICE OVER would give you the images your want in the scence

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
No need to make each location change stand out and hit the reader in the face. I would use an intercut.

Dave reads the letter.

DAVE
She's a paleontologist.

INTERCUT: DAY DREAMS.

Dave stands in his library skimming through book titles, he removes one that reads "Paleontology"

DAVE (V.O.)
She enjoys cooking.

Dave stands behind a stove in his kitchen, reading a cook book...

and then when done just go back to him reading the letter.

My 2 cents.

bradn

Registered
Reaction score
You guys on this forum rock,

Thank you once again for your quick responses.

Take Care

B

bradn

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I meant to ask...

Does the Intercut, basically explain that there are a few image scenes coming up?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I'm getting there slowly.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Oh I meant to ask...

Does the Intercut, basically explain that there are a few image scenes coming up?

Intercut places one (or more) short scenes within another and cuts back and forth without the need to a new slugline each time the location is shifted.

Best example of the intercut is a phone call between two or more people where the scene starts on Bob and then intercuts Suzy on the other end at her house. It just reads better to have Bob pick up the phone and then put an intercut once and then go back and forth between bob and suzy, then to have sluglines for each time the other person is talking.

Even a car chase, where you have a large scene (the chase itself) which is comprised of separate locations that cut back and forth between each other (inside a car, outside, inside the second car, etc...)

Breaking all those into separate scenes would be too many slug lines and would slow the reader down.

Now I personally would only use an intercut if the scene your intercutting into the larger scene is very short, but the important thing is it has to read well and make sense. Make your action clear that it is in another location when ever possible.

Make sense?

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd compromise between the intercut thing and the sluglines as follows:

DAVE
(reading)
She's a paleontologist.

IN HIS LIBRARY, Dave skims book titles and removes one that reads "Paleontology"

DAVE (V.O.)
She enjoys cooking.

IN HIS KITCHEN, Dave stands behind the stove, reading a cook book...

That brings attention to the change of location without overdoing it, IMHO. Prodcos like to be able to easily see the necessary locations (or so I've read) so I think you should make them clear.

:)