Published on Meetup?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hi,

If I post a chapter or segment of my work on a Meetup group (in the conversations section) for the group to read and critique, is it considered published? Would I lost those rights to sell to another publisher?

Thanks to anyone who knows more about this than me!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Karen, I think you'll get the best response to this in the Publishing forum, since it's a question of rights etc., so I'm going to move you over there. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that it would be considered published if it was posted where the general public could see it. If it's behind a password or otherwise on a setting where only your meetup group members can see it, then it wouldn't be considered published, imo.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you are currently under contract, carefully peruse the fine print. I've seen at least two contracts in the last year that hosted language that an IP attorney cautioned me could be construed as to classify almost anything accessible (via internet) as published - password restrictions notwithstanding. I declined both of these contract offers for a host of cumulative reasons, but this particular pitfall was certainly numbered among them.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Also, read Meetup's terms and conditions before you post. Some sites take copyright to all that's posted to them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you up load it as a file and mark it "for members only", as I read it there is no real different between that and emailing it to those people. That is how my Meetup group does it. It also avoids formatting problems.