Does your CP/Beta really help you out that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Of the 13 "beta readers" who agreed at some point or another to critique my first novel, only two were people I'd consider "critique partners" -- people who really challenged me to improve, who forced me to not settle for 'good enough.'

I, too, am a really impatient writer. When inspiration (or opportunity) hits, I'm going to go with it, regardless of which version of the story my betas happened to be looking at. I'm not going to sit around waiting for beta readers, so I love those who can get back to me quickly. Because my WIP is constantly warping and changing, if they take three weeks or three months, chances are, I've already altered that part anyway. Letting people know your expectations really does help ("hey, I'd like to have this section worked through by dd/mm/yy")

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am a really impatient writer. When inspiration (or opportunity) hits, I'm going to go with it, regardless of which version of the story my betas happened to be looking at. I'm not going to sit around waiting for beta readers, so I love those who can get back to me quickly. Because my WIP is constantly warping and changing, if they take three weeks or three months, chances are, I've already altered that part anyway. Letting people know your expectations really does help ("hey, I'd like to have this section worked through by dd/mm/yy")

But why would you send it out to betas while you're still changing it?

Betas are usually the people you send it to when you're like "okay, I can't do anything further with this on my own" or "okay, I think this is done. Let's see if I'm right."

(Critique partners I think are otherwise ;) In-process critiques and stuff, yeah?)

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Betas are usually the people you send it to when you're like "okay, I can't do anything further with this on my own" or "okay, I think this is done. Let's see if I'm right."

(Critique partners I think are otherwise ;) In-process critiques and stuff, yeah?)

This, exactly. Tbh I think it's quite disrespectful to send something to a beta which hasn't been polished to death by you. It's a waste of their time to work on the book while you're still working on it yourself.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score

Substitute "critique partners" for "betas" in the first post, then ;) I tend to send stuff off when I can't think of anything else to change/fix/improve, but it never fails that as soon as I hit "send," inspiration strikes ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm asking because I hear lots of people say they couldn't have done such & such without their CP/Beta. To me, this is downplaying their own hard work. Because no amount of advice & feedback can make you a better writer if you don't put in the work. I've been of the receiving end of such gushing and honestly, I much rather see them work hard & improve on their own then rely on me and tell me how great I am.

Thanking your CP/Beta is like thanking your costars, director, agent, make-up person, your parents and/or spouse and deity when you win an Academy Award. They weren't the ones who did the work to win the award, but without them, you wouldn't have had all the other things that make you focusing on your work happen so perfectly.

And if all you're getting is gushing, then you need different people doing the work. Those are cheerleaders, not CPs or betas.

I'm also asking because I have a hard time finding people who have time to look over my work.

Join the club. No one has an easy time. A good CP/beta is more precious than any treasure and is just as rare to find.

I have two. I've worked with one for over 20 years, and the other more than 10. I found both of them by actively participating in a writer's group (one from an online community like AW, the other in a face-to-face group), and just talking to people, giving honest commentary, being gracious about getting whatever commentary I got, and discovered that I clicked with each of them (and then they clicked together, which was also sweet).

Approaching people and asking them to beta for me has never worked out well. Doing that has actually lead to some really BAD experiences, so I simply don't do it anymore.

Like anything of value, it takes some effort and time to find the right person/people, but a writer needs someone who knows something about stories, can pinpoint problems and be articulate in discussing them with you. (Oh, and can pick up on what the story you want to tell is and help you tell it without inserting the story they'd rather see in the process.) So learn to be patient. It'll help you a great deal (especially with the submission phase of writing).

They say they have time, but I don't want to bother them. (My problem, I know.)

OK, so you're hired to do a job and you have the time to do it, but the boss doesn't want you to bother you to do the job? Yeah, that makes tons of sense. :Wag: Same difference.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Why should I bother? Are people with CPs and Betas really churning out better stories than people without?

Some writers find them invaluable, especially when they first start writing. Some can get along just fine without them. Some writers only use them when they're a little insecure about what they're doing.

I have beta'd or commented on beginning writers, writers with several unpublished novels under their belt, recently published writers, major award (RITA, Hugo, John Campbell) winning writers and New York Times bestsellers (two, actually). Having a good, reliable beta/CP is a tool in a writer's tool box that is very good to have available, even if you don't need it often. Don't discount their overall value because you haven't had a good experience yet.

It's not that. It's because I've been the CP for too many people who think getting my help is enough and that they're going to get better by just absorbing it. And then I read their revisions or next book and it's not much better because they haven't actually tried all that much to improve.

Then they're lazy writers who aren't taking responsibility for their own work. Don't beta for them again. And if they ask why, tell them they're not respecting your contribution by not learning from comments and you're not willing to do the work anymore. No one wants to feel devalued for their time and contribution, after all. It's possible that these writers are of the mindset that they don't have to learn anything because someone else will catch it for them (it's far too common, especially in writers just starting out).

I hear things like this and I'm almost jealous. In my entire life, I swear whenever I've gotten feedback from more than one person, they've all said the same exact things!

Then maybe you should make certain that you're not doing those things before handing your next book off to betas. ;)

Seriously, problems with books are often in layers. Betas will often pick up on the most glaring few things that bothers them (along with tons of typos and niggles) with a story. But once that's cleaned up, there could be other things that were totally blotted out by the glaring things that are still wrong and need to be tended to.

If a writer can get to the point where all the glaring things are tended to before handing it to their betas, then the individuality of the betas' perceptions will start coming out. And if the usually glaring problems crop up here and there, it's just a "Oh, you're doing that again" comment along with lots of other comments. It doesn't have the same effect on the ms.

Also remember that being a beta/CP means that it's not just handing over a "writer do list" and walking away. A good beta will have discussions with you, answer questions as they come up, and maybe have questions for you as well. That's one of my hints that this person is worth holding onto, honestly.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody!
You have no idea how helpful reading over all of these responses has been. (Or maybe you do.) ^_^ It probably didn't show but I was so upset yesterday.

Then they're lazy writers who aren't taking responsibility for their own work. Don't beta for them again. And if they ask why, tell them they're not respecting your contribution by not learning from comments and you're not willing to do the work anymore. No one wants to feel devalued for their time and contribution, after all. It's possible that these writers are of the mindset that they don't have to learn anything because someone else will catch it for them (it's far too common, especially in writers just starting out).

I have stepped away from two of them. It's just kind of hard to end it on a well enough note that they don't take it personally and think I don't want to talk to them at all anymore. I've been there, getting feedback on my crappy first novels and stuff and too stubborn to change and getting mad at people (though I kept it to myself and always thanked people even when I wanted to punch them). They don't realize how much I understand and feel for them. And then after blowing up at me, they come back a few months later with the same crap, begging me to read it. But you're right, there's no point in beating my head against the wall. I have one person left that's like that, but we're actually pretty good friends and she's not blowing up at me. Just being argumentative and defensive and refusing to change anything. Then she's like, "I'm going to take a break and fix stuff" and comes back later with like 3 words changed and having put everything else in just a different order on the page. Yeah...looking over this now...I should just tell her to find someone else for a while.

I forgot to add: Something that might help with this is to always get the MS as polished as it can be before handing it off to betas. It makes their lives a lot easier and you won't have the problem of wanting to plow ahead by yourself because you've already plowed ahead beforehand. After handing the MS off to betas, move on to the next book. It'll help you gain distance from the book being beta'ed and by the time they come back, you'll have gained objectivity and have had enough time away from it to come back fresh.

This is very true. I know I can have a quick turn around for people if what they're sending me has been edited and revised already. It also helps if I'm between drafts. So timing is probably part of it, too.

Grenouille Bleue

Love, love me do
Registered
Reaction score
Short answer is: Yes, beta readers can make or break your book.
You just have to find the good beta readers, which might take some time or dedication.

This means people you trust, who won't hesitate to say what they have in mind, and won't be afraid to hurt your feelings.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
For me, it's more valuable to have beta readers who aren't writers. They can just tell me where they got bored, which characters they identified with, parts that twigged their disbelief, etc., without getting caught up in the little details.

Having a writer as a beta, in my experience, is bad for me because:

- I'm expected to reciprocate. I know this is selfish, but I'd rather be working on my own stuff! I don't find that I learn a lot from beta-ing, so time spent doing it is wasted time.

- There tend to be ego-issues. A reader is generally happy to give suggestions and then not worry too much if I chose to ignore them or make only small changes in response. Writers, in my limited experience, tend to think their suggestions are gospel and get offended if I don't go along.

- Related to this, writers tend to want to FIX the problems they see, rather than just point them out. I'm looking for people's impressions, not their writing. I have my own style, my own goals, and my own ideas, and I can make my own changes. I just want to get people's general impressions, not have them rewrite my book in their own style.

All of these criticisms of using writers as betas definitely apply to myself when I try to beta for someone else. It's really hard to keep myself out of writer-mode!

I've never really had a critique partner, so I don't know about that relationship. For betas, I like to run my books past a few, but I've also gone without them when I'm in a hurry and I haven't noticed a significant loss. Some people work well alone, others work well as part of a team.

All that said, I'm definitely going to try to get better about thanking my betas in future books. It's just good manners, and I've been pretty lax in that area.

Grenouille Bleue

Love, love me do
Registered
Reaction score
One thing you have to be aware of, though, is that beta-readers aren't the author. You are.

This means their opinion count. But you have the ultimate say in whether you'll change something or not.

We have a saying in France that goes like this: "If twenty random people tell you you're a horse, then you probably are". Well, if twenty beta-readers tell you there's a problem with one of your chapters, or scenes, then there probably is. That's the reason why you don't need just one or two readers. You need at least ten of them.

One thing I usually ask of them is to rank the chapters they read from the very best to the very worst. No question asked, no justification needed. Just "which part of the book was the greatest to read", "which part of the book was the most of a drag". Even those who liked or hated everything might be able to give you such a list, and you'll soon realize where you have to improve your style and/or plot.

Hope this helps :D

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, you really do need to find the right fit, and that takes as much time sometimes as writing the story. If you get to know the people involved, 1-3 is sufficient because you know you can trust them to see the things that need seeing. You can also go to a critique group (to get more people to look at it), but you still have to learn which ones are more "valuable". As to how polished your ms is when you hand it over, that depends on the agreement you come to with your betas/CPs - if they know what to expect, what you're looking for specifically, then they can better tell you if and when they'll be able to get through it. The most successful 'teams' are those that communicate effectively on all matters.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
My critique partners are absolutely vital. Yes. Absolutely. Thing is, writers get blind to their writing. I'll churn out draft after draft of writing I think's perfect and by the time my CPs are finished, it looks like a red pen vomited all over my computer. Happens to everyone. Seeing my writing through my critique partners' eyes is invaluable.

I agree here. I'm using a beta reader to help me with my second book. Part of me wants to have 50 eyes on my WIP to make sure it is going well, but that is my insecurity. With my first book, I think I didn't try hard enough but with this one, I'm trying too hard. Someday I hope to feel more secure with myself as an author so I wouldn't wish to have 50 people critique my WIP (for the record, I have a beta reader and I'm part of a critique group. That's enough really).

ETA: I'd love to have a non-writer as a beta, but its not easy to find someone willing to commit to helping you.

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I have a few readers, all of whom I met here. One who I'll run ideas by. I suspect I would have had a harder road finding an agent/publisher without her, she's fast and honest and a great writer herself. No, I won't tell you her name, I'm not sharing!

I don't, personally, think non-writers make good beta readers. In my experience, people who don't know the craft of writing don't have the tools or writing-specific vocabulary to give good feedback. The few times I've tried non-writers I've gotten "Yeah, it's really good" which ain't helpful, or "I didn't like it," and then a vague explanation why.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'm swapping betas right now. We'll see how it works out. She's given me some very good advice. I hope my advice is as useful to her.

I don't know if we'll beta beyond this. We have different styles and also interests in types of stories. It's difficult to beta if person A likes to write X but person B likes to read Y. One has to get beyond one's personal preferences and into whether the story is a good example of THAT type of story.

On my side, in addition to wanting an outside view of my story, I also am hoping to learn more about how to beta more helpfully. So I really hope my feedback is useful as she's getting it from someone who isn't as good at comments as she is.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Once upon I had a critique group I met with regularly. It was good for a time; we were working on very different things and they did catch some things and ask some questions that strengthened my projects. I was the only one who was published at that point. In the end it fell apart because one of the members didn't feel like I took enough of their advice. I could have gone through my projects and pointed out all the things I changed at their suggestion, but it wasn't going to make any difference. I think it stemmed from the feeling that I thought I was better than them because I already had books out. I think it was the other way around though.

Honestly, I've always had better luck writing and re-writing on my own and then submitting for publication. Critique partners have been a great social outlet, but aren't a necessary publishing partner for me.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My beats/writers group are invaluable. Not just for the crits (though those are awesome) but for general support too.

I send stuff to my writers group (first 3 chaps) if I want a broad view, as much crit of premise as well as execution. They pick it to pieces and it helps, tremendously

Then, when I've taken that into account and written the whole damned thing, I have betas -- my two usual suspects from here (hai guys!) who I sawp WIPs with and I'll ask if anyone in the writing group has time for a read.

For certain things, a beta is essential -- for instance, in the books in my sig, the POV is a guy -- and I am not. So I asked one of my betas (a dude) to crit with that in mind -- is there anywhere where my MC appears to be not a guy? There's also a thing of a broader persepctive. When your book is out, it becomes subject to other people's perception and in essence is no longer the book you wrote, it's the book people read, and they bring their own stuff to that. So it's helpful to get a few perspectives in that regard too.

Yes the actual digging (work) is all mine. But sometimes, I need someone to act as a metal detector, and tell me where I need to dig.

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
I've had some amazing betas, who made good points. Some solid readers who I wouldn't call betas, who gave me non-writerly perspective. And my new crit group is tearing what I honestly thought was a really solid story to shreds (I love them for it) right now. It's amazing what other people can do for you.

My writing style is to bang out huge chunks of words, then throw them away and rewrite completely. The biggest issue with that is when I take something out and forget to put it back in - or leave in a section that should have gotten pulled out. I need beta-type people to find those for me.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
My writing would make absolutely no sense without my beta. Though my only "published" writing is just my fan fiction at this point, she has been a HUGE help. So I am assuming that as my as yet only NaNo novels are a mess, a beta/editor will be invaluable to me. Because apparently, what makes sense in my head, doesn't make sense to others. Who knew? :p

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
After I threw my wip through two drafts, I finally felt good about it to give out to betas. I gave it to three consequetively, swapping with each, and only one of them I'm still in contact with. They send me bits and pieces to crit and follow up on to see how things are, and I hope that they'll be responsive in receiving the same from me. My other two betas just sort of.. dropped off. We attempted to keep emailing, but things get in the way and I understand.

Even though they all read the same draft, they all had varying opinions, which was both startling and refreshing. I knew I needed a fresh pair of eyes to look at it, but having three at once was super helpful. When two or three brought up the same issues, then obviously those things need to be changed. It was a unanimous decision that the intro 5-8 chapters were slow and it needed more urgency. But smaller, certain things where one at a time, betas picked apart things, then I sit down and analyze that and give it second consideration.

After receiving the crits back, I took all three copies, opened them up on my dual screens, printed the original draft and then marked it all down, chapter by chapter, with all three crits on the same draft. Now, as I do a massive rehaul on the next draft/revision, I'll have all these things to consider right in my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.